1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FA to adopt Rooney rule..

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Super_horns, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
  2. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Little bit obscure
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    I don't agree with this type of positive discrimination, it should simply be the best candidate gets the job. :shrug

kaboose, Shane, Super_horns and 2 others like this.
  3. Random

Random League One Champions 2010

Supports:
    Southadmin
    just interview paul ince every time. foregone conclusion.

as if the FA are in any position to ignore a decent candidate

4. PalacePalace

PalacePalace Registered User

Supports:
    CPFC
  5. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester City
    Don’t be a c#nt all your life

6. PalacePalace

PalacePalace Registered User

Supports:
    CPFC
    would help if you actually replied to the topic rather than spitting pointless insults.

7. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I don't think the rule is racist per se. It guarantees that at least one candidate will be non-white. It doesn't guarantee that a job will be awarded based on that though.

I get the idea behind it. I just find it rather insulting to all concerned. Owners, managerial candidates etc. The presumption that the relative lack of black managers etc is due solely to race has its own problems.

Some ex-pros for example believe that they won't get an opportunity, so why bother trying? Which creates a self-perpetuating cycle.

I think you'll see more in the near future as the Premier League has become so much more cosmopolitan. Instead of a side like Liverpool in the 80s with one black player, John Barnes, half our first team is black. It couldn't be more different these days. The problem with managers in the PL and in the FA is age. Older managers hang around and prevent younger managers breaking through. And higher up it's middle aged people hiring other middle aged people who tend to think the same as one another.

Chris Hughton is actually a great example to all naysayers who reckon they won't get a shot. He is where he is on merit and determination.

#7 Adam, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  8. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    At least Hughton would be worthy of an interview regardless of weather its down to this rule or not.

It only means a BAME guy get interviewed - not getting the job.

Any different to the FA now saying the coach has to be English?

9. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    I've always said the same thing. If you're good enough, then it doesn't matter what colour you are.

It makes me laugh how people like Ince come out and say things like there aren't enough black managers in the PL ect. Who exactly is good enough to manage in the PL who is black? I can't think of one person.

Going down the road of having a certain number of black people in jobs guaranteed, to fill a quota IS racist, but you'll never hear white people complain about it.

It's positive discrimination.

#9 Shane, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  10. Kirby

Kirby It's coming home

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Exactly.

I don't think it's anything to do with race personally.

I'm 99% certain a club wouldn't turn down a top class manager on the basis of him being a different colour. It just happens that there aren't any decent black managers around (Hughton aside - who funnily enough has a PL job).

11. Deryn

Deryn Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham, FC Basel
    It'll happen more often in the future, but I'd argue that the wages for a top-level footballer are way beyond what players in the 80's could've dreamt to earn, so there's very little incentive for top-level players to go on into management after retirement from playing; Patrice Evra is spending his ban/retirement riding around on camels and racing Lamborghinis. When that's easily accessible to them and fairly stress free, why would they bother with management?

That means most of the management stock will come from lower down the leagues where BAME players are fewer - think Karl Robinson, Eddie Howe, Lee Johnson etc.

Adam likes this.
  12. Ant

Ant Registered User

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    There does seem to be some sort of fallacy with regards to this Rooney Rule. In a sport like football, the best managers or the most talented managers get a chance regardless of race, colour or creed. As a few posters have pointed out, Ince hasn't exactly set the world alight and then you have Dwight Yorke applying for the Villa job in the past few years.

There seems to be a sense of entitlement amongst some purely down to name value instead of gaining experience in the lower leagues and working the way up that way like Clarke Carlisle is doing and Hasselbaink etc.

13. Random

Supports:
    Southadmin
    are there any decent black managers abroad that england could give a serious chance to?

the only black manager in the premier league I can really think of is tigana and I don't even remember if he was any good. Instinctivley I think he wasn't bad.

14. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    You had Paul Ince and Chris Ramsey for a while I think.

ATM Chris Houghton would be the only option and he wouldn't get it.

15. kaboose

kaboose MOD

Supports:
    Liverpool
    If a team is racist, this rule isnt changing anything for them other than giving them an extra person to interview. Its pointless. If a team isnt smart enough to interview the absolute best PEOPLE then let them be stupid. Dont make a rule to help these stupid ****s.

16. Random

Supports:
    Southadmin
    southgate or hughton though... not sure I'd prefer southgate tbh.

17. Random

Supports:
    Southadmin
    On one hand, it's no great hardship on the FA to conduct an extra interview. On the other hand, if I was equally qualified to a minority applying for a position I might think that I or a dozen other non-minority managers should have had an interview.

The only fair way to do it fromt he candidates' perspective is to interview every single applicant down to the qualification level of the minority candidate. That WOULD be a hardship for the FA.