1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

General Darts Thread

Discussion in 'General Sport' started by Andrew, Jul 25, 2014.

1. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Great player, just so unlikeable. Dominant though and most likely double World Champion this year.

2. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Convincing win for Price.

3. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Best in the world.

One of the only particularly interesting characters in the sport these days.

The Doc and BleedsIsDead like this.
  4. Arkwright

Arkwright Barnsleytilidie

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    Well done Price, the booing is getting boring now tbf. I think the siege mentality helps him as well though. Turned in to a very difficult player to beat, yes he's not an amiable character, but people should salute him as a great player now. It's not like he's a gobshite like Phil Taylor could be either.

5. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Yep, just unlikeable. Top player obviously. As for the booing that @Arkwright mentioned, I think players in the past have encouraged/embraced it such as Peter Manley, Nicholson but it eventually it gets to them, especially when they aren't actually playing well. Be interesting see how Price deals with that.

6. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    He's not likeable, and I can certainly see why he'd rile people up the wrong way, he's your typical valley's roidhead type but he's a genuine guy.

I think he's had it for a few years now, he'll probably feel bothered by it and it will rile him up but I don't think it'll effect his performance too much as that's the sort of mood he tends to be in when he's in good form.

7. Burg

Burg The Fulham

Supports:
    Fulham
    I don’t like Price particularly and think he’s bearing the brunt of his own issues tbf. But the booing is even boring me at this point.

He’s class. Credit where it’s due.

Think Wright is better when on top top form (Matchplay being the example) but Price is so hard to beat and his timing is bloody impressive.

8. Si Robin

Si Robin Cheltenham Spa - Ra ra ra

Supports:
    Cheltenham
    It does get to him at times, he's mentioned it before after some defeats. It really does depend what mood he takes into the game.

I can't stand Price, I've met him at an exhibition and he was the only non-approachable player of the six that were there, the others being MVG (absolutely lovely bloke despite his actions on the oche), Mark Webster, Joe Cullen, Fallon Sherrock and Bobby George. He also doesn't do that thing that pros do when playing the average man on the street, with trick shots and whatnot. He had to absolutely annihilate his opponent who, with greatest respect, could barely throw the dart.

Now it's possible it was just an off night for him, but I've heard similar from other people who've been to his exbos. The only other defence I'd offer is that he's still relatively new to the exhibition game.

All that being said, I don't agree with booing a player on stage, especially when they're going for a double. By the same token, I also don't agree with the gamesmanship (for that's exactly what it is) of celebrating a 140 or similar like you've just won your first World title. Especially as he's talented enough to win without doing it.

9. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    I’ve grown to quite like Price, I certainly think he plays up to his villain persona. Can you imagine the level of booing he’d get if he played Sherrock? :laugh:

10. Burg

Burg The Fulham

Supports:
    Fulham
    As a side note, is Mark Webster the absolutely lovely bloke most people say he is?

99% have said he was a top man but one guy I know couldn’t stand him :laugh:

11. Si Robin

Si Robin Cheltenham Spa - Ra ra ra

Supports:
    Cheltenham
    Yeah he was lovely.

For him, darts was just something he happened to be good at. He was fantastic when he won the 2008 BDO Worlds, and carried that into his early PDC career. A shame he got dartitis really.

12. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    I do think we'll start seeing mode female darts players on the tour in the future, and doing well too now the door has been opened and younger players have the confidence boost of seeing what's possible.

Darts is one of the very few sports where male physical advantages aren't actually an advantage and the sport can genuinely be played to an equal standard by both sexes. It's a sport of pure accuracy, physicality doesn't come into it. It doesn't matter how hard you throw the darts into the board, you still score the same number of points. There's no real advantage gained from being stronger or taller, so long as you can aim accurately from your particular stand point that's all that matters.

Snooker I don't think will see the same breakthroughs though. They're trying hard to push it but it's a sport where male physical advantages do give an advantage. Extra height means you can lean further into the table and be able to use the rest less which increases the range of shots available to taller people from certain sections of the table. And extra cue power from being stronger opens up more options with positional shots like getting around multiple cushions and splitting the pack. Those are disadvantages that I don't think women are going to be able to overcome at the elite level in my opinion. Win a few matches, yeah. But win tournaments? I don't think that could happen. Whereas it could in darts if the necessary talent pool comes through.

13. Arkwright

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    Good to see an entertaining player like Lewis play well and win a match to get to last 32 of players champs. But I wish he didn't look such a scruff all the time.

14. Monty

Monty Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Raith Rovers, Arsenal
    Lewis his usual obnoxious self after losing to Snakebite, horrible man.

Arkwright likes this.
  15. Arkwright

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    Doesn't help himself does he? I'd like to see him play Price and call him a cheat. Then again, I don't think Price would bother chinning him, would probably laugh in his face.:laugh:

16. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Early exit for Price v Dolan .

Arkwright likes this.
  17. Arkwright

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    Van Gerwin moaning about conditions at Minehead. If you don't like it you whingeing face pulling turd, don't come. These events pay your wages. Yes they basically playing in a big tent and it's been very windy outside. It's same for everybody. I'm sure there's no shortage of players who would jump at the chance to play in your place. I joined the anybody but Moaner Van Gurner camp.

18. Arkwright

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    Sithi van gurner.:laugh:

19. Frosty

Frosty Champions Of Europe

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Lewis could create an argument with only himself in the room.

20. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    Anybody had a bet yet?