1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

How long has Ole got

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by gate17, Sep 22, 2019.

1. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Such is the wonderful world of football that if/when fans do question the direction Ole is or can take us, you get the arguments of 2nd in league, taken you to a final, what do you want?, boo hoo, big 6 are spoiled, etc.

Its certainly a fine balance to be correct on the subject :laugh:

For whats it worth, I have said before, he has done a great job in steadying the ship, shown progression year on year and definitely has us on a more even keel, Trouble is I don't personally believe he is the guy to take us to the next stage. But ironically he won't be sacked until he fails to get CL qualification and then we would be in an obviously worse position and a new manager would start all over again.

StretfordEnd, upper90 and Rambo1 like this.
  2. Rambo1

Rambo1 Registered User

Supports:
    Hibernian
    Agree with all of that. I think he's done a good job overall but it's a bit of a stretch using the Europa League final as a positive when discussing Man Utd competing for major trophies in the near future especially as - A) You should really be winning that match and B) you shouldn't be there in the first place and only got there due to an abysmal Champions League campaign. If you win it then absolutely - it's an achievement. It's not a huge achievement getting to the final and then losing it given your squad and your route there.

One thing I'm certain of though is that he needs to be challenging for major trophies now. If you find yourselves in the Europa again it means you've not made it out of the Champions League group for the second year running. He's been backed (contrary to what some people argue) and now needs to back that up with being in contention for the major trophies. League titles, Champions Leagues and FA Cups.

The Doc likes this.
  3. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Imo, given i think City will again dominate and LFC won't be anywhere near as woeful as they were for huge chunks of last season, you maybe right and his performance in the CL will be a better metric to judge him on. Pointless qualifying for it year on year then limping out, were not ****ing Arsenal:laugh:

4. Rambo1

Rambo1 Registered User

Supports:
    Hibernian
    The league will certainly be tough. All of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd should be aiming for a serious title challenge.

I don't expect them all to as history shows there's very rarely, if ever a 4 horse race. But the difference between the 4 managers is that Klopp, Pep and to a lesser extent Tuchel have all shown they can win the major trophies. Particularly Klopp and Pep have built up a huge amount of goodwill with the fans and board that it's very unlikely they'll lose their job if they don't challenge as they've shown they can.

Ole doesn't have that luxury.

The Doc likes this.
  5. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Genuinely not sure Ole would be sacked as long as he secures top 4....oh **** me we are Arsenal:(

King_Kenny, gate17, upper90 and 2 others like this.
  6. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    United were in one of the hardest groups of the Cash Cup, and having won away at PSG and hammered Leipzig 5 - 0 at home looked almost home and hosed. That for me is where Solskjaer failed the club, a catastrophic defeat in Turkey turned the group on its head and subsequent results sealed the drop into the Europa League, where again everything looked set for success until Solskjaer's cluelessness threw a winnable Final away.

So whilst I'd love him to be successful, and I can't think of another candidate anyway, like @The Doc I have grave doubts about his ability to get United back on the trophy winning trail.

Rambo1 likes this.
  7. Rambo1

Rambo1 Registered User

Supports:
    Hibernian
    Again, I can't disagree with any of that.

It was a difficult group as you say with 1 top side and a good side. But you were in a position where you only needed 1 point from the final 2 games I believe with Leipzig and PSG to play and lost both. That's just from memory so may be wrong. As you say the defeat in Turkey really piled the pressure on and you ended up going into the Europa.

Whilst Leipzig are a good side they were then comfortably dealt with home and away by a struggling Liverpool team.

Didn't you play a back 5 in the final game against Leipzig? I just remember AWB looking entirely lost at RWB and kept coming in central meaning Angelino had the whole left hand side to himself and lead to two of the goals.

#427 Rambo1, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    StretfordEnd likes this.
  8. UnitedRoad

UnitedRoad 32 Years : F*** All

Supports:
    -
    3rd most points since he’s arrived, plays youth, “gets” the club and I still get that :cool: feeling whenever I see him leading us out.

Good job so far but pressure on now, has to win something or a proper title challenge.

#428 UnitedRoad, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Rambo1 likes this.
  9. Rambo1

Rambo1 Registered User

Supports:
    Hibernian
    Agree with that.

Has done well so far, stabilised the club but it's now time to make the next step.

10. Frosty

Frosty Champions Of Europe

Supports:
    Liverpool
    And with the signings that he has made, now is the time that it really counts.

11. King_Kenny

King_Kenny JUSTICE FOR THE 97!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I'm personally chuffed he'll be there for a long time. Whilst I wouldnt say he's a disaster, he's an ok manager, but I doubt very much he is capable of taking them back to where they should be, regular title winners, CL winners, etc

Would hate to see United, with their resources, going out and getting an elite manager.

12. Empress Touch

Empress Touch Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Bruno Fernandes' signing
    and the 1-3 2018-19 Last 16 win in Paris
    has kept one of the best strikers ever to play in the UK in his job - for now, at least.

Man Utd remain one of the world's best teams in terms of individual dribbling and team passing,
    but that off-side trap - so ruthlessly exposed by Ancelotti last February - must improve.

The Everton @ Old Trafford rematch in the first week of October is a must-watch for everyone.

13. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
  14. njmcfc1894

njmcfc1894 Registered User

Supports:
    manchester city
    Yep the big one

15. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Surely Everton is the game everyone checks their calendar for when the fixtures come out? :roflmao

RedDogChris and njmcfc1894 like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Formerly Manutdlegend

Supports:
    Manchester United
    As has been said he’s steadied the ship and the football is reasonably okay to watch. Much better than the rubbish we’ve had to endure since Fergie left anyway.

If he struggles this season fans will turn after the signing Sancho and looking like Varane aswell as.

He reminds me of Southgate in that he seems to nice to be a manager.

17. Silver Red

Silver Red Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United Football Club
    My worry is he'll be who we go for, when Ole inevitably gets sacked.

18. njmcfc1894

njmcfc1894 Registered User

Supports:
    manchester city
    Yep back in 1980s

Silver Red likes this.
  19. Pagnell

Pagnell MISERABLE C**T

Supports:
    FSG F**KING OFF
    Spend since Solksjaer became United manager.

Manchester United (£390m)
    Manchester City (£298m)
    Chelsea (£262m)
    Tottenham (£255m)
    Arsenal (£243m)
    Liverpool (£119m)

He really needs to deliver something this season or surely he needs to be out and the fans will start to turn. Top 4 will be enough to keep him in the job though, I suspect.

20. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Wasn't there a game in the CL group's where Solksjaer left Fred on into the second when he was on a yellow and clearly on course for a red, and then he got it?

That sort of stuff is what shows he is out of his depth and can only take the team so far. If he cannot get United through another group stage then the club should really be looking elsewhere.

Basic stuff that most people could see, and he ducked the decision. It'll cost you at a certain level.

upper90 likes this.