1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freedom of the Press vs Privacy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by tajjuk, Sep 18, 2019.

1. tajjuk

tajjuk Registered User

Supports:
    Southampton
    So we have to fairly high profile examples of this going on right now, the first being Ben Stokes having some sort of past family tragedy being published by the Sun (I don't know what this is as I haven't gone to seek it out as I don't agree with what they did) for which he has personally criticised them and many others have.

We have also now found out that Gareth Thomas announced he was HIV purely because a journalist threatened to release it.

So what are people's thoughts, if everything fair game or should people's privacy be more protected?

Personally I think in a situation where someone famous has done something wrong, be it criminally (like thieving or assault or drugs or something) or morally (say an affair) then I think its probably fair enough, these people are adults, they made decisions, they made wrong decisions and this is a consequence of those decisions that comes as a downside to the benefits that fame brings.

But somesort of personal tragedy, tragedy in the family, some sort of illness stuff like this should be out of bounds for the press to make money from. The Sun in the Stokes story has actually broken its own code of conduct with the story, so should be have a more enforced code of conduct for the press?

2. TLC

TLC There Can Be Only One
    Staff Member

Supports:
    The mighty Newcastle United
    Tabloid / Red Top writers are the scum of the earth, they revel in destroying people, muck raking and shock and awe type writing.

I don't know what Ben Stokes past tragedy is, the first post in here is the first I have heard and it's none of my business, I'm not going to go looking for it, it's irrelevent - I've lost my entire family I have my own grief I don't need to make myself feel better by reading about someone elses misery. Raking it up putting it in print is done by vermin - however the vampiric goulish people who enjoy watching / reading the public airing of someones grief and loss are equally disgusting for revelling in and encouraging this horrible scumbag behaviour.

This isn't news, if people didn't buy it there wouldn't be a need to put it out there. As much as I'd like to blame 'the press' for it - our reality / Car Crash / Voyeristic culture creates a customer base for this :(

And to The reporter who announced the death of Fernando Ricksen's to one of his friends as he got off a flight at Gatwick then stuck a camera in his face to get a picture of his grief then sold it online

- Fernando's death is news,

his friends and families grief should be respected and private

- on the off chance that person or someone who knows that person ever reads this - you are vile disgusting scum and I hope you burn in hell for a long time.

83royal, Stevencc, Shane and 3 others like this.
  3. Andy SFC

Andy SFC Registered User

Supports:
    Stevenage
    i don't subscribe to the theory many tabloid reading mongs do in that these people ask for it because they are good at something and have more money than the average tabloid reading mong. If you are in public eye for anything and you break the law you are asking for trouble whether your a politician or pop star. I think social media plays a part now as well, trolling people picking on their weight, height, hair colour i mean jesus are people that hate ridden these days? I don't understand the whole tabloid thing, I remember waiting in the dentists and flicking through some mag or another and some brilliant papparazi scumbag had taken a photo of Liam Gallagher outside Tesco. I mean I'm a big fan of Liam's but couldn't care less where he shops or what he eats. The enquiry a few years back showed tabloid hacks for what they really were, petty little drunks who take great delight in causing misery and embarassment to anyone.

4. Burg

Burg ‘Absolute stick of a boy’

Supports:
    Fulham
    There’s a reasonable argument for both sides in this debate. I’m not really sure where I generally fall, it kind of depends on the situation. I would probably fall on the privacy side more often than not but generally agree that politicians private lives, regrettably, are in the interest of the public.

When it comes to the Sun, however, there isn’t. Privacy everytime. It’s a c*nt of a paper that should be closed down immediately.

Shane likes this.
  5. Jezza

Jezza Registered User

Supports:
    United
    Heard him on the radio almost in tears. Disgusting behaviour by all the people involved. He's came out fighting though, not that he should have to but he's owning it. Top bloke

Stevencc and tajjuk like this.
  6. Leivapool

Leivapool Arrogantly inferior.

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I heard how a journalist told his parents of his HIV status before he had the chance to, which is just ****ing despicable.

7. Andy SFC

Andy SFC Registered User

Supports:
    Stevenage
    Journalists are scum, we now have a failed Journo running the country :fail:

8. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Journalists are the low of the low, especially those who only needed to avoid a U grade in their GCSE English exam to have gotten a job with a red top newspaper.

There is literally no justification for what that utter rag did to Ben Stokes and his family. At a time when our country is pretty much on its knees, the best this newspaper could come up with was to regurgitate a 30 year old story that happened thousands of miles away from this country.

Modern journalism is all about sensationalism, not reporting important news, and the red tops in particular seem hell bent on creating a feeling of anger and upset amongst those that read them. I suppose then once this anger and upset manifests into violence on the streets, the red tops will have their exclusives they desire

9. Andy SFC

Andy SFC Registered User

Supports:
    Stevenage
    It always has been, rags like the Sun have always been the same and always will because the press are allowed to regulate themselves, scum regulating scum.

Tomohawk likes this.
  10. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Unless in a position of public authority or they commit a crime and its deemed In the publics interest to know then it should remain private.
    Sadly a lot of people are obsessed with everything their favourite celebrities are doing.
    I watch footballers because they play a game I love. Outside of that I couldnt care less about what they wear or what time they take a shit.

Although those ****s that put their whole life on Instagram to try and get famous are asking for it.

11. smogtilldeath

smogtilldeath Registered User

Supports:
    the 1 and only mighty boro
    It’s probably a very grey area. Like most things .

I think privacy should be respected concerning crime. Peoples names shouldn’t be published until a guilty verdict is reached in the court.

If men are accused of rape for example, then what right have the media to publish his name until he is actually found guilty? Mud sticks, and there will still be vigilantes adamant out here they’re guilty. Remember the drone couple at Heathrow? What happened to cliff Richard with the nonce allegations is absolutely disgraceful . That stigma will still stick , no matter if found innocent.

That said, there has to be an air of openness in the media, for accountability purposes. If the state controls too much what the press can publish, then you’re heading down a very authoritarian path (where it can essentially become propaganda)

Andy SFC likes this.
  12. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    Releasing things like the Gareth Thomas HIV story or the Ben Stokes family tragedy story is absolute scum. I ****ing depise the papers that do this and there is no worse paper for this than the s*n. The only reason they haven't folded is because they appeal to the dregs of society who are dumb as **** and want easy reading. The s*n consistently slags people off, most notably sports stars just to fill pages no matter the consequences of their actions, be it that the national team under-performs or if it has personal repercussions. They know no bounds and some of their so called journalists actually deserve prison sentences for what they've done.

Other papers are just as bad though. Riksen passed away and one 'journalist' decided to break the news to his friend, film it and sell the footage. What an absolute scum bag.

#12 Shane, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019