1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

How long has Ole got

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by gate17, Sep 22, 2019.

1. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Yeah, tbf Solksjaer has a lot of experience as a manager.

Approaching 200 games as a manager in England.

2. David

David Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea
    151 for Solksjaer

84 for Lampard

3. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    181 for Solksjaer*

Admittedly Cardiff is in Wales, but they operate in English football.

4. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    The other difference is Solskjaer has matched the ambitions set even though by Uniteds past standards they are quite modest.

Lampard was sacked because Chelsea weren't getting top 4 under him

5. David

David Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea
    That’s a good point. I was just going off his matches with Manchester United which is still almost double that of Lampard’s and nothing to show for it

6. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Fair enough, what do you reckon Lampard would have achieved with 150 games managing Chelsea?

7. David

David Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Probably an FA Cup or League Cup. He did make the FA Cup final his first year with the embargo. With three full years it would be hard to imagine he wouldn’t win a domestic cup or a Europa League title

8. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Pretty easy to imagine tbf.

9. David

David Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Chelsea are almost always in a cup final every year and he made the FA Cup final in his first year. He was still in the competition when he was sacked so it’s not unlikely it wouldn’t happen. He’d never get a sniff at three full seasons with Chelsea with no silverware obviously, but I think he’d pick something up, although not the PL or CL titles

10. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Even Rafa picked up a trophy at Chelsea and he was granted a fraction of the time Lampard was given.

11. David

David Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Right so did Sarri. Both are better managers than Lampard, he's not bad but clearly wasn't ready for the job. Solskjaer is ahead of Lampard but only slightly really. Neither are good enough for the stature of the clubs they were/are at and Chelsea reacted which obviously worked out great. United won't make the move they need to because their management doesn't match the ambition to win silverware so Solskjaer is fine for now.

Chelsea are much more aggressive in their approach with managers and in the market which is why a mediocre manager could stumble their way into silverware and why I think Lampard would have if he was given three years like Solskjaer.

Silver Red and MrLeeLemon like this.
  12. Olut

Olut Member

Supports:
    Champions League Trophy Hunter
    Where Benitez now ? When I read Benitez I want this or Rio Ferdinand about a year if not Solskjaer wins a large trophy I Think so ...

13. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    You're giving edibles a bad name @Olut

David likes this.
  14. Silver Red

Silver Red Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United Football Club
    Weird one with lampard. He was building his reputation at derby and he teed himself up for a second season there where he’d maybe push for the title or at least the play offs. He was never ready for the Chelsea job but what was he supposed to do, he simply couldn’t say no to that opportunity.

I also believe if it wasn’t for the transfer ban lampard would never have even been considered. He was a cheap option for them who would get a lot of leeway from the fans due to his status., weather the storm. Also, probably true is that no elite manager was too keen about not being able to sign their own players for 12 months. Not exactly an attractive proposition.

They bought him in to keep fans onside whilst saving money on a top managerial salary. Turns out he did rather well and so kept him on. Spent a load of money but it’s clear they weren’t his signings, doubt he even had a say at all to be honest.

I actually do think there’s something there with him and given time, along with the correct next job choice, he’ll turn into a decent prem manager in my opinion.

I highly doubt we’d be seeing the likes of Mount and James excel and develop if lampard wasn’t in charge. Yes Tuchel won the champions league and that doesn't reflect good on Frank at all, but I do believe he deserves some credit for the overall job he did. That’s the way I see it anyway looking in. Could be wrong on a lot of things and I’m sure Chelsea fans will correct me if so.

P.S. Greeting by the way lads, been a member for a long time but only posted at the beginning. Still read though and thought I’d jump back on to actually posting. Planning to stick with it as I’m enjoying it so far!

Gal_P likes this.
  15. David

David Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea
    It is a weird one because even in hindsight you couldn’t tell him not to leave Derby for Chelsea and Chelsea weren’t really in a position to bring a top manager on after going through Conte and Sarri in consecutive summers even though they both won something.

I do think it’s been documented that the majority of the signings were Lampard’s but it seemed easier for him when he had fewer options in a way. He was never able to sort things out defensively and never really found the right attack, which weirdly enough felt like it dropped off from the year before despite the investment. I’d like to see him go back to a Championship side and fine tune his skills because I do think he could succeed. He’s 42 and despite getting sacked, he’s learned a lot from the two different years at Chelsea and his time with Derby. Loaning out another academy player or two to him in the Championship would be tremendous for Chelsea IMO

16. Gal_P

Gal_P The Special One

Supports:
    Chelsea
  17. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip
    Great news.

gate17 likes this.
  18. Pagnell

Pagnell MISERABLE C**T

Supports:
    FSG F**KING OFF
    So that's United not winning anything until at least 2025.

19. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    He was one penalty shootout away from winning something he said the squad is close to how he wants it I'd be shocked if United don't win a trophy in the coming season never mind over 4 years time

20. Rambo1

Rambo1 Registered User

Supports:
    Hibernian
    He was a penalty shootout away from winning a competition they only entered because they didn't make it out of their Champions League Group.

With all due respect, they've been miles away from winning the Champions League and if they find themselves in the Europa again this season serious questions should be asked..