1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football League Restructure

Discussion in 'General British Football' started by Key Basher, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Key Basher

Key Basher Banned

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    What do people think of this proposal to restructure the Football League so that teams play more localised opposition.

Premier League - expand to 30 clubs
    (20 this season finishers + Top 10 Championship)
    Championship - expand to 30 clubs and renamed Premier League Two
    (14 remainders in Championship after above promotions + 16 from League 1)

5 premier clubs relegated a season, 5 championship clubs promoted.

6 championship clubs relegated, (placed in most appropriate league) 6 regional leagues promoted to Championship (3 autos for winning + 3 play off winners (2-9 play eachother in a KO where 2 plays 9 3 plays 8 4 plays 7 and 5 plays 6).

Regional League (Northern)
    (replaces the League One to National League tiers - has 30 clubs in it)
    Regional League (Central)
    (also replaces the League One to National League Tiers - has 30 clubs in it)
    Regional League (Southern)
    (also replaces the League One tier - National League Tier - has 30 clubs in it)

Initially allocation to these 3 regional leagues would be based on geographic position with allocation also linked to performance.

The three regional leagues relegate to a restructure National League North/South tier that now has a Central division as well - each with 24 clubs.Initially allocation to these 3 regional leagues would be based on geographic position with allocation also linked to performance.

The three regional leagues relegate to a restructure National League North/South tier that now has a Central division as well - each with 24 clubs. With 4 relegations from each regional league, and 4 promotions from the regional 2 (2 automatic, 2 from a knock-out play off where 3 plays 10, 4 plays 9, 5 plays 8, 6 plays 7)

- Everything above and including the restructured National League is governed by a central body, with stipulations on trickle-down of Premier League TV money into lower leagues - a new football league now comprising 222 clubs.)

All leagues double round-robins as PL is now.

- Scrap the League Cup and EFL Trophies. Retain FA Cup.

Benefits = reduced travel costs for smaller clubs, reduced unnecessary cup competitions etc.
    More week-night fixtures and opportunity for increased revenue for lower division clubs. More matches etc

Keeping teams in the right geographic areas that leaves us with (based on the 2020 season end) new divisions of as follows, with teams from right down to Tier 6 and the top 6 all fully included and geographically relevant teams from Tier 7 and Tier 8 (Northern Division) only now condensed into a much more club and fan friendly tier system.

The New Divisions are as follows:

[​IMG]

In brief discussion on this a lot of people have raised questions about fixture congestion. The EFL Trophy and League Cup would be scrapped. The season would made 38 weeks and would be done as follows:

By using a Wednesday/Saturday system over a 38 week season, we have 76 matchdays. Which allows plenty of time to reschedule fixtures on top of the 58 league matches required (gives us 18 extra matchdays, which is enough for a Euro run and FA Cup run comfortably. Worst case scenario you could implement the Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday for a club with deep fixture congestion)

#1 Key Basher, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  2. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    @Key Basher Is your name Stuart? Would you describe yourself as white Stuarty?

3. Key Basher

Key Basher Banned

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    My name is not Stuart...

Not sure what you point is, I can just see a much better and more straight-forward way of organising the leagues, if anyone wants to send it to the football league and premier league and credit me, be my guest. I'm sure they'll quickly come to their senses,

4. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    :laugh: Just had the exact same thought

5. Key Basher

Key Basher Banned

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    I think there's a joke I'm missing here.... :confused

6. Dirk

Dirk In dubio pro Raute!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    @Key Basher : Stuarty/Stuartt is a guy who's banned here multiple times. He claimed to be authistic and has several threads opened here. Search for him

@your plan with a PL with 30 teams: I bet every Forest Fan will be up for it. Only way it seems for them to come back ;). 58 League matches, phew! That's a lot (plus CL, EL for the top teams, FAC, LC)

7. Key Basher

Key Basher Banned

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    Thanks for heads up, I looked him up and came across some odd threads it has to be said, hope I don't give off that impression. By coincidence, I am actually on the Autistic Spectrum, so that may by why I come across similar (presumably the obsessional detail in OP) Apologies if it comes off a bit OTT.

Read the small-print LC would be banned.

It's pretty rare for a club to have more than 18 Cup and European nights in one season though, so it is doable and could give a lot of decent finance opportunities to strugglers who are currently in lower football league/higher national league with the extra match-days.

8. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    Sorry pal, it’s only because Stuarty used to want to restructure the league in all these different ways so your post reminded me of him, no offence meant

9. Key Basher

Key Basher Banned

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    This my only suggestion to restructure the league, I've spent many years fine tuning different aspects of it and think this is the best option.