1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Formula One - **** yeah!

Discussion in 'General Sport' started by saint_clark, Nov 26, 2014.

1. SkyBlueMatt

SkyBlueMatt The failed escape attempt

Supports:
    Coventry City
    What about Di Resta, Riccardo, Brundle and others. I guess their opinions (I'm pretty sure they have race experience) are irrelevant? Or is it because they don't fit your narrative? I was expecting the decision to go against him, just like nothing happened to Hamilton when Verstappen when into the wall.

Either way, Verstappen needs to take a new power unit (due to the incident with Hamilton) so he'll take that. The 3 place penalty is a moot point.

2. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    Hamilton got a 10 second penalty when Verstappen went into the wall? All pundits and drivers asked said that was a racing incident too.

SkyBlueMatt likes this.
  3. Foxwell

Foxwell A little bit of the bubbly

Supports:
    Manchester United FC
    Absolutely made up that McLaren got the 1-2 :clap: Ricciardo was excellent off the start and deserved the win. Norris getting P2 was another brilliant showing, and Bottas was excellent in coming back through the grid to make 3rd. Hopefully this is the start of Ricciardo really getting to grips with his car and the McLaren team potentially worrying the big two.

At the time of the incident between Hamilton and Verstappen I thought it was plainly obvious that Max came into turn one far too hot for the turn, and it looked like Hamilton had left him just enough space. I'm not sure what Brundle thought he saw. The grid penalty is worthless, as he'll probably use the opportunity to take new parts and end up starting last anyway at the Russian GP which the Mercs have never lost at in F1.

4. nazzac

nazzac Registered User

Supports:
    Football
    In that case would you say the same for Lewis at Silverstone?

I am fine with the decision. Racing incident for me, but the move was aggressive and if i was to place predominant blame it would be on Max. Lewis got a penalty at Silverstone so yeah.

5. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    The way Verstappen walked away without even checking if Hamilton was still alive was disgusting.

6. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    You can't compare the two. Hamilton's race did not end at Silverstone while Verstappen's did. In other words, at Silverstone, the offending driver got away with ending his opponents race giving him an unfair advantage which merited a penalty/punishment. In today's case the driver who is being penalized crashed out too unlike Silverstone which, in my opinion, given that this is a bog standard racing incident, does not merit a penalty. A penalty would make sense if there was malicious intent in Verstappen crashing into Hamilton or deliberately dangerous driving from him but neither of that was the case so personally, I do not think comparing Silverstone to this makes any sense/difference.

It's an extremely contrived penalty. What sort of a penalty is a 3-place grid penalty anyway? Oh wait, one that stacks the odds in favor of Hamilton and Verstappen equaling their points tallies in a contrived way. No, seriously, a 3 place grid penalty means if Max were to get pole in the next race, he'd drop to 4th. The points difference between 1st and 4th place? 13 points. Verstappen's lead in the points? 6. How much does a race win get? 25 points and second place gets 18 points but you get a point for the fastest lap so basically the oddly-specific penalty is one that seems to have been decided to stack the odds in favor of both Hamilton and Verstappen ending on equal points once the dust settles. This is off the back of a farcical Belgian GP which gave Max a points advantage in the first place but which happened after Max lost his points advantage at Silverstone due to Hamilton's clash with him.

No, I am not secretly Christian Horner.

7. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester City
    no worse, you're Geri

Tshabs likes this.
  8. scunnymadandy

scunnymadandy Alfreton 14-0 Sheff Wed

Supports:
    Scunthorpe United
    The fact that Hamilton was trying to reverse out probably was enough proof that he was still alive… but considering the danger they put themselves in, I agree there should always be that level of respect & sportsmanship.

Super_horns likes this.
  9. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Are Red Bull allowed to change Verstappen’s engine for Russia or will they have to take a penalty for that elsewhere ?

10. scunnymadandy

scunnymadandy Alfreton 14-0 Sheff Wed

Supports:
    Scunthorpe United
  11. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja In need of a new username

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Verstappen does this shit all the time and 3 places isn't severe enough imo for where Max's car ended up. It was obvious what was about to happen before it happened and he could have easily just cut the corner to come back at him later, he had the warmer tyres he could have gotten Lewis into t4 like somebody did against Bottas later on.

StretfordEnd likes this.
  12. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Bottas started in last place today because of an engine change . . .

I'm expecting Horner to complain about the damage Hamilton's helmet did to the rear suspension of Verstappen's car.

13. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    I wasn't sure if they could take 2 penalties in one race weekend but guess it's happened before.

14. Benzel

Benzel Registered User

Supports:
    Swindon Town.

Verstappen will forever be this kid to me. He hasn't changed.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Super_horns likes this.
  15. Benzel

Benzel Registered User

Supports:
    Swindon Town.
    Prior to that he was still giving it some gas. While the arse of his car was hanging over Hamilton's head.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

16. Arkwright

Arkwright Barnsleytilidie

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    I expected mad Max to get away scot free.:eeek. Some body should inform him F1 cars actually have brakes and it's possible to steer and lift off the throttle. I am a fan of Hamilton....mainly because he's in the top two of greatest drivers of all time. But frankly at this minute I'd take anybody as world champion before Max Verstappen, nobody comes close to him in the petulant, spoilt bastard stakes atm. Next season I'll be wanting George Russell to be the man, if Hamilton isn't. F Horner f Red bull. McLaren being a full blown title contender would be great as well. Norris has really impressed me this season, and Ricciardo is just so likeable.

Jonny Ninja, Benzel and Donnyrovers90 like this.
  17. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    That breathless reporter needs to cut down on the cigarettes.

Benzel likes this.
  18. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name

Supports:
    West Ham United
    And rather ironic considering his constant crying over Lewis celebrating his win whilst he was being checked over. Both him and Horner look like absolute twats now, based on how much they made of the previous incident

19. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wales
    Well that was the most bizarre collision i have ever seen. Couldn't do that again if they tried. Thought i was watching Wacky Races at first.

Usually when there is a crash you check out of courtesy that the other driver is ok. Verstappen it seemed didn't give a shite about Hammy.

20. SkyBlueMatt

SkyBlueMatt The failed escape attempt

Supports:
    Coventry City
    That's scary, well done to the FIA for forcing the halo through. I don't really want to think about what would have happened should he not have had a halo.

Also had those sausage curbs not been there, I doubt we would be having this discussion.

madMax.jpg

Not my best work :laugh:

Arkwright likes this.