1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

England's Most Successful Club General Chit-Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by The Fuzz, Jun 9, 2013.

1. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United, Detroit City FC
    that crest looks a little janky

2. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Pfizer'd
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions

Wouldn't worry me overmuch, he's not the future and has already missed about 50% of this season through injury.

3. mattamomo

mattamomo Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    He was never going to be long term. But not having him another season is a bit worrisome with how reluctant we will be to address the many positions we still need to recruit for.

Him leaving would push another centre forward to high priority, on top of already needing a creative wide player, a midfielder and probably another centre back.

I have zero faith we would address those issues next window, so adding another issue on top will no doubt be damaging.

4. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Pfizer'd
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    True enough, but him staying gives the Glazer twats an excuse to leave the problems with the strikers for another season. I'll be amazed if we sign anyone for top money in the summer, but top money will be even more 12 months later when everyone's back to normal.

5. Foxwell

Foxwell A little bit of the bubbly

Supports:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd be disappointed if Cavani went, I'd like to see us take on his 1 year extension. He has missed games through injury but also missed some other games unusually due to the early season quarantine and the social media post ban. He really does give us a different dimension when he's up front, looks up for every game, and can finish. Agreed that he's certainly not the future though, and we should be going all out for Haaland this summer if there's even the slightest chance he'll come, or failing that, whatever top striker is available and isn't named Martial.

6. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    if cavani leaves, it's not all that bad. After all the drama and speculation, we could finally bring Josh king to old Trafford

7. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja In need of a new username

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Also the number of games Cavani has missed due to injury is a bit artificial in terms of how many due to the congested season, it would be better next season and we'll be able to manage his recovery better so theoretically should get fewer injuries. I want him to stay.

8. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    There is a typo in the analysis. The positive figures, indicates we made a profit, opposed to a loss.

9. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja In need of a new username

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Soooo Martial is gonna survive another year at the club :smackhead

10. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Pfizer'd
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    When Cavani leaves I can't see us also ditching the Manekin, so yes we're probably stuck with him for yet another year. :(

11. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Who is John Murtough, Manchester United's new director of football? - United In Focus

Manchester United’s attempts appointing a director of football has become a running joke among supporters over the past couple of years.

Dating back to Jose Mourinho days, this was cited as an aspiration to set the club up in a new direction.

When Mourinho was fired, it was suggested back in 2018 that United’s priority would be to hire a director of football before a manager, via the MEN.

Nothing happened, but rumours have been ongoing, and usually seen as a way to placate fans in a way of ‘it will get better’ after numerous disappointing transfer windows.

So it came from a bolt from the blue that United have actually gone and done it, appointing a new director of football today.

Two roles have been created. John Murtough is the club’s director of football.

He will be helped by Darren Fletcher, who is now ‘technical director’ having joined the coaching staff at the end of last year.

Murtough was already in employment at United as ‘head of football development’.

He has been at United since 2013, with The MEN reporting he previously worked with David Moyes at Everton.

Murtough ‘played a pivotal part in the academy that produced Wayne Rooney and Ross Barkley,’ ESPN reported. Prior to this he worked at Fulham.

His recent work was focused on developing the United’s data science strategy, which looked at everything from medical, recruitment and coaching.

The club website says: “Football Director, John will work day-to-day with Ole to align recruitment and other strategies and to ensure that the first team has the best-in-class operational support it needs to succeed.

“Ole will continue his role in the recruitment process, supported by extensive scouting and data analytics functions that will continue to report to John.”

Training Ground Guru report that the Glazers are big supporters of Murtough’s data science led projects.

Ed Woodward told club website: “John has been integral to our progress in all these areas and his deep understanding of development ensures the club’s traditions of bringing young players through from academy to first team will continue.

“This new position is a natural evolution that harnesses his leadership qualities and his years of experience in the game.”

The MEN report Murtough played a key role in the signing of young talent Hannibal Mejbri from Monaco in 2019.

PorkchopExpress likes this.
  12. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Pfizer'd
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Never heard of him, but if the Glazers are 'big supporters' then I'm already worried.

13. Kyle Hatch

Kyle Hatch Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    If it means someone other than Woodward doing negotiations for players transfer fees and contracts, then it can only be a good thing. It can't be worse right.

Right?

14. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    About 5 years too late.

15. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    The Athletic has put together this little chart to clarify our development and transfer structure

EwJX1A6WQAwAPPF.jpeg

16. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    While I'm willing to give murtough and fletcher time, I'm also a little disappointed that we didn't push for someone like Campos, monchi, or ragnick.

JTC77 and PorkchopExpress like this.
  17. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I would have loved Edein back at the club, but I can't see him leaving Ajax.

18. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Pfizer'd
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
  19. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    How they were able to buy the club the way they did is beyond me. There should be rules against it

#4399 upper90, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  20. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Pfizer'd
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    In other countries, like Germany, there are rules against it.

upper90 likes this.