1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make the draft section great again?

Discussion in 'Football Draft Forum' started by Andy-gers1, May 21, 2019.

1. Andy-gers1

Andy-gers1 Mike <3 Shane
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    I would love this section to kick off again. It used to be one of my favourite forum but recently it has dipped slightly.

Any ideas on how to make it more interesting, let us know.

2. borobob

borobob Registered User

Don't have a daft starting before another has finished, maybe have 1 a month.

kaboose, Berbasloth9 and Andy-gers1 like this.
  3. Andy-gers1

Andy-gers1 Mike <3 Shane
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    Good shout.

4. Steve - Wfc

Steve - Wfc Registered User

Supports:
    Watford
    Every draft ends up with the same players being picked which ultimately has become boring.

Need player pools from lower divisions, or narrow it down so you dont have the usual fight to get Rijkaard, Matthaus and Platini etc. in CM.

Thats why I have stopped playing at least.

AlissonWonderland likes this.
  5. The Doc

The Doc #freegabrielheinze

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Re introduce Tournament as some newer posters haven't been in one.

Re visit the very earlier drafts as the players available will have changed.

Changing player pools is fine but people have to have a knowledge of them as voting is then both difficult and farcical.

This is why we rarely do lower divisions, etc.

6. Andy-gers1

Andy-gers1 Mike <3 Shane
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    Yeah i get that. A draft with being able to draft Scottish players from the past would be ideal, along with players that played on Ligue 1 in France etc.

7. Andy-gers1

Andy-gers1 Mike <3 Shane
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Rangers
    The biggest issue for me is the waiting around for ages for a pick, especially when it gets to the end.

Also, recently i have felt some of the drafts have been far too complicated and impossible to research.

We should revisit the drafts from the beginning.. considering we have new participants, which should be good.

8. Poet Gooner

Poet Gooner Whomever I draft will be underrated

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I'd agree. However, there are two things to keep in mind:

1) It takes a lot of effort to play with lesser known players. Like, we could do an all-time Championship/Div.2 draft, but the amount of effort that's required to draft and vote makes it less appealing.

2) On the same note, a lot of people have expressed their unhappiness with the voting of lesser known players. I remember Odiseo being quite unhappy that players that he thought were very good and rated highly within a specific context (say someone who did really well in the 1960s for a Copa America draft) were overlooked for more well-known names.

9. Steve - Wfc

Steve - Wfc Registered User

Supports:
    Watford
    Tbf you point on Odiseo raises another good point. I think certain people take drafting too seriously :D

The Doc and Andy-gers1 like this.
  10. prolifik

prolifik Daniel James >>>

Supports:
    Manchester United
    The problem is, it can be a ****ing nightmare to find footage of some of these players (if it even exists), so you're basically forced to decide which second- or third-hand sources you want to trust on their ability, style of play, etc. And this is true even for some of the guys that are picked regularly. Even Odiseo can't possibly know exactly how good someone like Jose Leandro Andrade really was unless he has a time machine handy.

What I will say is, we should be able to find ways to bring in more contemporary players who aren't the usual suspects. Something as simple as this game where you could only pick players born in the 50s and 60s brought in a lot of quality players that we should be better able to judge.

It's these open-ended, no restriction games that I've grown to find pretty tedious. Over the last couple of years I found myself taking long breaks from this forum because it felt like we were just find different ways to draft the same old favourites, and the judging just boiled down to personal preference on specific players. The best games for me are the ones that have a good mix of familiar and less popular names, as well as a decent amount of strategy involved.

Andy-gers1 likes this.
  11. Tony_Adams

Tony_Adams Mr Arsenal

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Missed this thread, i'm still loving the drafts

12. Poet Gooner

Poet Gooner Whomever I draft will be underrated

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I agree. I think the key is to keep the talent pool reasonable. Allow people to pick up a couple big names each, and then force them to pick up less popular but well-known players.

13. Berbasloth9

Berbasloth9 Registered User

Supports:
    Man united
    there was too much of an overload there for a while.

I found in a couple of the drafts when people where picking players I havent heard of i couldnt vote for them because I couldnt find enough footage of them to make an honest opinion.

I like the idea of a tournament and debating in your teams favour.. you get 24 hours before votes are made then maybe get to draft a player from the team you beat

14. Panja

Panja In a land down under

Supports:
    BCFC, you know, the one in Birmingham
  15. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    We should do a draft where we ban five players each, to diversify the pool we can pick from. So the usual suspects would be banned and then we could add on criteria to make it that little bit more diverse.

#15 Minty, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  16. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
  17. Berbasloth9

Berbasloth9 Registered User

Supports:
    Man united
    play for money lol

18. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    For me, I just don't have as much time and tbh i'm the opposite of some. I don't really find it appealing drafting shite players or doing a huge amount of research to find some division 2 player I've barely heard of.

I prefer drafting the 'same old favorites' which is why I like the categories draft as you still get to pick good players and build a top team but there's a bit of work needed to get around the restrictions.

Minty likes this.
  19. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    Good point, well made.

Shane likes this.
  20. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    Two examples.

I remember when me and Bob were trying to link players in Brazil and it was a nightmare. I remember reading some sites that were only in Portuguese just to find a team-sheet for a game Garrincha played in to see if he played with the other player. We managed to find a link and it took us about 2 hours of solid research and I must've had about 10 tabs open. When we found the link it was such a great feeling! :laugh:

We had to do some research to find a lesser known player and I just couldn't give a **** and we just settled on the first player we found. That's the difference for me.

Minty likes this.