1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Clarke..

Discussion in 'General British Football' started by Super_horns, Nov 10, 2020.

1. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    Think it's a case of Al Capone going down for Tax Evasion.

He's not getting slammed for this incident in particular, it's just the straw the broke the camels back.

SamB_SCFC, The Doc and Tomohawk like this.
  2. LEF

LEF Skinflint

Supports:
    Whoever you say I support
    When I was younger I was taught that I shouldn’t call black people ‘black’ because that is offensive, and so we should instead use the word ‘coloured’ as that’s more respectful. I never really followed this as it seemed ridiculous to me, and now somewhere along the line it’s been reversed and ‘coloured’ is the offensive term.

The whole thing is absurd. The more we focus on these terms the more division there will be. The only time I feel any different from someone who is black is when racial tension is unnecessarily whipped up in this manner, where it feels as though you’re walking on eggshells in case you accidentally say the wrong thing. If Clarke said something genuinely offensive then fair enough, throw the book at him, but there’s no malice at all in saying the word ‘coloured’ ffs.

3. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    I think saying that being gay is a 'life choice' is actually far more outdated and offensive than using the word coloured to describe black people. I'm pretty surprised that all the focus has been placed on his use of the word coloured.

The Doc likes this.
  4. zippy

zippy The friendly Fascist

Supports:
    Sheffield United,FC Bayern
    My opinion exactly. I too remember when we were supposed to call them coloured, the whole thing is f##king ridiculous, a joke.

5. ccfctommy

ccfctommy Basket Case Club

Supports:
    Coventry City, Rangers
    I do agree with this. I get the feeling that they were looking for an excuse to kick him out.

That being said, Greg Clarke made an absolute arse of it. His comments about the Asian people in IT, girls don't like having the ball at them, being gay is a lifestyle choice. Of course, Clarke isn't racist. But I've known for ages that words like 'coloured' and 'half-caste' are incredibly outdated. He is the figurehead of a massive organisation that is trying to appeal to minorities etc. How can he not know this? No sympathy for him whatsoever.

SamB_SCFC, The Doc and Super_horns like this.
  6. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Coloured sounds like a word used in Alabama in the 1800's or what Jim Davidson would use.

7. KaneD

KaneD Registered User

Supports:
    Newport County
    Im not defending him but in America where has worked the term "men/women of color" is still used.