1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

England squad

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Super_horns, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Steve - Wfc

Steve - Wfc Registered User

Supports:
    Watford
    Bizarre.

2. AFCB-Nutter

AFCB-Nutter Marauding Chezzer!

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Callum Wilson's call-up is a great advert for never giving up no matter how serious your injuries. 2 years out with both knees rebuilt, the bloke is a hero. Very chuffed and proud.

Donnyrovers90 likes this.
  3. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Knee injury apparently.

4. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Wilson is a good pick - he is in form and well some might say good for getting a foul or two!

5. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Exactly.

I agree with you the international calender needs a total revamp. Four two week breaks during the season is ridiculous.

I'd rather the season started later so we could get them out the way, or have a full winter break for the club season where all the internationals are played. The stop start kills the first half of the club season.

6. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Hopefully Rooney & Wilson call ups will give Kane a rest.

Similarly Alli and Dier have both missed games through injury of late. The latter has missed our last two fixtures and is straight in to the England squad, the former is being managed with the number of minutes he's playing and likewise will probably play too many minutes for England.

We've suffered this season because of a long summer, are picking up injuries all over the place and get no break from the internationals. It's bloody frustrating.

7. Dan

Dan Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea FC
    3rd international break in 3 months ffs.

Steve - Wfc likes this.
  8. RiccardoPiccio

RiccardoPiccio Registered User

Supports:
    Wigan Athletic
    Best solution is a two week break in October, no other breaks during season and then when season finishes in early May due to more free slots, a three week break for internationals until last week in May.

International managers would prefer this imo as they get a full 2 and 3 weeks with their players as opposed to a week here and there. Its wrong clubs have to lose players whose wages they are paying for March internationals when it is the business end of the season. A few injuries picked up by your squad whilst they were away on internationals some of which are friendlies in Euro or WC year could mean difference between promotion or relegation or wining league or not. Finally it would give 10 to 12 slots for games meaning just qualifiers and playoffs and no friendlies.

On top of that across all of football calendar i would play all of CL last 16 over 2 weeks [no need to drag it out over 5 weeks as it is tedious and boring] and finally all domestic Cup matches should be one legged affairs. Two legs is unnecessary imo.

Do all this and the club season could be done by first week of May. Internationals in summer put to bed by end of May and players get a proper 6 week recuperation in the summer months of non WC or Euro summers.

Super_horns likes this.
  9. Jefferson

Jefferson Registered User

Supports:
    England
    It shouldn't be about nice send offs. He's the past. He's had his chances. It is supposed to be a new dawn now. As for passing the buckets around for those who wish to donate, they could still do that without Rooney playing.

10. Jefferson

Supports:
    England
    I don't think they should have the seniors and the u21s playing on the same night. Then again I think the other youth sides u17s, u18s, u19s should be played on separate days AND televised. Make it a real international week.

11. Jackson

Jackson Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall
    Delph has been announced as the captain to start the game against USA tomorrow.
    He shouldn't even be in the squad, let alone captain :laugh:.
    Absolute joke of a decision to make him captain.

12. Muller

Muller Fun Bobby

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Christ I actually agree with you Jack surely someone who is a more regular starter will be playing ffs.

13. Jackson

Jackson Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall
    Pickford, Stones, Henderson even Shaw are all more deserving of the captaincy than Delph.

14. Dugout-Demon

Dugout-Demon Aww-You-Beauty

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Rooney deserves a send off from international football, ive got no problem with him playing and i dont understand people who do. Englands top goal scorer and i hope he bags another in his last game.

15. Jefferson

Supports:
    England
    Sideshow Wayne chose to retire a couple of years ago. They shouldn't be indulging him like this. It's supposed to be a new dawn.

16. Eudemonia

Eudemonia Registered User

Supports:
    Dover Athletic FC
    Have I missed something here but when was it announced that ITV would have none of Nations League or international friendlies? And how many years will it be without the matches being broadcast on terrestrial television?