1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Fraser Forster

Discussion in 'EFL League One' started by Geordie_Wilky, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Geordie_Wilky

Geordie_Wilky THE Geordie

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    Obviously been on loan at Bristol Rovers; and now at Norwich - seems to have had a mixed reception - seen his cock up at Leeds but also seen some pretty impressive saves.

With Timmy Krul excelling as our prime young goalkeeper - and also the emergence of Ole Soderberg (Swedish youth keeper), it is perhaps disappointing that the local lad probably won't make it with his local club.

Anyway, a question mainly for Norwich fans, how is he getting on? Does he have a career at the top ahead of him?

2. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    I think he's got alot of ability, he's a great shot stopper- he made a fantastic save yesterday against Tranmere. I'm fairly confident with him behind the sticks he's commands his area well and is good at claming crosses.

The only drawback is his kicking as highlighted against Leeds, it is improving though. I do however think he's the sort of keeper that has an error in him.

As it looks like he won't be needed with you lot I'd like to think we can extend the loan untill the end of the season.

3. MFCMark~

MFCMark~ Registered User

Supports:
    Millwall FC
    I saw his save yesterday. Must be a contender for save of the season, it was amazing.

4. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Yep was a brilliant save, it was one of those moments when you thought goal to them when it was coming to their player, no idea how he got to it!

5. Fandango

Fandango Out

Supports:
    Stockport County
    He was superb with us as well, if that helps.

6. Jim_NCFC

Jim_NCFC Registered User

His kicking is ropey as hell but generally has been a very calm and solid presence and one on one is difficult to beat. Save on saturday was world class.

7. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Solid keeper. Made a great save on Saturday as already mentioned. I actually think Declan Rudd has more promise than Forster, although I see Forster playing first team Championship football within a few years. Just needs to sort out his bloody kicking...

8. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    I sit in the Norwich & Peterborough stand and thought there was no way that ball wasn't going to cross the line! Fantastic save from him.

Bad kick against Leeds but, to be fair, the rest of the defence didnt help at that particular moment.

9. drakesdrum

drakesdrum Registered User

Supports:
    Stockport County
    Away at MK Dons last season for us, Forster put in probably the best goalkeeping display I've ever seen

10. Geordie_Wilky

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    bumpety bump.... its near the end of the season now, Norwich have all but secured the league. How has wor Fraser done? Got better?

11. STFC Rich

STFC Rich FORZA Swindon!

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    Forster made an excellent save against us on Saturday. One of the best i've seen this season. Good keeper for sure.

12. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Yeah been excellent this season, made us alot of points, could go along way in the game.

Assuming we go up any chance of another loan next season?

13. Mr Carrow

Mr Carrow * Hcuk It *

Supports:
    Norwich City
    He's up there in some peoples eyes as a contender for player of the season. Has made some brilliant saves, including some important one on ones.

14. City Til' I Die

City Til' I Die Registered User

Supports:
    norwich
    Whilst our attacking trio of Holt, Hoolahan & Martin have been taking all the plaudits, Fraser has been outstanding.

He looked a bit shaky when he first game into the side, but the kick at Elland Road is probably his only error this season.

The save against Tranmere, mentioned earlier in this thread, and the one at Swindon on saturday our two of the best saves I've ever seen.

He commands his area very well, he's made countless one-on-one saves, most notable against Southampton and Oldham recently, and I never think he is going to get beat from distance.

Personally, I would love to see him at Carrow Road next season. He has said himself that he cannot sit around at Newcastle and wait for the chance that might never come. But, obviously, we won't be able to afford to buy him, but there could be a possibility of a loan if we are in The Championship.

Obviously, the attacking trio and others like Doherty, Russell, Smith have got to be up there in player of the season, but Fraser would be in my top three for us.

15. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Well I'll have to retract what I said earlier about Forster as I think I was being too harsh on him. A truly excellent goalkeeper, a great shot stopper and superb command of his area for someone so young. Our league position would suggest he's been underworked this season, but he seems to make 1 or 2 excellent saves a game. Once he sorts his kicking out he'll have the ability to play at the top level no question, but considering he's only just turned 22 there's plenty of room for improvement.

If you get promoted (which you surely will) then I can see him well capable of playing first team football next year. In all probability you're better off sticking with Harper for next season and Krul is a decent player too from what I've seen, but Forster will play first team in the Premiership one day imo so you're well worth keeping hold of him. I'd say in an ideal world you could send him back here next year and then I think he'd be ready for the rigours of the Premier League, if you're still there by then of course.

16. Geordie_Wilky

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    Great stuff, all sounds very promissing. He is a local boy so would hope he sticks with us for a bit. Harper is about 35 now, so isn't going to be around forever so there is no harm in him going out on loan.

He might as well stick with you boys in the Championship next season as we are well stacked with Tim Krul as our 2nd goalie. (We also have the Swedish U21 goalie Ole Soderberg who is meant to be decent as well)

Tim, like Fraser is probably frustrated at the lack of first team opportunity but I can foresee a situation in the next couple of years where it is a straight fight between the two for the number 1 jersey.

We have been very lucky in the last decade with Shay Given as number 1 and a very able deputy local boy Harper as number 2. Maybe we can replicate that going forward over the next decade with Krul and Forster.

17. VivaNedFlanders

VivaNedFlanders Keeping The Faith, Always

Supports:
    Newcastle

Lets face it, which ever keeper gets the gig after Harps, he won't have waited as long as the man himself did before finally getting the big seat.

18. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    He has been a great keeper for us this season. The only mistake he made was, unfortunately, shown on Sky TV.

I hope we can keep hold of him for another season

19. VivaNedFlanders

VivaNedFlanders Keeping The Faith, Always

Supports:
    Newcastle

Indeed, that was a bit of a bollock, but Shay, Cech and VDS have all dropped bollocks in their time, some more than others Petr :whistle

20. Geordie_Wilky

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    I'm not too bothered about the one bollock up. Look at Shay Given, one of the best keepers in the world, but also made one of the biggest f**k ups I've ever seen. Think Dion Dublin and forgetting to look over your shoulder