1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Europa League 2018/19

Discussion in 'Uefa Champions League & Europa League' started by Dirk, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    I took it as him taking the piss, but could be wrong. He wasn't even named on the 12 man sub bench despite Chelsea naming 11, as he must not have been registered for the competition. Bizarre that he's in full kit.

Had to laugh at Jake Humphrey's commenting when he lifted it, "and they couldn't have done it without you Rob" :laugh:

BoscombeLass likes this.
  2. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    This is the worry. Liverpool have a huge amount of pressure on them. They haven't won a trophy in years despite big investment and coming close on a number of occasions. They haven't won anything under Klopp yet and keep losing in finals which plays into the theory that Klopp is a bottler. Both Liverpool and Klopp really, really need this trophy incredibly badly.

Tottenham on then other hand have massively overachieved by getting this far and are just happy to be there. Few expect them to win and they have little pressure on them. Arsenal seemed to struggle with the pressure yesterday while Chelsea played with more freedom. Will the same thing happen again?

3. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    I disagree on that. Spurs are in a bit of an upturn that isn't necessarily expected to last and much like when they missed out on the title in 2016, this could be seen by many as a rare chance to win something major. Which adds huge pressure. Liverpool on the other hand were in the final only last year.
    Which of the two squads do you think are more likely to be taken apart by other clubs in the transfer market? Liverpool look more capable of sustaining their current status.

4. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Slàinte mhath!

Supports:
    Joe Gomez

Good points by both of you, I have said elsewhere that losing this would hurt more than the Europa League final the other year, or the league in 13/14. Liverpool do simply have to win. We saw last night an unremarkable Chelsea side have an iffy campaign, yet get over the line to win another major trophy, on the back of the FA Cup last season, and the league the year before - they know how to win, and winning breeds winning, something Liverpool have lost the last decade, and thats why its important that now has to be the time when Klopp has fully got together his team, to win something with it, as though many applaud what the club is doing on and off the pitch, we have yet to get over the line with anything for such a while now.

Spurs do have nothing to lose, and the pressure is off them, but that can be a disadvantage when the game comes round, the Champions League Final has pressure like no other in club football. Liverpool went into last years final like wide-eyed children, hopeful and innocent; but came up against experienced men who by hook and crook, by fair means and foul, snatched their dream from them. We wondered how LFC would react, and from day one this season there has been a look of determination from the Reds that they won't allow that to happen again, and we have seen the spirit, pragmatism and experience this side now has time and time again in the league and in Europe - now Liverpool are playing the role of Real Madrid this time, and they must deliver. If not, then though I still think they'll compete, the time might have already past for them to become winners in anything.

#964 SALTIRE, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    SamB_SCFC likes this.
  5. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Yeah if Liverpool lose this final again you have to worry for them going forward because of the huge psychological damage of losing yet another final to a team as average as this Tottenham side. You'd have to think that, despite how unlucky they were not to win the title this season with an insanely high points total and two Champions League finals in a row, Klopp would surely only get one more season to try and win a trophy.

Ultimately football is about winning trophies for top clubs like Liverpool and their lack of trophies in the last decade is woefully poor for a club of their stature. There would have to come a point where the near misses just aren't enough and eventually if Klopp can't deliver a trophy they'd have to try and find someone who can. The Chelsea analogy is a good one. Despite never being hugely impressive at any point this decade, Chelsea's trophy haul is up there with the best. They have a winning culture and just seem to know how to get it over the line even when they aren't always the best team. It's sort of the opposite at Liverpool and the time has come where they simply HAVE to win something. This isn't Real Madrid or Barcelona in the final, it's Tottenham. They just have to win it this time or else awkward questions will need asking about why they consistently fail at the critical moment.

6. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Spurs are average in whose company?

7. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    I guess its a bit like the World Cup and the 3rd choice goalie getting a medal or hogging the limelight!

8. Leivapool

Leivapool Arrogantly inferior.

Supports:
    Liverpool
    He was 4th choice goalie!

Super_horns likes this.
  9. Dugout-Demon

Dugout-Demon Aww-You-Beauty

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Plays into the theory, STFU.

10. Dugout-Demon

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Win or lose this trophy i back klopp all the way, he is building a dynasty and i am willing to wait.

11. Dugout-Demon

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Till the 1st of june. No.6.

12. Boz

Boz Registered User

Supports:
    The Arse

Only because what you posted was horrible, can't you see that?

Look, I wasn't getting at you - it was about what you posted, It was unnecessary.

Always felt you to be decent, which is why I said earlier it was well below what we
    (well, perhaps just me?) expect from you - hopefully you'll get back to being Muller.
    Genuinely amusing & entertaining... and due to the distinct shortage of that on here
    you should know it's appreciated, OK, mate?

13. Quickeyg

Quickeyg Banned

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Enjoyed that game and well done to Chelsea beating Arsenal 4-1 (AFTV was funny). As a keen boxing fan I couldn't help notice them advertising Warrington vs Galahad and Fury vs Schwarz probably do the same Saturday before during half-time and full-time. Bring on the weekend I say and don't forget to buy that extra EXTRA food and drink sports fans. :goodluck:thumb

BoscombeLass likes this.
  14. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip
    Oh you’re actually serious...lol

15. BoscombeLass

BoscombeLass Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    DT getting wound up and Robbie looking serious, that was a classic!.

Am concerned for Claude though, on his own channel he's posted a rant video and it's the worse I have ever seen him.

16. Realist6

Realist6 Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    The tears are gonna be beautiful. Can’t wait

17. njmcfc1894

njmcfc1894 Registered User

Supports:
    manchester city
    Cant even pick who i want to win , luckily working so just check result once gig is over.

18. Boz

Boz Registered User

Supports:
    The Arse

'Fraid not. This was just another case of...

Hook

Line

and you know the rest, Muller.

For what it's worth, your post #956 was the give away.
    Throughout this little episode you haven't been good enough.

One final thing, DV really isn't funny - and never has been.

gate17 likes this.