1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello Guest. We'd appreciate your feedback on some proposed changes we have in mind for the Championship, League One and League Two forums. Please take a moment to read the proposals, and make your comments here: Clicky Clicky
    Dismiss Notice

Half Season Review (How has your season gone so far?)

Discussion in 'League One' started by poacher, Dec 30, 2016.

1. poacher

poacher Forza Walsall!

Supports:
    Walsall
    Copied from the Championship forum.

Half Season Review

How has your season gone so far?

Very meh. Most of the positive momentum built up by the club in the past few years was lost in a few weeks over the summer and our new manager and the team he's built are yet to convince they can be anything more than average at best.

Best moment?

Beating Bolton despite playing most of the game with ten men.

Biggest disappointment?

We broke the habit of a lifetime in the summer and actually spent some money, smashing our transfer record which had stood since 1979! However, the guy we signed - 21-year-old Cypriot Andreas Makris - has been completely underwhelming. There seems to be no plan for how to use him, I'm not sure he's even played a full 90 minutes and he looks no better than the type of young player we normally pick up on a free. The whole transfer seems a little bit fishy to me.

Getting hammered by Scunthorpe and Rochdale has become the norm in recent years, but was still disappointing, as was going out of both cups to lower league clubs in the first round.

Star performer?

Without our keeper Neil Etheridge, we'd probably be bottom four. Contract is up in the summer and I expect he'll be on his way to the Championship or a better-paying League One side.

Revised predicted finish?

Tipped us to finish 9th, but think around 15th to 17th is more likely.

Best side you have played?

Both Scunny and Rochdale humiliated us.

Worst side you have played?

Both Swindon and Vale were supposed to be very poor.

Best opposition players?

Can't argue with Morris' stats at Scunny.

Main worry/weakness for the rest of the season?

Might sound harsh, but I worry that most of our wins have been down to luck or the opposition's ineptitude rather than our own ability. Take away our wins over Bolton and Sheff Utd, which probably had more to do with luck than judgement and we'd only be three points above the drop zone in a very poor division where you won't need to be especially good to challenge for the playoffs.

Injury List

Florent Cuvellier and Isiah Osbourne are fit at the moment, but have been crocked for most of the campaign. The latter has been very impressive when he's played and if Cuvellier can get back to the player he was a few years ago we will have a very good midfielder.

Any transfer activity expected in January?

Probably another loan or two, nothing major though.

2. Cal_BCFC

Cal_BCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bradford City
    We've only lost three games so I can't really complain, but it has been pretty frustrating. Too many draws and lack of goals, but we're still in the top 6 and all we need is a turn in luck and we're right back in the promotion hunt, so on the whole not bad.

Best moment?
    The last minute winner at Wimbledon to keep us right in it is the only thing to really pop out, pretty dull season so far.

Biggest disappointment?
    The draws. At home we've drawn with Vale, Oldham, Bristol and Southend and if we had beaten them four we'd be on 46 points and two points behind Scunny. 11 draws from 23 games is poor and we need to start turning them into wins, quickly. Losing to Accrington in both the FA and League Cup first rounds was also pretty poor.

Star performer?
    Vincelot and NKP have been very good at the back, Meredith as usual also had a very good season. Law and Dieng do what they do very well but it's got to be Josh Cullen. Was very surprised we got him back and it sounds like we're going to manage to extend it, which is very pleasing. The lads a different league and is a stand out most games.

If we sign a striker soon (AKA within 10 days) who doesn't need 20 shots to score 1 goal, top 4 easily. If we carry on as we are 6th. I think we will get that striker, and I think we'll finish 3rd.

From who I've seen, Southend had a good game plan here but it'd have to be Sheff Utd. Pretty good in every position.

Vale were poor although it was the first game of the season, Shrewsbury were also poor but I was surprised with Rochdale. Yes they had injuries but they were very poor and I'd have to say them. Clearly one of them days though as they're flying ATM.

Best opposition players?
    Probably have to say Billy Sharp.

Goals and too many draws. Simple as that.

Injury List
    We seem to be doing well with injuries, whether that's down to our good depth I'm not sure but somebody we do need back is Billy Clarke, and sharpish.

Nathan Clarke is off to Coventry apparently - right for everybody involved. Can see Vuckic going back too. A striker will sign and not too sure about anywhere else.

3. Faustus

Faustus Social Injustice Warrior

Supports:
    MK Dons
    Half Season Review

Badly, but improving now.

Best moment?

Beating AFC despite significant odds with their great away from and our appealing home record. Potentially the biggest embarrassment of the season didn't happen. Beating Swindon earlier was great too just to stuff the smug twats, yet again. We're on a great winning run against the swines in recent years, long may it continue.

Biggest disappointment?

Most of the season, but above all else, the run of absymal home form. As a close runner-up Scott Wootton getting a season-ending injury after a promising first few games was also a massive let-down for both us and him. Losing our main defender and second biggest signing of the summer after only a couple of games has proven a nightmare and really messed the season up in defensive terms.

Star performer?

Hard to say really, it's changed at times and no-one has consistently stood out. Walsh has been important at times, Baldock has had great performances and a couple of games Lewington put in a huge effort as a centre-back. Overall no-one has really stood out that much though.

If Neilson gets to bring in some effective players he wants we could make the playoffs at the last minute. In reality we'll probably finish somewhere around 10th or 8th.

Hard to say really, quite a few sides have really pasted us, but Scunthorpe stood out.

Surprisingly, given the great season they've been having, AFCW. They just weren't there on the day. Chesterfield were poor too, but they still won.

Best opposition players?

Haven't really been to enough matches this season to say.

Most of them are gone now we've given Robinson the shove and replaced him with a decent manager who looks likely to do things. Probably going to continue having problems with a lack of defensive depth though. We really need more full-backs in during the January window. A lack of strikers is also an issue we need to address. Maynard is a joke with only one goal this season, Tshimanga is too inexperienced and Agard it isn't his natural position.

Injury List

It's been on-and-off throughout the season but Chuks Aneke has just returned to full fitness after the season out injured and Walsh has recently returned. Wootton remains out for the season. Can't think of any others that come to mind though although I think there are more out.

Possibly a bit both in and out, but depends what happens. Neilson certainly has plans to add to the squad.

4. Benzel

Benzel Registered User

Supports:
    Swindon Town.
    Half Season Review

Shite. Odd moments and results where the players have shown their abilities but as a unit they aren't good enough.

Best moment?

Uhhhhhh.... winning on tv?

Biggest disappointment?

Failing to learn from the mistakes of the last 2 years and draft in some wise older heads and defenders.

Star performer?

Lawrence Vigouroux. We'd be losing 8-0 every other week rather than 4.

Thought we'd do ok and end up midtable. Will take 18th. Will revise again once the window has slammed shut.

Presumably Scunny but I didn't go. Nobody looks any good really. Easily the worst L1 in years.

Charlton and Rochdale were both particularly bad at The County Ground.

Best opposition players?

Oztumer.

Power sell Vigouroux, doesn't put his money where his mouth is and recruit as he has been saying he will.
    Our ability to defend. Lack of killer instinct, despite not deserving to win last night, MK were there for the taking and we did nothing about it.

Injury List

Nathan Thompson and Jon Obika will be back on it before the week is out. Jamie Sendles-White out for the season after (Tom Pope) doing his knee in. Most of the first XI will be back on it at some point.

A lot apparently. Hopefully more in than out.

#4 Benzel, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  5. White Hind

White Hind Registered User

Supports:
    Bolton Wanderers, Gimnastic de Tarragona, NY Giants
    Half Season Review

Better than expected.

Best moment?

Probably the performance v Gillingham.

Biggest disappointment?

Being in this Division.

Star performer?

Mark Beevers.

Top 6 somewhere.

Probably Oxford, but ive seen them a couple of times since and they looked bloody awful.

In a Division with many poor sides, I would have to say Port Vale, by a country mile.

Best opposition players?

None have stood out.

Lack of goals.

Injury List

Too large.

Chairmans son tweeted last night to watch this space. So, probably.

6. No-One Likes Us

No-One Likes Us Super Neil Harris

Supports:
    Millwall

Not exactly brilliant, this should be a promotion season. Won the last three though, so things are starting to turn. The top sides would probably still beat us nine times out of ten though, which is worrying.

Best moment?

Beating Charlton 3-1. A rousing chorus of "You'll never beat Millwall" always goes down well.

Biggest disappointment?

September to mid December. We've had some dire games.

Star performer?

Steve Morison. One of the best players in the division on form. Ben Thompson deserves praise for his work ethic, and Fred Onyedinma is starting to show some consistency too.

Thought we'd be top two, will change it to between 5th and 10th.

We were lucky to get a point against Bradford.

Chesterfield and Oxford were both particularly poor.

Best opposition players?

Billy Sharp. Too good for this level.

That we'll resort back to hoofball. Our defence is still far from convincing.

Injury List

We badly missed Morison and Gregory when they were both out at the same time. Keeping them fit is vital.

Hopefully a left back, and Jed Wallace should be coming to us from Wolves again.

7. DougWomble

DougWomble Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Half Season Review

Very well, to be honest. We're holding our own in this division, and we're doing better than any of our fans probably thought we would (especially after losing all of our first 4 games).

Best moment?

Spanking Bury 5-1. It's the first time in literally years we've given someone a spanking.

Biggest disappointment?

Nothing comes to mind. Maybe the two games over the festive period, which has seen us slip from 'just outside the playoff spots' to 'mid-table obscurity'

Star performer?

James Shea in goal - with us since 2014, he's seen two keepers come in and take his place, but he's quietly carried on doing what he does, and now he's our No 1 keeper again he's flourishing. When we were in desperate need to turn our fortunes around after 4 straight defeats, he went 4 games conceding only 2 goals - a penalty and an o.g.

10th. Hopefully.

Genuinely, no team stands out. My biggest fear at the start of the season is we'd get quite a few good shoeings from other teams. This hasn't happened, and even the recent 0-3 reverse against Southend saw us playing with ten men for part of the game. I'd hazard Bolton as a guess, if I had to...?

Bury. Scoring 10 goals in 2 games against them says it all.

Best opposition players?

Again, genuinely, I can't think of one.

A gradual slide down the table, as teams figure out how to play us, and injuries take their toll, and a late dalliance with the relegation spots.

Injury List

A couple of minor niggles, nothing too bad (for now). Musn't grumble.

Maybe a nippy winger? The beauty of the team is that they are a very tight squad, and Neal Ardley has already said that if he brought anyone in, it would be difficult to be an improvement on what we already have.

8. Cal_BCFC

Cal_BCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bradford City
    What's the chances of Poleon leaving you for us?

9. DougWomble

DougWomble Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Well, that's a tricky one.

We're able to boast 4 strikers at the moment, and they work well together in rotation. At the moment I think we need stability in League One more than money - due to sensible budgeting for the season ahead - and Poleon is a major part of (hopefully) keeping us in League One. Having said that, I think if a stupidly huge offer came in Ardley would find it hard to say no.

Also from memory (so don't quote me on it), he moved down from Oldham to London as he was feeling homesick, so a move back up North may not be to his liking. Again, don't quote me.

Cal_BCFC likes this.
  10. JackSUFC

JackSUFC Registered User

Supports:
    T' Blades

Four points clear at the top. One defeat since August. Quite well so far.

Best moment?

Hard to say to be honest. We've strolled past teams without having to get out of 2nd gear but we've also had to dig late wins out when we've not played particularly well like Bury and Northampton at home. Our 95th minute equaliser at Fleetwood too. The second half at Chesterfield was a performance that springs to mind, completely dismantled them, scored four and should have been more.

Biggest disappointment?

After four games we had a point. Since then there's been nothing to complain about. Our only defeat since then was at home to Walsall, in a game that 9 times out of 10 we'd have come away with something. Conceding so late at Charlton felt like a defeat in a game we should've been out of sight.

Star performer?

Billy is on 16 goals already and gets all the plaudits but we've got players playing well in all positions. Simon Moore in goal has made a real difference and so has Ethan Ebanks-Landell at the back. However Paul Coutts, John Fleck and Mark Duffy have been sensational. Easily the best midfield trio in the division. Can't think of any team that have outclassed us in midfield, even when those three have had an off-day.

Don't want to say.

Bradford looked strong at their place but other than that no one stands out.

Again hard to say as we've dominated the league. Oldham were bottom of the league when we played them on Boxing Day but looked a better side than Port Vale for example, who we beat 4-0 when they were fourth.

Best opposition players?

No idea.

A blip.

Injury List

Injury free right now.

We've already added Samir Carruthers from MK Dons and are set to bring in Joe Riley (a left-sided full-back/winger) on loan from Man Utd. I think Daniel Lafferty's permanent move and Ethan Ebanks-Landell's extended loan are already done deals too.

11. unitedtwotownnil

unitedtwotownnil Registered User

Supports:
    Scunthorpe United
    Half Season Review

Exceeded my expectations. We've not looked like falling away at all, GA has sorted the defence out.

Best moment?

Scoring four goals against Swindon in the First Half, i've not been to game like that in a long while. Beating Peterborough away was nice too.

Biggest disappointment?

Our half-arsed performance away to Charlton in the FA Cup.

Star performer?

Josh Morris, without a doubt. Best attacking midfielder we've had in a while.

I Thought we'd be top 10, now hopefully Second.

Oxford Deserved their Point at ours and could have had more. Charlton's Lookman took us apart, not surprised he has moved on.

Shrewsbury were poor, couldn't score so resorted to going down injured and whining to the Ref.

Best opposition players?

Lookman of Charlton(Now Everton), Maguire of Oxford and Forrester of Peterborough.

GA doesn't pick a settled striker partnership and we struggle up front. Can't rely on Josh Morris constantly. And we revert to going 1-0 up after 10 mins, sit back and concede in the 78th minute.

Injury List

Couldn't tell you.

Any transfer activity expected?

We've brought in Craig Davies, not expecting any more. Hopefully Richie Smallwood says on loan, Harry Toffolo is.