1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Farke off

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Gal_P, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Frosty

Frosty Champions Of Europe

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yeah that's probably what has put him off this project.

But it's probably what Norwich looked at too regarding next season if they do go down, they would stand a better chance at coming back up with Smith at the helm, than Lampard.

2. Chrysalis

Chrysalis deleted

Supports:
    Leicester City
    You know better Kirbs, Viera record before joining you guys, and Claudio in his last job before us.

I would be happy with Potter succeeding Rodgers.

3. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    I know people bang on about it but Brighton really should have been mid-table on XG stats last season. The fact they were so low was abit of an anomaly

Sent from my 6025H_EEA using Tapatalk

4. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Both had much better records than Potter TBF.

Vieira took Nice into Europe and Ranieri won several trophies in Italy and Spain.

All Potter's done at the top level is finish 15th and 16th.

5. Pagnell

Pagnell MISERABLE C**T

Supports:
    FSG F**KING OFF
    The jury is still out on Viera. Very much in the new manager bounce period for me, especially considering his previous record. If the results are still coming in 6 months once they've hit an inevitable bad patch and come out the other side, things can be viewed differently.

RedDogChris likes this.
  6. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Agree with that. Way too early to judge him properly, but the signs so far are very encouraging.

Not really sure where this dodgy previous record stuff comes from TBH.

When he took over at NYC they'd just finished 17th. He took them to 4th the following season and 2nd the season after that.

When he took over at Nice Lucien Favre had just taken them to 8th in Ligue 1. They finished 7th under Vieira the following season, then 5th the season after that (qualifying for Europe).

He's done a good job everywhere he's been TBF.

7. Pagnell

Pagnell MISERABLE C**T

Supports:
    FSG F**KING OFF
    By previous record I mean he's not managed in a comparable league to the Prem. I didn't say anything about his record being dodgy.

8. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    'Especially considering his previous record' makes it sound like you were questioning his previous record, but yeah, he's obviously inexperienced in this league.

Potter could well go and succeed at a club like Leicester, he's clearly a good coach otherwise he wouldn't have had the successes he did in Scandinavia, and there's no doubting his teams play pretty football, but he's been at Brighton two-and-a-half years now and the best he's managed is a 15th-place finish. I'm just a bit baffled when people link him to these top jobs or would want him managing their team when in reality he's achieved nothing. Think he's one of those managers who gets massively overhyped but in reality he's more style over substance (see Roberto Martinez, Marco Silva, Eddie Howe etc.).

He might prove me wrong this year, but after an impressive (albeit easy) start Brighton have now gone seven games without win and are slowly dropping down the league. It'll be interesting to see where they finish and where his stock is come the summer.

9. AVA

AVA Juan Iturbe Fan Club Member

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    I agree with the majority of your post however Howe's achievements are 100x more than anything any of those others have done. Martinez's FA Cup win in fairness was outstanding, but still. Howe had us in 9th in 2016/17 and the finishes were all respectable until the last season.

I don't think Potter or Silva (especially him) have proven anywhere near as much.

I do rate what Potter has done at Brighton though, he's built a squad of which a lot have high resale value and they'll definitely finish above 15th this year, imo.

#149 AVA, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Loyal2AFCB and Super_horns like this.
  10. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name

Supports:
    West Ham United
    indeed. I think you’re a good team, and fully expected you to finish 7-12ish this season. A player like grealish is almost irreplaceable for clubs at our level. We’ll have this issue when we eventually lose rice. There’s always going to be some adjustment time, which smith wasn’t afforded. Gerrard is unknown at this level so it’s certainly a risk

11. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Yeah Howe was a harsh one given his overall achievements with Bournemouth. I only added him as he got relegated playing a similar brand of football.

AVA likes this.
  12. KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    Did his media today. Webber trying to push the message that we're good enough to stay up. 11th highest spend in Europe and all that.

Meanwhile in the Good Morning Britain studio

Speaking to Susanna Reid and former Canaries chairman Ed Balls on ITV's Good Morning Britain programme , Delia spoke of the "uphill struggle" her club faces.

Speaking from Carrow Road, she said: "The challenge is there for us. We're self-funding.

"The reason I'm here today is that we're doing food and wine workshops with 60 people to raise money to help our youth academy."

"It's an uphill struggle when there's so much money around," Delia said. "The challenge for us is to do it anyway so watch this space."

We're such a confused club when we get to the Premier League.

13. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Yeah, Norwich as a club just don't feel particularly built for this league.

14. Jason

Jason Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    There's no reason Norwich shouldn't be able to establish themselves, even as a "self-funding" club.

Carrow Road's a decent enough size for their club, the city itself is attractive enough and has a huge catchment area. There's nobody near Norwich really. The closest cities are Cambridge, Peterborough and Ipswich which don't really have big or successful football clubs nearby.

Admittedly Burnley don't spend that much but if a club like that can establish themselves at this level and be here year in, year out then there's no reason a club like Norwich shouldn't be doing similar.

Turf Moor is only a 22,000ish seater stadium and has all of the big North West clubs to contend with, Selhurst Park is smaller than Carrow Road plus Palace have several big London clubs to compete with. Palace have had to be tight on the pursestrings under Hodgson but with stable management have put themselves in to a position where they look like they can start doing more at this level.

Norwich have decent potential if managed right in my opinion. Admittedly it's one year in, one year out but they've also had a lot of seasons at this level that they've benefited from the Premier League money to a degree. There's no real reason they should need to be fundraising for the youth academy.

If they could stay at this level for more than one year, they can start to establish themselves. The problem is other than the odd season, they've usually gone straight back down.

MrLeeLemon and RedDogChris like this.
  15. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    The golden opportunity for them to establish themselves was after the promotion under Lambert, they were building a decent squad but Hughton had to mess it up with his dire tactics though the board were responsible as well by not sacking him much sooner.

16. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Yeah, by all means I didn't mean to come across patronising and there is plenty within that club to point to that would make them a suitable fit for a relatively comfortable PL side. But there is a real sense of naivety within that club that has been there for years.

It's like deer in the headlights the moment they come up. Which is strange because they've more than proven over the past decade or so that they are very capable of coming up. They've had what 4 promotions in 10 years now?

Perhaps it is that they are self-funded that makes them feel a wee bit insecure and forces them to make decisions without real ingenuity or logic, because they feel resigned to their place as a yo-yo club. I'd have expected them to kick on this season and have a go at it, after keeping things steady following the last relegation, but it is like they didn't learn anything.

To be kinda blunt, Norwich City seem too polite for this level. :shrug

#156 MrLeeLemon, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Jason likes this.
  17. KeiranShikari

Supports:
    Norwich
    Honestley we've had far stronger sides than the Paul Lambert Premier League since but none with as much grit or pure momentum. That team had various players that were league 1 life longers, some that were late bloomers of course but others that moved straight back down. Would have been interesting to see what Lambert would have done in that second season, with money and expectaion. Hughton actually improved on Lambert's 12th place finish and did sign plenty of genuinely good players, of course that all went wrong a season later.

Some of this sentiment is probably right but not most of it.

Bar a 10 game spell post restart I don't think deer in headlights is fair. We played some good, aggressive stuff that season. Actually perhaps wee Alex's season was like that, bar Jerome having an overhead kick goal dissallowed on the opening day I don't recall that season.

I'd say that it's resilience we've lacked in the Premier League since Lambert left. We can usually play but if we go a goal down the confidence drains away far more quickly than it seems to for most around the league.

Trying to change that tune is probably a big part of the reason Farke was replaced with a more streetwise manager in Farke.

I do actually agree with the final point, being too polite is a good way to put it. We should sign Mings.

18. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    That's kinda what I meant Kieran in regards to my post. Hughton signed good players and that was a chance to establish yourselves but like us Hughton was holding you back yet you let him take you down pretty much

#158 RedDogChris, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  19. KeiranShikari

Supports:
    Norwich
    Hindsight says we should have been brutal and sacked him after him after the first season. Get why they didn't though, he did technically finish 11th. We'd also just signed this super talented Dutch striker from Sporting Lisbon, that was a big reason to be cheerful.

We've done the un-Norwich like thing this time around and acted fast. Unlike 2 years ago we clearly rate the squad as one that shouldn't be going down. Guess only time will tell if it was the right move.

I do think the focus on producing young players will see us establish ourselves at some point in the near future although I'm sure some would suggest doing the opposite.

Donnyrovers90 likes this.
  20. KeiranShikari

Supports:
    Norwich
    Want him back.