1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Future of the season

Discussion in 'Non-League Football' started by Super_horns, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Teams are now being charged for failing to fulfil their fixtures.

I presume they will lose points rather than be fined.

Will the season get completed or have to be cancelled?

What are the consequences for these clubs no doubt losing money by the week with no sign of financial lifelines coming in .

2. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    From what i read yesterday it sadly looks like Dover will go tits up as their owner says the can't afford to play another game, they won't be the only club in this position i'm sure. :(

3. Kim Mitten

Kim Mitten Registered User

Supports:
    Southend United
    We should find out pretty soon. Steps 3-6 were given questionnaires a few weeks ago basically setting out how they wanted to proceed. The options were null and void the season, cut the season down to just play a half or carry on when lockdown ends and try and fit everything in before June 1st.
    The last option seems the most unlikely as a lot of clubs would have to play 3-4 games a week. Everything needs to be ratified by the F.A but whatever the majority says is what is going to be put forward by step 3-6 clubs.
    The leagues released a statement today that said they are going to hold fire on any formal announcement until after the government announcement on the 22nd as they hope a restart date may well be in sight.

The money issue is actually a little easier to dissect for these clubs than the 'elite' clubs as they got a guaranteed grant to start the season, then pretty much every club had seen a 50% and more rise on attendances which boosted their coffers and two weeks ago were handed a £10M fund to see them through to the end of the season should there be no more football.
    Bizarre really but I'd expect no clubs from steps 3 down to fold due to financial reason whereas those above could all really struggle.

Dover's owner said at the start of the season that he would no longer be funding the side, even in a 'normal' season I would have expected them to be bottom. They've been hardest hit by postponements, still 8 games from even getting over half their games done.
    I guess he's just had enough, cos it's not a money issue, he's one of the richest men in the country and his business is food import/export, something which has not suffered during covid times, if anything, he's making more money than ever.

4. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Just come up on Sky that the National North and South have decided to null and void the season .

Lots of details here :

#4 Super_horns, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  5. HPC2

HPC2 Haydi Karacan

Supports:
    Scunthorpe United
    A group of mainly Southern teams want to keep playing on. Boston United and York City also involved.

6. Kim Mitten

Supports:
    Southend United
    Maidstone are saying they already have a legal team together and are confident the decision will be overturned.
    I find it a bit baffling that teams are complaining when everybody agreed that this was the framework they'd work to and whatever the outcome of the vote this was what would be put forward to the FA. Now they've had a democratic vote, some don't like it so they've changed their minds about working with the outcome.

It's the National Premier which could see the biggest mess. Dover have already decided to shut up shop and aren't going to play any fixtures, there were 6 others who voted to end the season and the 2 that didn't vote are thought to favour ending the season. Some talk going around that all 9 will get together and refuse to play fixtures unless guaranteed this bridge funding to see out the season.
    National league are threatening fines, docked points etc.

7. Kim Mitten

Supports:
    Southend United
    FA have announced steps 3-6 season has been extended to June 30th in an effort to fulfill all fixtures.
    None of the leagues have responded to this yet so it remains to be seen whether they'll continue the season or null and void it.
    I don't know if they'll allow games to go ahead behind closed doors but they'll need to, Bury Town and Cambridge City in the isthmian North have played just 4 games, yes 4. If they don't start before March 29th as currently set out that will give them 3 months to play 34 games.

#7 Kim Mitten, Feb 22, 2021 at 9:33 PM
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 9:38 PM
  8. Kim Mitten

Supports:
    Southend United
    Step 3-6 season over. 76% of all teams voted to end the season and the leagues have declined the FA extension of the season.
    So no football to go to at all between April and June 22nd, booooo.