1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia & Racism on the Rise

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Flip Duckling, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    A timely report from Kick It Out shows complaints of discrimination have risen from under 100 to over 500 in the last five years.

Kick It Out says reports of racism and homophobia continue to rise

Anti-Semitism has also risen heavily. You can't dismiss the right-wing shift the world has taken being partly responsible for this.

This weekend saw homophobic chants towards Brighton fans and a banana being thrown at the Arsenal game.

#1 Flip Duckling, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. rogue

rogue Guest

Nothing to do with the shift in right wing. More and more trival things are being reported. It's generation snowflake.

As for throwing a banana skin at a black player i thought this stuff was left in the 80's. Ban the prick for life. That is proper offensive stuff that has no place in society.

GDP likes this.
  3. Godolphin

Godolphin Banned

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    Heard “yid army” loads yesterday, did they all get locked up for it? Until they do, nobody should get done for chanting similar at football.

4. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon ENIC out!

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I think people are just reporting it more opposed to there being a genuine rise in incidents.

It was worse in the past and I think in the more recent past you'd just have a word with idiots around you chanting stuff anything too over the line.

Some of it is out of order, the banana yesterday rightly saw a lifetime ban but I'm not buying that it's any worse now than it ever has been.

The abuse online is probably worse than anything in the ground.

5. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I'd argue that
    People reporting it more is a good thing. People are more intolerant of intolerance, how it should be.

It was obviously worse back in the '80s, but there is a similar nationalist identity being formed.

Online abuse plays into it. There are heaps of people that spend all their time online and start thinking it's alright.

Leivapool likes this.
  6. rogue

rogue Guest

Lots of clubs have a grass line number whether on the clubs official site or match day programme.

Of course the left wing media outlets and organizations are all over this blaming Brexit and the rise of the far right. Most sensible people know this is bollox.

Lots of reporting is pathetic and a waste of everyone's time.
    A few years ago Brighton fans were reported by a person watching a match on tv for allegedly for singing sheep shagger at a Cardiff player.

FFS

kitchenman likes this.
  7. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon ENIC out!

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I agree with that but that was my point, the two are linked.

If more people are beginning to report these incidents then inevitably it's going to appear that the incidents are increasing. The reality is it's always been there in football but people have been less prone to reporting it in the past.

Now you've got mobile phones and all of the technology available at your fingerprints it's easier than ever to report it anonymously.

I struggle to believe that football is five times worse now than it was five years ago. The demographic of supporters going to games has changed a lot in that time for one. It's a much more welcoming, friendlier, tamer environment now than it ever has been.

kitchenman and Flip Duckling like this.
  8. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Can't say i've noticed any real difference in years, obviously in the 80s it was much, much worse (Liverpool fans singing trigger trigger, shoot that N at Danny Wallace for a start), but it seemed to largely die out in the late 90s except a handful of backwards c*nts, and seems to have stayed the same now.

Homophobic abuse has definitely dropped off too, used to be pretty common to hear that in grounds, even in the late 90's early 00's, but aside from games against Brighton you don't really hear it anymore.

9. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think in general racism for a start has dropped, massively, not just in football, but in general. Go and watch half the TV programnes from back in the 70's and you'll hear nothing but the N or the P word.

I no longer go the match, but I'm pretty sure the abuse I'd hear back in the day doesn't go on today.

Obviously there is an awful lot more reported now, but that doesn't equal more actual abuse, just that back in the day no one cared about reporting it...even those being abused, because nothing would end up being done, back then.

FranniesTache likes this.
  10. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    I hear racism at football grounds at least once a season unfortunately. Sadly (because I’d hope it’d be changing through generations) it isn’t always older people like I’d expect.

11. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Once a season? Will, back in the day you'd hear it at almost any game that included a black player. As @FranniesTache says, the trigger, trigger type song or Evertons famous "Everton are white" song...it was part of the terraces back then.

Nowadays, I'd imagine it being just a handful of Tommy Robbo type fans giving it the shite...back then it would be entire ends.

12. Papa Francesco

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    It’s not a dick measuring contest, just saying that it’s very sad that it’s still happening at all.

gate17 likes this.
  13. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Everton used to revel in the name KKK didn't they, were always proud they'd never had a black player. Then there was Chelsea and their links to combat 18 and the BNP, and pretty regular monkey noises at games.

Leeds also had a pretty bad reputation for it, as did Boro and the Sheffield clubs.

These days the most you'll hear is a solo dickhead shouting out racist abuse, and normally their own fans will shut them down pretty quickly. It was a totally different world back in the early 80s.

King_Kenny likes this.
  14. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    And I said it was? FFS what is wrong with you? I was just pointing out what it was like back then...

15. Papa Francesco

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    You responded in a dismissive way to my post, not sure how else I’m meant to take it other than you dismissing the point I was making.

If that’s not how it was meant then fair enough but it’s how it read.

16. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Absolutely mate. And yeah, I'd expect that the case with the odd dickhead these days, not entire ends like back in the day.

17. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool

And you've just called ME paranoid? :laugh:

It wasn't meant to be dismissive, just my way of saying it was far worse back then...far far worse.

18. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    It didn't read as being dismissive to me, more that it was just a different place back then. I doubt @King_Kenny would disagree with that it's sad that it still goes on, i think his point was probably more like mine that back then it was far, far worse because no one cared (which is the sad reality).

In fact most of football back then was nastier, you'd hear songs about deaths/killing people all the time (Harry Palmer anyone?), regular songs about kicking the f*ck out of away fans/rivals, songs that were outwardly racist, songs about bombings, or people losing their jobs.

The whole edge was completely different, and you can't really compare the two to be honest. Comparing the early/mid 80s terraces to now is like comparing bare knuckle fighting to professional boxing.

19. Papa Francesco

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    I was agreeing with you though? Don’t get your comment at all unless the original post I replied to had a spelling mistake.

20. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Even terms of “affection” would be beyond the pail now, we had a player called George Lawerence (sure you’ll remember him) who was a cult hero.

His nickname was Chicken George. Named after a character from the TV series Roots. A tv series about slavery ffs!

Can you imagine the uproar if that happened now?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk