1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

England v Iceland

Discussion in 'Euro 2016 - France' started by Dugout-Demon, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Thomas WBA

Thomas WBA Boing! Boing!

I agree with you and PorkChopExpress.

Now that Southgate has said he doesn't want the England job we can all relax a little.

We need a manager that can get all of this done. I can see a lot of English managers deciding to hide away from the job. Whoever it is they will need a big set of balls on them IMO.
    I hope we don't get a foreign manager who comes in for a nice contract.

An English manager would get more done. It's just finding the right person and most out there wouldn't walk away from what they have at the moment for England as it is.

Bruce has said he may walk away from Hull.

2. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Why is any traction given at all to winning the Toulon tournament? It's the youth football equivalent of the Emirates Cup. Nobody takes it seriously. We beat France in the final with a team of 21 and 22 year old. France's team (and I've never heard of any of them) were all 19 and 20. Teams use it as an under 20 friendly tournament.

At the actual under 21 tournament last year we were awful.

davep, 1991 and Leivapool like this.
  3. W12Rangers

W12Rangers Registered User

Supports:
    Queens Park Rangers
    Sorry to bring up Those showers that have the balls to call themselves International footballers. But I was sent the official Opta stats for the Iceland and England Teams. And the ratings are a joke. if you have seen them already you would have like me wondered what LSD they was taking to come up with these ratings. If you have not seen them here are the joke official marks out of ten from Opta.

Iceland Team.
    Halldorsson 6, Svevarsson 6, Arnason 6, R Sigurdsson 8, Skulason 7, Gudmundsson 7, Gunnarsson 6,G Sigurdsson 6,
    Bjarnsson 6, Sigthorsson 7, Bodvarrsson 7,
    Subs E Bjarnsson 5, Traustason 6

England Team
    Hart 5, Walker 7, Cahill 7, Smalling 7, Rose 6, Dier 6, Rooney 8, Alli 7, Sterling 6, Sturridge 6, Kane 7
    Subs Vardy 6, Rashford 5, Wilshere 7.

Opta, Your system is clearly flawed, any clubs that use them to assess their players performance are wasting their time.
    That is nonsense, what happened to football, what is wrong with just using your eyes.

4. 1991

1991 Registered User

Supports:
    Arsene F.C
    I don't know why people are so dead set against foreign managers. Sven got us to quarter finals back to back to back, right now that doesn't look so bad!

5. W12Rangers

W12Rangers Registered User

Supports:
    Queens Park Rangers
    Not me. Klinsmann, Mancini. Would not be upset if either of those two got the job.

6. davep

davep The Alzheimer's club

Supports:
    leicester city f.c.
    Ok can we leave Nottm Forest out of this !

7. When in Rome

When in Rome Guerilla

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Agree. The defending was appalling for both goals, what with FIVE England players marking one Icelandic player and the empty corner of the pitch from the throw, and not one of the three defenders getting tight or making a challenge/block for the 2nd goal.

And how was Rooney an 8??!? Sturridge is a good player but he and plenty of the other midfield and attacking options were 5s and 6s, the only 6s and 7s we should be reading about is where they were at (6s and 7s)

8. When in Rome

When in Rome Guerilla

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Without trawling back through this thread, are they?!? FA seemed to think English was the way to go, frankly when the "best" English managers in England are the likes of Pardew, Woy, fat sam and then even the likes McClown and Bruce.

I don't know if there is a global ranking for managers, but if any featured in the top 50 I'd be a bit surprised, top 100 also a bit of a push although depends if you're looking for someone to manage a club like Barcelona or one like Swansea or WBA........... Best most English managers can hope to manage at is a club like Liverpool or spudz, sadly. No great surprise when a club like Leicester won the league their manager was not nearly English

1991 likes this.
  9. ritchie_50

Supports:
    Liverpool
    The manager of the England team should really be English. Same applies for every nation really, you should have a native in charge. The problem is if you're paying out 3.5 million a year and that money can attract a far better foreigner than the English manager getting it then what should you do? Do you abide by ideology or get the better manager? The appalling state of English managers is a long term problem now that is a long term FA problem. I'd say there's good chance if you had, say, Mourinho in charge of the England team it'd be England lining up to face Portugal on Wednesday.

I think even Capello's reign doesn't look as bad considering the last 4 years we've had. Qualifying was a walkover but South Africa was awful. That really was a poor squad of players though. He also inherited a team that had just missed out on Euro 2008. He caught the real back end of the supposed golden generation and there wasn't the players emerging that there has been since. I thought Euro 2012 would have gone better but then the Terry thing happened. The other problem with Capello was his inability to learn the language (same with Russia) so he couldn't communicate properly with the players. If you have a foreign manager they have to speak good English.

Sven was good up to a point. He was too soft with the players, so the likes of Beckham had too much influence over team selection and tactics and it was always the big names getting picked even if they didn't fit together. If Plan A didn't work then he couldn't change a game either.

10. Trent Mist

Trent Mist Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Ooh, that's a low blow dave.

11. davep

davep The Alzheimer's club

Supports:
    leicester city f.c.
    ;) x

12. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Registered User

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    Hopefully I'm right. I have a good feeling about this appointment.

13. Kiz

Kiz The Erotic Vulture

Supports:
    Tottenham,Dartford
    Someone has to.

14. ritchie_50

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Hodgson on BBC radio this morning, with his best chum Patrick Barclay, complaining about how unfortunate they were to have to run into the 'juggernaut' of Iceland! This the man who described Northampton Town as 'formidable opposition' after they knocked Liverpool out the league cup. Northampton were rock bottom of the football league at the time.

Typical of the man's losing mentality. In a knockout international tournament, who did he expect to face? This is the same Iceland that got battered by France in the next round. Had we beat Iceland he'd be complaining how unlucky they were to have to draw France. This isn't qualifying where you get to beat up a bunch of amateur teams. Although he did get a schooled by a manager who is a part time dentist.

15. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Registered User

Supports:
    None
    Yep - Speaks volumes about the man's mentality and that's got to transfer to the players who already have enough pressure on thei shoulders every time they pull on a white shirt .

16. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Iceland had some good results before we played them and have done so since playing a certain way.

We were just simply complacent beforehand and clueless when chasing the game which showed up our technical faults and ability to make game changing decisions.

#596 Super_horns, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  17. Steve1956

Steve1956 Respect

Supports:
    Burnley
    I can't believe your still harping on about this shit!

18. Dan

Dan WWWWWWWWWWWWW

Supports:
    Chelsea FC
    Never mind that Steve, I still can't believe we lost to Iceland!

19. Steve1956

Steve1956 Respect

Supports:
    Burnley
    I can :D