1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Europa League 2017

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by DeadlyDemon, Dec 9, 2016.

1. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Hope we have a proper crack at this. Final is in Stockholm and competition isn't as strong as it was last season.

We're seeded for the round of 32 and can play one of the following:
    Olympiakos, Anderlecht, AZ Alkmaar, Astra Giurgiu, Celta Vigo, Gent, Krasnodar, PAOK, Hapoel Be'er Sheva, Villareal, Rostov, Borussia Monchengladbach, Legia Warsaw, Ludogorets Razgrad, Athletic Bilbao

Hope we avoid the Russian. Other than that not too fussed.

I've been to Anderlecht before and don't fancy another trip to West Germany so soon but still a couple of good aways there.

2. SpursLegend

SpursLegend Formarly known as Lockie

Supports:
    Spurs - COYS!
    Bolded the teams I'd realistically be able to get to for the away game, 8 out of the 15.

We're going to get Astra though aren't we... months of jokes at West Ham's expense back in our faces if we lose! :laugh:

3. DeadlyDemon

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I'm off to America in April so saving pennies for that.

Hoping I can squeeze in a Euro away trip too so pretty much looking at the same ones you'd put in bold. Only exception would be Anderlecht which I'd give a miss.
    Been to Anderlecht's ground already and been to Brussels more than once so would gamble on us getting through and do the next one.

4. Hazza

Hazza ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Supports:
    Tottenham
    If we get to the final, I will beg and beg for a couple of tickets. Live in Stockholm so would love to go with the missus.

5. SpursLegend

Supports:
    Spurs - COYS!
    I wouldn't worry too much about that :laugh:

6. DeadlyDemon

Supports:
    Tottenham
    So Gent it is!

Still not sure if I'm going which is not ideal given how quickly travel jumps up in price. Booking flights to the US in my November payday is leaving my bank balance looking a little bleak so I've got to wait until next Monday before I can book the Eurostar/flights :(

Winnable tie at least so might skip a round and hope for somewhere exciting in the next round. I am tempted by Gent but I've been before.

You going SL? Or anyone else?

7. BeeLz

BeeLz Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I'll probably go if I'm in the country since it's pretty close obviously, but might be somewhere SEA by then :)

8. SpursLegend

Supports:
    Spurs - COYS!
    I'm going yes. Eurostar Thursday morning, back Friday afternoon.

Got an airbnb for £41 between 4 of us

9. superyids

superyids Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham & Engand
    Pretty happy with gent. Hopefully we can rotate and still be too strong.

I can see DDs point. Comp definitely seems weaker this year. Maybe winning the Sevilla cup will be our best avenue into the CL. That might actually apply to utd aswell.

10. DeadlyDemon

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Tickets start at £5. Great gesture from the club :love:

11. jimbobfc

jimbobfc Registered User

Supports:
    Neutral
    That is a great gesture from the clubs! Too many fans are being priced out of football at the moment.

12. superyids

Supports:
    Tottenham & Engand
    Strong team tonight or not?
    Will he rest a few or will he decide to take a strong team given that we dont have a prem game this week.

Probably a mix is best I guess

13. DeadlyDemon

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Think we'll go strong tonight and weaker against Fulham on Sunday.

Hopefully wrap the tie up and can start taking players off for Sunday.

14. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane glory glory

Supports:
    Spurs since 1990
    Looks like you're right, and that we'll be weaker this weekend.
    Didn't give us a result in belgium though, we look soo poor at the moment.
    Getting Vertonghen and Rose back would solve a lot, and it's said Vertonghen might return against Fulham.
    Rose is the more important one though, the one that allows us to play our style.
    Getting flashbacks to Glenn Hoddle days, when his 352 formation depended on wing backs - and we did have them, two off the best in the world: Stephen Carr and Christian Ziege. Sadly they were both injury prone and hardy played at the same time, and we looked appalling when we were without either. Taricco was a nasty solid defender, but couldn't fly like Ziege. Just as Davies can't do what Rose do

15. DeadlyDemon

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I still think we'll get through but it doesn't bode well for the rest of the competition.

The sooner we're at full strength the better. I do have sympathy for Davies but we're missing Rose.

Although several played badly on Thursday. Probably one of Dembele's worst games for Spurs.

16. superyids

Supports:
    Tottenham & Engand
    well that rounds out a miserable European campaign this season. pathetic CL display and now beaten by a team we were easy favourites against. I suppose we can focus on the league & FA cup now. hopefully no danger of burnout.

on a bright side around 80,000 for a Europa league game and another record broken. impressive! think this bodes well for 'home' attendances next season.

17. BeeLz

BeeLz Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Yeah, pretty abysmal european campaign this season and what a missed opportunity, next round would have been Genk, which is another team we should be beating.
    Ah well, that's football and with a squad as young as ours you'll make mistakes like these, lets hope the boys and Poch learn from it and we we'll do better next season after getting maybe getting 1 or 2 more additions in the summer. No need to be pessimistic. Any other day and we would have beaten them yesterday, we didn't play bad. In Gent we played poor and they played well, last season they also did well in the CL against Valencia, Zenit and Lyon. On their day they are good side with for me the best Belgian manager.

On the plus side, no excuses now to not end the season strong in the league and let's hope we won't choke against millwall.

18. KevRowe61

KevRowe61 Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Our dire showing in Europe this season as just highlighted the fact that we are still a long way off being a top top team in England never mind Europe. We have a very good plan A which works against lesser teams but falls short especially away from home against the better teams. Sadly tho we have not got enough creativity in midfield or up front for a plan B. Keep Kane and Eriksen quiet and we struggle.