1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Europa League 2019-20

Discussion in 'Scottish Football' started by Monty, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    Cheers you too.

We’ll always be in a group and aren’t wearing colours so not too concerned about the danger. Just going to be careful, especially at night.

2. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

Some amount of utter nonsense being spouted about Celtic fans bringing trouble on themselves.

The gist basically is that you can sing pretty much whatever you like, but you can't antagonise the opposition by waving a banner.

The banner itself was anti fascist, so do the people saying this stuff disagree with the sentiment or simply the fact that it upset some nutters?

3. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

What an absolutely sensational performance and result by us.

That has to be up there with the best I've seen from us away in Europe. Aside from the first ten minutes or so we were tremendous and although they had their chances, we also (a number of times) were so close to nicking another before we eventually did with a finish reminiscent of Rogic's in the cup final a few seasons back.

The confidence and energy in the side right now really is something else. Most Celtic sides in my lifetime would certainly not have won a game like that after going behind so early. More likely would have folded and lost comfortably. This team don't get down for too long. They keep believing in themselves and keep pressurising the opposition.

The bravery in possession was wonderful to see. No safety first or constant square passing. There is usually an intent to attack and it's making this team one of the most exciting Celtic sides I've seen.

Through to the knockout stages with two games to go.

Well done to all.

#43 Caesar, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  4. Andy-gers1

Andy-gers1 Mike <3 Shane
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    ****ing scenes

5. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Scottish football benefiting from 2 decent teams pushing each other.

DeadlyDemon likes this.
  6. ccfctommy

ccfctommy Basket Case Club

Supports:
    Coventry City, Rangers
    Fortress Ibrox in Europe.

7. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

Great result for Rangers.

Watched the first hour or so and thought Porto were better, but two quick goals and that was that.

Morelos is by a country mile Rangers most important player.

8. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    8262D35B-E690-4023-BEE8-7A836972B508.jpeg

One of the best nights of my life man, absolute chaos when the goal went in. Lost my voice and had a tear in my eye. Love Celtic.

The Doc likes this.
  9. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

Superb result for us and hopefully a home win against Rennes coupled with Cluj not winning in Italy will see us top the group. We played really well at times after a bad start and it is the character of the team which impressed me the most. For the first 20 mins or so it was looking like a typical away performance from us where passing to a teammate was out of the question but we dug in and turned it round. He's getting a lot of praise for last night but tbh, I thought Eddy was quite poor for long spells of the game. Elyounoussi was again really good and has been for the last few games.

Brilliant finish by Ntcham as well. Thought Forster was having one of those dodgy nights but he certainly made up for it in the later parts of the game. Hopefully Elhamed isn't badly hurt as I also thought he did really well.

Good result for Rangers but my god, if they fell out a window they'd float upwards. Wonder if the whining scouser will be moaning about VAR now as Porto had 2 clear penalties for handball ignored. The second one in particular was strange. Not sure if it's what they do but they seem to have a real habit of running into teams out of form. Maybe they should be given credit for bringing them down to their level but even Pedro Mendes was shocked at how poor Porto were. I guess their manager is under real pressure now as if they don't qualify from that group it will be embarrassing for them.

Even if they're dead rubbers, I want us to go full pelt in the final 2 group games as getting a good seasons coefficient will really help us.

10. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

Disagree in regards to Edouard.

He wasn't tearing defenders apart the way he does domestically, but he still caused them a lot of problems with his movement and I thought he got better as the game went on.

He often gets into great positions but is left frustrated by others being too greedy or choosing the wrong option. Usually Christie or Forrest.

He came up against a far higher quality of defender last night but I still think he acquitted himself well.

11. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

If anybody watches that second half again, look at how confident the players were passing the ball from defence to midfield to attack in many periods of play.

I genuinely can't recall us playing so confidently away in Europe against good opposition.

12. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

I agree with this but ironically, I thought that was his "fault" last night. Not being aware of the best option when he has possession I mean. He wasn't terrible or anything but I thought he could have been a lot better. That said, he really is growing into an excellent footballer and I think we will get more for him than we did for Dembele when Lawwell decides to sell.

13. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

One of our biggest issues for years in Europe is that for some reason we seem to forget how to pass to each other. I know the opposition is usually a higher standard and I think that gets into our players' minds. This season though we seem to have belief that we actually can be a good team with some decent to good players at the level and full credit to Lenny who has got into their heads and made them believe it.

Domestically the mentality of our team has been incredible over the last 3 and a bit seasons and it's beginning to look like Lenny and the staff are getting them to believe they are good enough to beat the likes of Lazio and Rennes (they were expected to be pretty good this season btw) and comfortably beat the likes of the Swedish champions. Lets hope we can keep it going for a few seasons as things at last are beginning to look half decent for us in Europe.

I don't want to compare the 2 overall but there is no doubt at all that Lenny is a better manager than Rodgers in Europe for us.

14. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    That's what stood out for me over anything from that performance. Confidence and bravery.

It would have been easy to retreat knowing that a point puts you in a good position, but every time you got the ball you had the bravery to get the ball forward in numbers.

The goal doesn't come if you've retreated in to your own 18 in stoppage time.

Caesar likes this.
  15. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

I actually think he has more to his game than Dembele.

The potential is frightening.

Minty likes this.
  16. Lisbon 67

Lisbon 67 Registered User

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Just home from Rome a couple of hours ago and can honestly say it's up their with the best of them.

The city was awash with green fot the 2 days i was there. . The people were fantastic, the Police were great with us and all had the same reason, they loved the anti fascist banners on show at the first leg. I must have been told 15 times by people in the street, barmen, older women and taxi drivers that they loved the Green Brigade banners. The medias targetting of them was a scandal as was how they built that game up, we were treated brilliantly from start to finish in a special city. Yes there were 3 stabbings and i feel for the 3 fans but Lazio didn't target the Irish pubs, most wore colours, many walked to the stadium etc. . . All things they stirred up. The vast numbers of Celtic fans in Rome made things difficult for the Nazi hooligans to do much.

As for the performance. . . What can you say.

Super_horns and Caesar like this.
  17. ccfctommy

ccfctommy Basket Case Club

Supports:
    Coventry City, Rangers
    Glad to see everyone got back safe.

18. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    Actually, they did target the Irish pub we were in on the first night. The bar staff called the police and got rid of them though.

19. Lisbon 67

Lisbon 67 Registered User

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Think i saw a video of that.

In general though the place to attack would have been Scholars which was bouncing for 2 days along with others. My point is it didn't turn out to be the bloodbath the media hyped up and there were plenty of easy targets outside these pubs if they wanted to attack.