1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Derby cleared of all charges

Discussion in 'Championship' started by DerbyFanMatt, Aug 25, 2020.

1. DerbyFanMatt

DerbyFanMatt Persistant underdogs!

Rooney was a free transfer I think so yes it would be the wages they’re paying

2. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    In terms of Derby and Rooney, yes the sponsor apparently pays at least a part of his wage. The name of the sponsor and the number worn by Rooney will give an idea as to how commercial this move was

I guess they simply class it as a 'sponsorship' paid to the club who then use the money to pay the player. So yes, it takes it out of FFP. And yes, if clubs can find businesses willing to fund signings through 'sponsorship' there is nothing the FA, PL or EFL can do about it.

As for your final paragraph, even though I see the point your making (moneybags owners can come in, take a club to the promised land and then just **** off), I'm not sure Bournemouth or Wigan are deserving of your criticism. Whelan spent money at Wigan because he wanted to take his club to the next level and he achieved that and put an FA Cup in their trophy cabinet. Did he leave them in a worse state than when he arrived? I doubt it so not sure their recent success can form part of the reasoning behind their current position. And Bournemouth slowly built a squad from L2 and worked their way through the leagues - yes they've had support of decent investors (or so I believe) but again have they really been spending above their means? Probably not, they just had a good manager who was able to make average players good and good players very good.

I wouldn't say either of those clubs have ever been 'massive', its clubs like Wolves that questions would have to be asked of if their owners ever pulled the plug. Doubt their current finances would make them self sufficient without their billionaire owners

SWFC 66 likes this.
  3. RednBlacklife

RednBlacklife Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    For us, Max Demin is 'only' worth £150 million apparently, so not one of the mega rich owners. Our 'pushing the boat out' was wages rather than fees to keep players here. I mean we got £3 million from Norwich for Grabban and spent it on Callum Wilson. But them you need to have a decent manager at the same time to get up to the promised land.

4. MagpieBee

MagpieBee Registered User

Supports:
    Brentford
    Bournemouth broke FFP rules in the process, so yeah they were spending beyond their means.

Tomohawk likes this.
  5. David Bird

David Bird Registered User

Supports:
    Derby County
    No mate u will find we have a better support than yourselfs, when in the same division, u are lucky to get 25000 average in the Championship, Derby is at least 25000 plus.
    But keep trying to be bigger than us, Steve Mac the best manager in your history lol.

6. Owl1969

Owl1969 Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield Wednesday
    He asked if historically they had bigger support though.
    I'm not sure who's right, but your answer is to a different question to what he asked.

7. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    @DerbyFanMatt @David Bird
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cheating your way round FFP and you're rock bottom of the league :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Have a good season lads!

Parmos likes this.
  8. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Forest hate you too

Supports:
    Forest
  9. DerbyFanMatt

oh David

10. DerbyFanMatt

Oh and have to laugh at cheating our way round FFP. I think you’ll find cheating is where you break rules. Last I heard we’ve not broken them?

11. David Bird

David Bird Registered User

Supports:
    Derby County
    A poor season, but we are no cheats, and when we can go back, I will be there supporting my team, through thick and thin. Once A Ram Always A Ram.

12. LUFCAndy

LUFCAndy Registered User

Supports:
    Leeds
    Seems like they're not paying their players. Not sure where they are with the takeover but that guy who's trying to purchase gave Newcastle a merry dance too before not putting any money down...

13. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Love to know Dave's thoughts on this development.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

14. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    The takeover is agreed apparently, to the point of the legalities being sorted. The only sticking point being that their new 'owner' has yet to stump up any cash for it......

15. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Administration looming ?

shaka likes this.
  16. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Would buying a club out of administration cost less? I guess it would also mean current debt levels would be reduced as a percentage of debt would be written off.

Quite the ploy if that is what their new owner is up to

17. DerbyFanMatt

Having just read a book about the last 15 years at the club and the ups (very few) and downs (most years) I fully expect admin very soon

18. shaka

shaka Registered User

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Good news for those of us struggling this season on the pitch but a disaster for those that love the club dearly.

This might be the first of a few clubs to go into admin this season.

19. LUFCAndy

LUFCAndy Registered User

Supports:
    Leeds
    Probably, as for one they'd take a points deduction which would leave them likely to be relegated. Also if happens before the end of the window would mean a fire sale of any assets (Sibley and Knight probably the only who are worth millions) cheap like what happened with Wigan.

20. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    You could probably get a pretty accurate representation of what he’d say by spilling a tin of Alphabet spaghetti on the floor and then scrawling “once a ram, always a ram” at the end of it.

Owl1969, RednBlacklife and Tomohawk like this.