1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Derby.....

Discussion in 'Championship' started by millers, Jan 16, 2021.

1. smogtilldeath

smogtilldeath Registered User

Supports:
    the 1 and only mighty boro
    i don’t think that is the be all and end all though .

salary expectations for championship players are just too high too. Not to mention greedy agents that demand lucrative fees . We have had players here on 35k a week here while in the championship , that would have been considered a premier league wage about 10 years ago .

I also think the parachute payments have made the situation worse in the championship too . There is a danger of promotion becoming a relatively closed shop when the teams coming down have such a big financial advantage . Means teams must push themselves out of their comfort zone to compete .

rather than using the parachute payments to just financially secure themselves in the event of a relegation , clubs are just using them to try and go straight back up. That means obscene transfer fees and wages . We did it ourselves , and it blew up in our faces . Gibson at least cut out cloth accordingly , but many clubs don’t . Villa would have been ****ed if they didn’t go up

RedDogChris likes this.
  2. SpongeParr

SpongeParr Registered User

Supports:
    QPR
    That was my point, that if they go down then the club would be worth less so you don't have to pay such high fees.

With new owners, you would think that they would do it right and wouldn't throw money at promotion, but build up to it with players with resale value and lower wages.

Tomohawk likes this.
  3. Wycombe Royal

Wycombe Royal Waskly Wabbit

Supports:
    Reading
    Offically entered administration and deducted 12 points. Forest are no longer bottom, and could be 3rd from bottom soon.....

4. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Great job by Cooper getting us off bottom without playing a game

Sent from my 6025H_EEA using Tapatalk

Tomohawk and ForestRob like this.
  5. Scott Chegg

Scott Chegg Registered User

Supports:
    Tennis Borussia Berlin
  6. White Hind

White Hind Registered User

Supports:
    Bolton Wanderers, Gimnastic de Tarragona, NY Giants
    As long as you’ve got a team to support at the end of this, and get decent ownership who will rebuild sustainably, it’s not the end of the world, believe me.

David Bird likes this.
  7. David Bird

David Bird Registered User

Supports:
    Derby County
    Sorry to hear this, what the **** is happening to our beautiful game, hope both Derby and Reading get out of this mess we both find ourself in.

8. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Clubs are cheating, being caught out and being punished with points deductions

Mowgli, SpongeParr and MagpieBee like this.
  9. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    True, but some Premier League clubs are financially doping left right and centre and getting away with financial penalties or 'technicalities' that amount to less than a slap on the wrist, whilst other Premier League clubs (like United) are carrying hundreds of millions in debts and the powers-that-be don't bat an eye. Yet a Football League club doing the same can be effectively relegated.

Arkwright likes this.
  10. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Well we all know there is a blinkered view towards PL clubs. I suppose the difference is that PL clubs can continue to pay their bills whilst they have their financial backers.

Let's not forget that Derby have failed to pay the taxman, there is nothing worse that a company can do when it comes to finances

RedDogChris likes this.
  11. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Very true, but relegating them won't help them get out of their financial difficulties.

David Bird likes this.
  12. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Well they won't be chasing the impossible dream of the PL which has put them in the position they are now in if they are in League 1. Let's not start pretending that Derby are being hard done by here - they've cheated FFP rules for years, conducted dodgy deals such as the stadium sale, played with accounting figures through amortisation and then basically tried to hide accounts whilst not paying creditors like HMRC.

They will get what they deserve, the only concern is whether it will be enough of a punishment considering all of the charges they could be facing!

13. David Bird

Supports:
    Derby County
    Not clubs, owners are doing this, they should be made to be more accountable

Tomohawk likes this.
  14. David Bird

Supports:
    Derby County
    But its the owner who has done this, the football club belongs to the community, owners if they still have the cash or assets should be made to pay by law, which Mel has, Gary Neville was correct we can not let football clubs go out of business due to chairmen doing what they want.

SamB_SCFC and Tomohawk like this.
  15. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Oh ****ing hell, I feared that this day would happen at some point. I actually agree with David Bird on something Owners absolutely should be made more accountable for their actions whilst running a club!

That's it folks, I'll have to leave the forum now

16. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    The FFP rules are different and are enforced by different organisations.

17. Arkwright

Arkwright Barnsleytilidie

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    I know what you mean, but the club doesn't belong to the community in an ownership sense....maybe a fan's buyout would change that, but these crooks just get away with everything while fans suffer. Stevie Wonder and David Blunkett need removing from the panel who decides owners are fit to run clubs. I'm pretty sure most Derby fans would just like a club which lives inside it's means as long as there is a club.

18. Luke_1884

Luke_1884 Registered User

Supports:
    Derby County
    All said and done we've failed by 4 million pounds with the sound of it, pending actual figures. That and the delay of account submission (due to the amortisation policy being amended as requested) is the only "Cheating" we've done. Everything else valid within the rules and signed off. Wasn't too long ago that I remember a club 12 miles down the A52 failing by more than 4 million pounds, theres some irony to throw crud our way!

Thankfully yourself and other clubs have had generous owners who have cleared debts. Unlucky for us, our previous owner hasn't. That buck stops with Mel Morris, not Derby County. As it did with Gibson and Fawaz when they paid off chunks of debt to get their club out the mire.

I'm not defending Mel and his actions btw, just a bit of perspective needed I think when going to town on the club. The stadium (within the rules, signed off by internal, independent and an EFL review) is a really bad take to keep on banging on about. Every club in the football league can sell fixed assets if they want.

Administrators press conference was as positive as it could have been, despite TalkSports best efforts to make it sound miserable. Rooney to stay, considerable interest in the club, discount on the debt for potential owners. They've even opened the ticket office for the first time this season. More points to be deducted this season so should leave our League One campaign to start on 0 with everybody else, hopefully.

David Bird and DerbyFanMatt like this.
  19. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Ah I remember you Luke you always were abit naive and blinkered when it comes to your own club. I suppose your one of the people who is still behind Mad Mel and thinks he's done nothing wrong really?

Fawaz was just an idiot which is why we had big losses and mismanagement, at least he didn't screw local businesses and try every dodgy trick in the book to cheat

Administrators always say there's interest, it is in their best interests to put a positive spin on everything, it's wonderful news if Rooney is staying mind I must admit

#579 RedDogChris, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Tomohawk likes this.
  20. Scott Chegg

Scott Chegg Registered User

Supports:
    Tennis Borussia Berlin
    Rooney you genius :laugh:

Wayne thanked the fans for their incredible support and the pride that they given the team and all at the club. Players are so grateful and are playing for the fans. They may not win every match but they will not stop trying.

He also said that he will put up two league tables for the players, one showing where we are actually and the other to show where we would be without the 12 point deduction., so they keep their spirits up and can see how well they are doing. How lucky we are to have him.

[​IMG]

Mowgli and Tomohawk like this.