1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

FA offering funded coaching courses exclusively to those with certain skin colours

Discussion in 'General British Football' started by SpursLegend, Jun 21, 2014.

1. SpursLegend

SpursLegend Formarly known as Lockie

Supports:
    Spurs - COYS!
  2. Taffy

Taffy The memories will never fade. Cheers lads.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Thought we lived in this rich diverse country where skin colour did not matter. Obviously it does. Imagine the furore if as you said they only wanted white applicants. Positive discrimination does my f*cking nut in whether it be sex, colour or whatever else.

3. Osgood

Osgood American/Plazzy fan type

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I'm fine with it. We need more coaches, so anything that helps with that..............

4. LEF

LEF Skinflint

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Completely agree Taffy, it's f*cking outrageous.

5. Osgood

Osgood American/Plazzy fan type

Supports:
    Chelsea
    They've obviously already getting primarily white applicants - rendering the argument mute.

6. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    In other countries coaching courses are free and they have several times as many registered coaches as we do.

Positive discrimination doesn't sort out the dreadful standard of English managers.

7. Andy SFC

Andy SFC Registered User

Supports:
    Stevenage
    :fail: Our FA keep outdoing theirselves in the stupid ideas category. This ends up as just pure tokenism. I have said for years they should freeze all course fee's for a year on coaches and refs and get people involved in the game again, they get enough freebies already surely they can fund that.

8. When in Rome

When in Rome Guerilla

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I've long felt that there's a lot of empty vessels making the most noise about this subject area - "the lack of non white managers in football" - and I mean this from the perspective that they make statements, imply a lot, but there is no cause (racism) and effect (lack of black managers) relationship proven.

It would be like someone saying they are persecuted because they never get £50k or £60k a year, without looking into small contributory factors like do they have qualifications, experience and indeed have they even applied for jobs that are paid that kind of money? And if they applied and were turned down, was it because of who they were or the other factors, that could even include BETTER CANDIDATES.....?

Anyway Dwight Yorke has added comments, but no surprise nothing new except actually stating some black would be managers don't bother getting their coaching badge in which case why would they get the job?!?!?

Dwight Yorke: Ex-Man Utd striker cannot get interview to be manager

Better other candidates perhaps Dwight, maybe they thought you had a chip on your shoulder (evidence above). I mean if it is about the colour of skin then how come there are plenty of black footballers? Simple answer, they ARE good enough to do the job. Time and time again we see managers that aren't good enough, white managers get sacked just the same.

And maybe he should ask Jason Roberts, Garth Crooks, Ian Wright and all the other high profile black ex-footballers who have plenty to say on all things football but have taken the softer sofa option. Maybe he'd like to cite where black managers in the top flight in England have been highly successful.....?

Chris Hughton is about the only one I can think of who could consider himself harshly done by at bigger clubs. Anyway I am arguably doing what the likes of Yorke are doing, taking some evidence and linking it directly to a conclusion. The best way to put the continued SPECULATION to bed would be for the anti racism group and FA to do like the drug testing lot do, take samples where a vacancy has been interviewed for and filled, assess the applicants, maybe even interview them, and ask for a list of those who applied and were rejected asking for reasons - with anyone free to contact them if they applied and a club hasn't indicated they did.

It's what is called proper monitoring and investigation, I know it isn't as headline grabbing as having someone claim they're discriminated against for reasons they cannot possibly prove. To what level clubs has Yorke applied? As he has zero experience has he considered taking assistant roles instead of expecting to walk into management? After all the clubs aren't charities, they need to achieve goals and some may not be prepared to take a risk and maybe some would be wary of even 'going there' with someone outspoken on racism. Of course the odd club might think "hey, he's insinuating we're all racist, let's give the chap an interview/job", or the majority might think "where's his qualifications? where's his experience? What is he bringing to the table besides insinuations?"

I may not be an employer or work in HR, but I am aware of a few things, and in jobs you need qualifications and experience, quite a few jobs require experience which gives some candidates the edge over others and sometimes is a stated requirement or "desirable". It is also important to make a case of relevance, if he puts in his application "I played football" then he's not exactly selling himself, so what is it makes Mr Yorke think he is so employable as a manager that interview is his given right......!?!?!?

I applied for three jobs around the same time some years ago, all basically doing what I had done for EIGHT years. They all required one particular thing I didn't have, so put myself on a course to understand it if not have hands on experience of it, but was only able to do so after not getting any interviews. I was offered interview for a job similar but at the same time I'd been offered my current job, as it was then anyway, so had to decide preferred job vs 'guaranteed' job (offer) and it has worked out better than ok most of the time - under my third manager, the role more or less the same minus one key starting element and lots since added on.

So maybe Mr Yorke, Jason Roberts et al should stop crying wolf and set out to prove their claims - or maybe end up finding out they were wrong. Maybe young white footballers should cry discrimination because they can't get games in the Premier League, or maybe they'd too find it wasn't as simple as that......

Oh and one key thing employers like to know is what you have been doing for the past X years, whilst wiki isn't exactly his life history it does tend to show what people have done within the sport ie player/manager, and there doesn't seem to be much since Yorke last played. I'm sure he has been doing something, other than applying for 100s of suitable jobs and not getting interview...... ;)

And one other key thing is to apply for a job that is appropriate to your skills, qualifications and experience, is Mr Yorke quite sure he has all these.....?

9. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    It's the same whatever race. Ex high profile player wants managers job but probably only applies at the highest level without any prior experience. Doesn't get the job or even an interview and has a moan. Unfortunately black ex players use their colour as their voice and the reason why and blame everyone else.

Just get your badges, start lower down as a manager or as a coach and work your way up whatever your race.

#9 DonnyOsmond, Apr 21, 2017 at 10:18 AM
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 10:25 AM
  10. StillHurts31

StillHurts31 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Reverse Racism is just stupid, don't try and level the playing field by tipping the scales. Just ensure that everyone has equal opportunities by raising the standard across the board.

11. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    John Barnes is a perfect example even though he's a shit manager,always threw accusations of racism around when not getting his own way.