1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Halloween

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Canary Fairy, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    I’m not a huge fan of Halloween, but am finding myself watching Ghost Trip (Coach Trip with ‘celebrities’ (I use that term very, very loosely..!) with a spooky twist)

Last night, those who wanted to, could take part in a séance and a Ouija board. Some believed in it, others weren’t convinced.

Have you ever dabbled in anything like it? Do you believe you can contact the other side?

Not a chance I would.. I think leave the spirits be. I would be far too scared lol

Do you answer the door to trick or treaters? I will up to about 6pm when the little ones knock but, after that, never

#1 Canary Fairy, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  2. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip
    I don't mind Halloween I enjoy seeing all the costumes but I could do without the doorbell going every 2mins.

3. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    It used to be quite annoying years back, but these days I don't see anyone out with kids knocking on doors.

I remember when we were kids we used to hollow out a turnip and put a candle in it, none of this soft pumpkin nonsense, in fact I'm not sure I ever saw a pumpkin until about 20 years ago.

The Doc and SamB_SCFC like this.
  4. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    Do my best to completely ignore it. I've never liked dressing up in costumes and I've always made the minimum effort when I've went to a party that requires it.

If folk enjoy it then great, but I can't be arsed.

5. Andy

Andy Formerly Manutdlegend

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I’ve 2 dogs so I hate this time of year. Halloween for the door going every 2 mins setting the dogs off & Bonfire for scaring the dogs out of their minds.

I usually take the dogs out Halloween night via the pub.

TLC likes this.
  6. Foxwell

Foxwell A little bit of the bubbly

Supports:
    Manchester United FC
    We very rarely see kids out trick or treating around our way. I'd rather kids had little house parties instead, it seems safer for them and less of a nuisance to other households. But I wouldn't be grumpy, anything for kids to have a bit of fun is okay by me, and I've usually got something lying around they could have as I've got a major sweet tooth.

My mum would never let me go to any Halloween parties or go trick or treating as a kid because she thought it was a "stupid American type of thing and she didn't believe in it". I wouldn't pass on judgement like that, if kids want to have fun then let them.

I've dressed up in costumes a few times for Halloween parties, personally I don't mind it. It's a laugh for a couple of hours, and some people come up with some crazy costumes. I would usually just don a mask of some sort and then liberally apply some fake blood.

As for spirits, ghosts, other side type stuff - it's not something I believe in.

7. Vito Andolini

Vito Andolini Registered User

Supports:
    Celtic
    Pointless American Shiite

Mowgli likes this.
  8. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    I might put a bowl of sweets out the front door as I feel it'll be a busy one for trick or treaters this year, but cannot be asked with the pleasantries.

9. Panja

Panja In a land down under

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Last year was the first time we had Halloween in the new house so I bought loads of sweets in case kids came trick or treating. Not one person knocked on the door so I ended up eating all the sweets, put two kilos on and had to go to the dentist which cost me $300.
    **** Halloween.

Trent Mist and Jonny Ninja like this.
  10. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    It’s a Sunday so will probably be pretty quiet - or they will trick or treat early.

They all seem to have Halloween parties now instead where it’s all fancy dress etc .

Even my friends 18 month old daughter has been invited to one .

11. Addick By Nature

Addick By Nature Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    Just never answer the door. Buy your own kids sweets, don’t come knocking on my door begging.

12. Panja

Panja In a land down under

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    #shambles

Addick By Nature likes this.
  13. Si Robin

Si Robin Cheltenham Spa - Ra ra ra

Supports:
    Cheltenham
    I'm not a big fan of Halloween, but make a bit of an effort for the kids.

When I take them trick or treating, we only go to houses that have pumpkins and the like outside and we usually go out about 5ish anyway. My 15 year old wants to get dressed up and go out, but just to mess around with his mates (he's a decent kid so won't be being anti-social). My 11 year old though tested positive for Covid last week and we're not 100% certain if his first day out is Halloween or the day after - the wife is meant to be checking.

StretfordEnd likes this.
  14. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    My kids don’t go trick or treating simply because my twins were born on the 31st Oct so we always have a Halloween themed birthday party instead.

My youngest wants to dress up as The Grinch this year but I’ve tried to explain that’s more of a xmas thing but he ain’t having it so The Grinch he will be! :laugh:

Canary Fairy likes this.
  15. TLC

TLC FF's OverWench
    Staff Member

Supports:
    The mighty Newcastle United
    Sam
    Same

The fireworks will start on Friday and run pretty much the whole way to new year, I'll be dosing the dogs up on Xanax to keep their panic at 'just shaking and drooling in fear' but not quite shitting themselves :(

Fortunately nobody will walk down our lane to knock doors so it is literally only next doors little boy who might want to do it and I'll arrange that properly with his parents

16. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    I can't say that I'm a fan but living in an apartment block does have it's benefits for this - just have to make sure the main entrances are shut and switch the intercom off and it's job done. As has been said above, I think the numbers who actually do the door-to-door shit has reduced dramatically over the years anyway although I have noticed an increase in Halloween decorations on houses this year and a few on my running route with pumpkins and stuff outside their door. This disappoints me the most as I am still hunting a house with Xmas decorations up so I can moan about people putting them up too early :D

17. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    A shop that many people don’t pay a lot of attention to for most of the year took centre stage at the Arndale today, as dozens of people queued outside.

Hidden Corner, a fancy dress store on the upper level of the shopping centre, needed two security guards to keep shoppers in line, as tens of people snaked along the hallway waiting for a chance to get inside.

People walking past on their way to the food court were unable to tear their eyes away from the store, passing by the buzzing crowd waiting to find the perfect outfit for this weekend’s festivities.

Some shoppers were dismayed, realising they needed to join the queue to get an all-important part of their costumes, whilst others looked on in awe at the sight.

A few people even tried to walk straight into the shop, not realising the queue forming behind them was filled with others hoping to take a look around the bustling store.

“It’s a charity do, the organiser runs one every year and this year it’s raising money for St Ann’s Hospice.

“We always dress up so I’ve got to find something good.

“I got something yesterday but it’s far too long so I’m just looking for anything.”

Lucy from Manchester was out looking for something to wear for work this weekend.

She said: “I’m actually working Halloween, I work in a bar, so I just want to find something to dress up in.

“It’s nice to get into the spirit of things, especially when you’re working and can’t go out and celebrate yourself.

"I don't mind waiting, they're obviously busy, and we’re expecting it to be busy at my workplace too so I know what it's like.

"Hopefully people will like that I’ve put a bit of effort in."

Others walking past decided against costume shopping after seeing the number of people waiting, with one woman describing the situation as a “joke”.

The queue appeared to move quite quickly, and several people leaving the store with their newly acquired costumes in big plastic bags and massive smiles on their faces showed that it must have been worth the wait.

[​IMG]

Arndale fancy dress shop sees huge queues ahead of first post-lockdown Halloween

:rolleyes

18. TLC

TLC FF's OverWench
    Staff Member

Supports:
    The mighty Newcastle United
    After a chat with next door I can now confirm we won't have any trick or treaters for halloween as they're visiting family this weekend :) Happy Days

Canary Fairy likes this.
  19. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Outside of proper pandemic times, I'm not queuing up to get inside a store. People are weird.

20. SpongeParr

SpongeParr Registered User

Supports:
    QPR
    Hate halloween. I normally go out for a meal with the misses to avoid having to hear the doorbell go off.

I was always taught that you only knock on doors that have pumpkins out/in the window.