1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FF's Favourite Horror Movie

Discussion in 'TV & Film' started by nazzac, Aug 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Joga bonito

Joga bonito "play beautifully"
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Liverpool, Bristol City
    Doctor Sleep, the sequel is a must-see!

2. Panja

Panja In a land down under

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    The book was rank though, I honestly think King should stop writing, he’s too old school now..

3. nazzac

nazzac Registered User

Supports:
    Football
    Unpopular opinion, but Doctor Sleep is a better adaptation than The Shining. My reasoning is that The Shining book is great and so is the film, but Doctor Sleep took a pretty shitty book and made a really good movie out of it

Adam and Panja like this.
  4. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Jaws also shows us you can make great horror without a high age rqting on the film. Not many others have achieved that.

Joga bonito likes this.
  5. Joga bonito

Staff Member

Supports:
    Liverpool, Bristol City
  6. Joga bonito

Staff Member

Supports:
    Liverpool, Bristol City
    Some amazing video/written essays on Kubrick’s The Shining too... some going really deep and out there.

In the acting stakes, Nicholson gives us an all-time top 10 terrifying performances too.

(Joining the likes of Frank Booth (Dennis Hopper), in David Lynch’s Blue Velvet, Kathy Bates in Misery, G. Close in Fatal Attraction... to name a few to forever haunt us)

SALTIRE and Adam like this.
  7. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Probably right but isn't Doctor Sleep a more faithful adaptation of the novel than The Shining was? The impression I got anyway, I've read neither but I know Kubrick changed a great deal from the book.

8. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I almost included Battle Royale due to the performance of Masanobu Ando, amongest others, as that movie genuinely gives me the creeps, as it is so disturbing. But as it's not a true horror, I left it off the list.

Joga bonito and Adam like this.
  9. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Doesn't hurt one bit if your lead antagonist looks fit in a hat.

Joga bonito likes this.
  10. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Fear is the mind-killer

Supports:
    The end of stupidity
    Dunno about Doctor Sleep, but you are correct about Kubrick doing The Shining. He changed a lot out of it, including the tone I believe. Stephen King hated the adaptation apparently.

Adam likes this.
  11. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I love analysis videos on The Shining, there's some really stupid ones but some very insightful videos that have turned out to be onto something in terms of themes etc.

I'm starting to read King's novels so will get to both soon enough.

SALTIRE likes this.
  12. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United, Detroit City FC
    steer clear of Cell. it's terrible

13. nazzac

nazzac Registered User

Supports:
    Football
    Tied 6th: The Omen
    17 points/3 lists

[​IMG]
    You have been warned

Released: 6th June 1976
    Director: Richard Donner
    Starring: Gregory Peck, Lee Remick, Harvey Stephens
    Runtime: 111 minutes
    IMDB: 7.5
    Rotten Tomatoes: 86%
    Metacritic: 62
    Look at me Damien, this list is all for you! Our next movie in the top 10 of our countdown is the British/American 1976 psychological horror The Omen, which ties in sixth place with 17 points on three lists.

Robert and Katherine Thorn seem to have it all. They are happily married and he is the US Ambassador to Great Britain, but they want nothing more than to have children. When Katharine has a stillborn child, Robert is approached by a priest at the hospital who suggests that they take a healthy newborn whose mother has just died in childbirth. Without telling his wife he agrees. After relocating to London, strange events - and the ominous warnings of a priest - lead him to believe that the child he took from that Italian hospital is evil incarnate.

According to producer Harvey Bernhard, the idea of a motion picture about the Antichrist came from Bob Munger, a friend of Bernhard's. When Munger told him about the idea back in 1973, the producer immediately contacted screenwriter David Seltzer and hired him to write a screenplay. It took a year for Seltzer to write the script. Richard Donner, a man who would later direct Superman, The Goonies and the Lethal Weapon series, was chosen to direct, and this would turn out to be his breakthrough film.

Bernhard claims Gregory Peck had been the choice to portray Ambassador Thorn from the beginning. Peck got involved with the project through his agent, who was friends with producer Harvey Bernhard. After reading the script, Peck reportedly liked the idea that it was more of a psychological thriller rather than a horror film and agreed to star in it. However it has also been reported that Charlton Heston and William were also considered for the movie. Harvey Stephens, as Damien, was largely chosen for this role from the way he attacked Richard Donner during auditions. Donner asked all the little boys to "come at him" as if they were attacking Katherine Thorn during the church wedding scene. Stephens screamed and clawed at Donner's face, and kicked him in the groin during his act. Donner whipped the kid off him, ordered the kid's blond hair dyed black and cast him as Damien.

Filming for The Omen began on October 6, 1975, and lasted eleven weeks, wrapping on January 9, 1976. Scenes were shot on location in Bishops Park in Fulham, London and Guildford Cathedral in Surrey, as well on location in Rome and Jerusalem. The score wad composed by Jerry Goldsmith who Richard Donner and Harvey Bernhard asked Twentieth Century Fox for extra money during the film's post-production period to hire. They strongly felt that his music was right for the movie, after seeing him perform a live concert at the Hollywood Bowl earlier that year. Ladd was finally talked into giving Donner and Bernhard around $25,000 to hire Goldsmith, who would deliver his first and only Academy Award win for his score in 1977.

The Omen was released following a successful $2.8 million marketing campaign inspired by the one from Jaws one year prior. Following on from The Exorcist, the film was a massive commercial success, grossing $60,922,980 in total which made it the sixth highest grossing film of 1976

Reviews at the time were mixed however. Richard Eder of The New York Times called it "a dreadfully silly film" but "reasonably well-paced. We don't have time to brood about the sillinesses of any particular scene before we are on to the next. There is not a great deal of excitement, but we manage to sustain some curiosity as to how things will work out." Variety praised Richard Donner's direction as "taut" and the performances as "strong", and noted that the script, "sometimes too expository, too predictable, too contrived, is nonetheless a good connective fibre.". Siskel and Ebert both gave the movie 2.5/4 stars and criticised the story for being 'goofy'.

Retrospective reviews of the film have been more favorable however, and The Omen now stands as one of the best horror movies of all time. Rotten Tomatoes has an approval rating of 86% based on 49 reviews and an average rating of 7.25/10. The site's consensus reads: "The Omen eschews an excess of gore in favor of ramping up the suspense -- and creates an enduring, dread-soaked horror classic along the way"

One FF member said that The Omen is "so rewatchable. every death in this film was perfectly executed." whilst another said "Gregory Peck and Lee Remmick play the parts of the parents whose baby was killed purposely at birth and they unknowingly got given another one. What could possibly go wrong?

PorkchopExpress, SALTIRE and Panja like this.
  14. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    The Omen has some of the creepiest moments going. Everything to do with the photos showing how people will die weirds me the f**k out every time.

The Valiant likes this.
  15. nazzac

nazzac Registered User

Supports:
    Football
    Only 5 movies left now and 3 of them were in my list :laugh:

Funny though how i look back and my list would be fairly different now. There's a few towards the bottom i could easily change for another movie. A lot depends on your mood at the time and how recently you watched each film

16. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Fear is the mind-killer

Supports:
    The end of stupidity
    While it wasn't on my list, The Omen remains a favourite. Builds up beautifully and the scene where Peck realises he has to try to kill his child, is very well done. The setpieces are superb as well, especially the one with David Warner.

17. nazzac

nazzac Registered User

Supports:
    Football
    The Omen was one i was a bit late on compared some others on this list. I remember seeing it for the first time in a hotel late at night as i waited for my early morning flight and being very impressed with it.

Controversial opinion, but i prefer it to The Exorcist

18. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    Wasn't on my list but only because I forgot it :laugh: It's one of the best horrors ever. Goldsmith's score was great as well. I love that moment with the dog towards the start.

I hate it how critics will just dismiss anything remotely fantastical as silly. If ever a film has approached the occult and managed to avoid a silly, daft tone, it's The Omen. 'Dreadfully silly'... GTFO. And Siskel, I think, is the guy who gave a shit review to Silence of the Lambs... should've retired after that one.

nazzac and Adam like this.
  19. Panja

Panja In a land down under

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    The Omen is a superb film. I’m old enough to have seen it at the cinema when it first came out and thinking “farrrkk”. I think I went back to watch it around six or seven times after that. Too many great moments to list but the realisation that the wrong baby was killed, the dogs in the cemetery, the photographic prediction of impending death, Damien riding that bike round the house, the nurse at the party......just superb.

Adam and SALTIRE like this.
  20. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think I have 3 movies left to be revealed. I started very confident my #1 would win overall but the others I have left are strong competition and bound to have multiple votes. I think any would be worthy winners tbf.