1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Fergie’s gone

Discussion in 'EFL League One' started by Donnyrovers90, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    So Darren Ferguson has just resigned as our manager. Can’t say I’m disappointed as I’ve wanted him out for a while tbf.

Not sure if it’s got anything to do with his dad’s health or something that’s happened at the club but I wish him the best for the future. Played some decent stuff from time to time but I couldn’t see us being anything more than lower league 1 with him in charge.

Who next ? I’d love us to go for Tisdale personally, I’ve always liked him and enjoy the style of play that he would bring.

2. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    You beat me to it. I want Tisdale badly, please not Heckingbottom! The statement he put out makes are budget sound wank.

Donnyrovers90 likes this.
  3. Donnyrovers90

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    I think you actually beat me to it :laugh: im sure someone will merge the threads

Same I really want us to go and get Tisdale. Maybe Cowley at Lincoln but I don’t know if he’d leave them for us ? However I can see us going with Heckingbottom or Redfearn unfortunately

4. SouthStandRover

SouthStandRover Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    Meh. Might turn out to be a case of "be careful what you wish for" but I don't think he's pulled up many trees. Not done much to prove that he can work with a team to make it overperform for him rather than spend decent money.

It's a big shock though. I know he was miserable about his recent discussions with the board but didn't expect him to walk away.

Very good timing though, glad it's happened now rather than in July/August. Not sure who I'd want but hopefully we can get someone decent in who knows how to build a club and make the most of the resources given to them.

Donnyrovers90 and Godolphin like this.
  5. Godolphin

Godolphin Well-Known Member

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    I’m delighted! We were very boring to watch and predictable in our play. He played a major part in our relegation, signed loads of players who as ive said countless time, are proper average. So overrated. Wasted money! On top of that he loved playing players out of position even when you could see they were lost there.

It’s telling when last season there was 10’s of us at every away game who stayed in the concourse for most (sometimes all) of the first half. I’m not just talking me who’s a piss head, but people who genuinely wanted to watch every second, usually.

I could go on more about why we wanted him sacked, but he’s gone and i’m f*cking buzzing so I wont!

Think it’ll be either...
    Wellens with Coppinger as assistant
    John Coleman
    Stuart McCall
    Neil Redfearn
    Russ Wilcox

Want...
    Paul Tisdale
    Cowley’s
    Holloway
    McCarthy (old school)

Fair few more I’d be happy with as well tbf.
    P.S I’d be ignoring what Fergie says about the budget until we have proof. He’s been allowed to sign tons of players in his time here and in the past he’s had millions at other clubs. He’s a cheque book manager.

6. SouthStandRover

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    Reading the forums and social media, I don't think anyone's shed any tears, and that probably sums up the mood.

7. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    It's more the worry the reason why he resigned for me. The football at times was crap and obviously creating feck all in the last 5 games.

8. Donnyrovers90

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    If it’s money related I’m not too fussed. We should Be looking at managers who can do well on a budget, something that fergie isn’t particularly capable of unfortunately.

I must admit for the first time in 22 years of supporting rovers I’ve never felt as distant as I have this season. Fortunately I’ve moved back to Doncaster and if we make the right appointment i will be excited for a fresh start this season

9. Ramblins

Ramblins Registered User

Supports:
    Rotherham United
    Surprised to read how boring some are saying you were under fergie. On the two occasions I saw you against the Millers you looked quite impressive.

10. SouthStandRover

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    The match at our place was poor from both sides. At your place we were OK for an hour or so then dropped deeper and deeper before capitulating.

He made us more functional this season but ultimately we rarely played with enough pace or movement or width. It was slow and ponderous a lot of the time, and I think we failed to score more in more games than any team in the division.

11. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    Look at our last 5 games, 0 goals and feck all created. Take out a 37 year old Coppinger and Rowe and we don't know what to do. If you're not scoring, you're not entertaining.

12. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    No dount his old man will make sure you can't take any players on loan from Man Utd like he did when Preston sacked his lad for being shite.

McKenna's Wand likes this.
  13. McKenna's Wand

McKenna's Wand Registered User

Supports:
    Preston
    Even told Pulis to take his two loanees back (Tonge & Pugh), on top of losing De Laet & Matty James, played its part in us going down, well that and the fact that is son was a useless manager.

Godolphin likes this.
  14. Godolphin

Godolphin Well-Known Member

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    We’ve managed to f*ck up the whole process yet again :)

Imagine any genuinely good candidate willing to come in and work with an assistant forced upon him, who wants to nick his job from day 1. Ridiculous.

15. Cal_BCFC

Cal_BCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bradford City
    Nooooooooooo!!! I hope this has nothing to do with us...

I see Stuart is the favourite. Would be a good appointment imo.

16. SouthStandRover

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    Likelihood is it’s to do with him not being happy with his budget, which frankly he can suck up because it’s fine and he underachieved with the one he had last year.

That or he’s going somewhere else, but the only club people seem to be mentioning is MK, not heard anything about Bradford.

I’m warming to the idea of Stuart McCall being appointed. Wouldn’t set the pulse racing but he seems a solid candidate and by all accounts did a very good job at Bradford other than the last 6 or 7 weeks of his tenure.

New manager should be in place before the end of the month anyway. Applications close next Monday.

17. SalopTillIDie

SalopTillIDie League 1 member

Supports:
    Shrewsbury
    Good job this wasn’t a week earlier or our rumour mill would be in overdrive. Never really looked to repeat his good spell at Peterborough has he wherever else he’s gone.

18. Burg

Burg The Fulham

Supports:
    Fulham
    There’s something you don’t hear very often ;)

19. Cal_BCFC

Cal_BCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bradford City
    If it's money he's wanting that'll rule him off our list. Phew.

We were so unlucky not to go up in Stuart's first year, and then this season just gone I don't think we'd left the top 6... Lack of spending in January and a big injury list saw us lose 6 on the spin and Stuart lose his job, we've been regretting it ever since.

zephyr88 likes this.
  20. SouthStandRover

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    It will all depend on if he's applied for the job then. Doesn't look like we're headhunting, just picking the "best" of whoever applies.

I think McCall is my preferred candidate for the job now. Wouldn't have said that on Monday but the more I hear about him and the circumstances in which he left Bradford, the more I think he's the strongest (realistic) potential manager out there.