1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello Guest. We'd appreciate your feedback on some proposed changes we have in mind for the Championship, League One and League Two forums. Please take a moment to read the proposals, and make your comments here: Clicky Clicky
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hello Guest. Please take a look at the following thread, and if at all possible donate a little to help our mutual friend Hazza at a very tough time:Clicky Clicky
    Dismiss Notice

How will President Obama be remembered?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by ccfctommy, Nov 28, 2016.

1. ccfctommy

ccfctommy Basket Case Club

Supports:
    Coventry City, Rangers
    After the maximum 8 years in office, Barack Obama is coming to the end of his presidency. How will Barry O be remembered in years to come? What will his legacy be? Obamacare?

2. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress He's super strong, and super naked!

Supports:
    Manchester United
    If you look at it without bias, he was great. Obamacare is one of the best things any president has done in my time. Unfortunately rich people have vilified him for trying to help those who cannot afford it.

3. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja Needs a New Username badly

Supports:
    Manchester United
    ****ing dreadful with regards to his actions with the Internet alone, let alone all the other shit he's pulled.

4. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Decent and dignified but unfulfilled promise. Partly obstacles outside of his control and perhaps being too ambitious to begin with. About what you'd expect given the state of Congress.

A massive improvement on Bush in terms of the damage he's done to the country. Just not able to really undo many of the last administrations failings.

Historically he'd probably be in the top half of the pack, but still middling.

5. Faustus

Faustus Moderate Extremist.

Supports:
    MK Dons
    As a popular President of a good character without any scandals, but a relative failure. Obamacare is the only real legacy history will remember him for. His weak foreign policy, failure to deliver any significant change and failure to prevent the polarisation of politics and society all stop him from being a good President. The Republican held Congress hold some blame for paralysing his Presidency, but they can't be blamed for things like his foreign policy. It's a reminder for future generations that great activists don't necessary make great leaders once in office. Still, he's not a bad President, but then he's not a good one either, it's still a noticeable improvement on Bush Jr. who was one of the worst Presidents in US history.

6. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC Covfefe Expert

Supports:
    USA
    Someone who did as much as he could despite a legislature that worked actively against him.

Certainly has had some great moments in Bin Laden, Gay Marriage, putting healthcare as a priority.

Then he's also missed the mark big time on things like Guantanamo, gun control, and TPP.

Others will be debated, such as the bailouts and how he's handled the middle east.

We can, have, and voted in much worse.

Tshabs likes this.
  7. Tshabs

Tshabs No odds, no points

Supports:
    West Ham
    :laugh:

8. Hayvek

Hayvek Posh Exile

Supports:
    Peterborough United
    Out of interest, is there anything in particular that you think he could have done more on with regards to gun control?

9. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC Covfefe Expert

Supports:
    USA
    I don't think so outside of an executive order, since the hose and senate would never let anything pass through anyway.

10. Faustus

Supports:
    MK Dons
    I don't think he should have even touched gun control as an issue, it's in part why conservatives have been so aggressive during his presidency. If he'd dropped the issue I doubt his conservative critics would have been so vocal or disruptive. If he'd gone through his programme one issue at a time he could have gotten some it past them, but tried to force them all at once and provoked the reaction he got.

11. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    If his health care bill gets repealed then that's not much of a legacy.

He had no chance with gun control in congress.

He's been an average president who hasn't been able to change the system or usher in the change and hope that he promised 8 years ago.

His legacy is Donald Trump basically.

12. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC Covfefe Expert

Supports:
    USA
    His supporters will always overstate his achievements, while his detractors will always overstate his failures.

I would say my family and I are at a better position than we were close to the end of the Bush years, so Obama is alright with me.

Adam likes this.
  13. Faustus

Supports:
    MK Dons
    I'm a detractor, but I still think Obamacare is a major achievement on the road to single-payer healthcare or national health insurance. It just needs some changing to work properly, but hopefully Trump doesn't fully scrap it and it becomes a stepping stone to either of those above outcomes.

14. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I don't think we can ignore or forget the shocking inheritance he received. It seems from what I've heard and seen in documentaries on his early days in the WH that he like many, underestimated the sheer enormity of the economic calamity the country was facing. It instantly derailed a lot of what he wanted to do early doors when he had the best chance of doing what he wanted.

In relatively normal times he may well have achieved more than he did.

Guantanamo is a stain on his presidency, but I sympathise in one respect. The problem with closing it is that many of those being held probably are guilty, but because they were tortured their convictions could not possibly be safe, yet releasing them would likely result in them going off to Iraq or Syria or wherever else to cause trouble. It's a catch-22 and it's again partly to do with the inheritance of Bush. If the inmates were released and then 6 months later one of them killed X number of Americans abroad, it'd be ruinous.

Where do you send these people now? Foreign countries might not want them, perhaps the countries they'd be sent to would then torture them, how could that be defended? It's an absolute clusterf**k and I suspect Obama had every desire to close it, but once in power realised it's far easier to promise something than it is to deliver.

Marty_LFC likes this.
  15. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC Covfefe Expert

Supports:
    USA
    He's had to clean up a lot of the crap that was left for him, particularly making the call on the bailouts, a growing debt, 2 wars, etc. It's not as if he was primed to suddenly implement magical policies. Anyone who voted for him thinking that, then complains about him that is naive at best.

That's why I'm critical of him in some aspects, in that he never was able to take advantage of the democratic majority early on as they tried to make nice with Republicans, which led to them losing both houses and much of the power they had. He was still able to either pave the way or implement things that have certainly either improved the lives of many of those burnt under the Bush administration or the economic collapse. There are obviously more factors that come in, and there are obviously plenty still struggling, but he would not have so easily taken a second term nor would he have a decent approval rating as he leaves office if he were such a disaster. He averages just around 51-55% approval, which I think is a fair measure of his presidency. By no means an FDR or Lincoln, but certainly did more good than bad. Considering how the cards were stacked against him, he did fine.

16. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Put it this way he's the best human being to be President for at least a couple of decades and although less effective in many respects, perhaps the best President for about as long as well. It might not be a very, very high bar, but I think it's respectable.

The Doc, Jonny Ninja and Marty_LFC like this.
  17. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC Covfefe Expert

Supports:
    USA
    Compared to the two who hoped to be successors that have buried the bar in a ditch, I've said it before, but I'd rather have 4-8 more Obama years.

18. Person

Person Even angels need angels, Max

Supports:
    West Ham, Ross County
    A president who inspired many, but will ultimately be considered wasted promise with the senate and congress blocking him at every turn.

19. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Bush was an absolute disaster for America, both domestically and abroad. Following the total mess Obama inherited at home with the economy and abroad with Bush's shocking foreign policy disasters was never going to be ideal.

Republicans complaining about Obama should look closer to home. He did however over promise and under deliver.

Marty_LFC likes this.
  20. Mr Noughthing

Mr Noughthing Registered User

Supports:
    The reds
    Up there with JFK as the greatest president the United State has ever had, sadly hindered by the length of term in office and forever tarnished by being around during the period of post truth politics.

Jonny Ninja likes this.