1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hull City v Sheffield Wednesday

Discussion in 'Championship' started by Tigerferry, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Tigerferry

Tigerferry Hull City is our name

Supports:
    Hull City
    Would have been a fun time had Bruce showed up but he decided to go on holiday first.

Not sure what to expect here. If Luhukay was still there I'd be confident in a home win given our form, but they seem to have improved albeit slightly without him. I expect them to be difficult to break down which may be a hurdle for us. Unlike Bolton they actually have the quality to effectively do that and threaten on the counter.

I wouldn't be surprised if our good form in the league ended here but anything less than a point would be a disappointment.

#1 Tigerferry, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  2. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    This has 0-0 written all over it surely

3. Tigerferry

Supports:
    Hull City
    Men vs boys out there. Wednesday were bloody awful. And I actually thought for a moment it would be one of those days before the first goal.

Another dominant win. Could have been more. This team are only getting better by the week.

4. jhe10

jhe10 Registered User

Supports:
    Hull City AFC
    When I saw the Wednesday line-up, I thought they had some good players in there. None of them played like it, they were worse than Bolton and only poor finishing and Grosicki's final ball being a bit wayward stopped it being another 6-0. I'd heard a lot about Adam Reach as the next big thing, dear me. He's like a cross between Glenn Hoddle and someone who can't play football.

5. Owl1969

Owl1969 Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Not been, but heard we were lucky to get nil. Think you can make the playoffs?

6. Trent Mist

Trent Mist Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    I think I'm right in saying your last league defeat was against us?

edit... Just had a nosey at your recent results. What an absolute outstanding turnaround.

Funny old game.

#6 Trent Mist, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  7. jhe10

jhe10 Registered User

Supports:
    Hull City AFC
    Like most City fans, I've been doubting we can maingtain the run and make the play offs but they keep proving us wrong. We're not world beaters, but we've got decent players, high in confidence and well-organised and coached. We've benefited fron the return from injury of Evandro (and Toral as back-up) but most of all from the way Adkins and his team have coached form and confidence back into players who looked completely out of their depth (de Wijs, Stewart), uninterested (Grosicki), or low on confidence or experience (Henricksen, Burke, Kane). We could make the playoffs, but I'd still say less than 50-50 chance.

Tigerferry likes this.
  8. Tigerferry

Supports:
    Hull City
    Still think our lack of depth will cost us, and if we lose Bowen this window that will be difficult to replace. We'll be hoping his replacement or Toral can contribute roughly the same as he is.

Grosicki is playing like he should. Last season was a frustrating experience with him clearly thinking this division was beneath him. He is finally motivated and his talent is showing.

Kevin Stewart looked like a League Two player just a few months ago. Outstanding turnaround by him. Credit to Batty as well who has handled the step-up really well.

Get a forward, get Bowen to stay, no injury to Irvine at the Asian Cup, and an extra defender, and if by February all of these happen and we're still within distance/in the play offs I'll start believing.

#8 Tigerferry, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. SWFC 66

SWFC 66 Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield Wednesday
    That Bowen looks quite a player, keep him and you could potentially think playoffs. We just back to our bloody awful self again.

10. Milk

Milk Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United
    Poor old Wednesday.

ShorhamBlade likes this.
  11. ShorhamBlade

ShorhamBlade Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United
    There was much mirth on the Shoreham street kop yesterday as those Hull goals went in.

" this city is ours " LOL

12. ShorhamBlade

ShorhamBlade Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United

Terrible innit ?

13. SWFC 66

SWFC 66 Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Enjoy it whilst it lasts boys......

14. Milk

Milk Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United
    It's been lasting a long time mate.

We've been better than you since we embarrassed you at Hillsborough two Septembers ago.

:therethere

15. SWFC 66

SWFC 66 Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield Wednesday
    I had noticed.......:laugh:

Sheffsteel likes this.
  16. Sheffsteel

Sheffsteel Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United
    What Wilder has done at SU is simply astounding, surely he can’t keep it up?

In the past Bassett and Warnock had success but that was by motivating the players to give 110%.
    We were physical and would out battle the opposition playing direct high tempo “up and at em” percentage football. There tended to be plenty of goal mouth action so at times was entertaining but sometimes the football under these 2 managers was dire.

This Wilder team is totally different. We actually pass the ball around for fun, if anything we over pass, we generally have long spells of control home and away playing high quality football. Opposition fans always say how their team had one of their worse performances of the season against us, that’s because our possession football takes the game away from the opposition who are forced to defend.

It seems impossible that ordinary to good individual players can regularly perform like high quality players in a team unit where everyone knows their job. As Colin Murray said the other week

“Chris Wilder isn’t just turning water into wine, he’s turning water into champagne”.

Edit: Don’t want to come across like i’m boasting because I’m fully aware that fortunes and form can quickly change but you have to enjoy the good times as we’ve recently had a depressing 6 years in league 1 (the worse spell in our entire history).

#16 Sheffsteel, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    SWFC 66 likes this.
  17. SWFC 66

SWFC 66 Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Though it pains me to say I have to agree he has done an excellent job with your lot. The only problem I can see (hope!!) is replacing Billy Sharp when age finally catces up with him although knowing my luck he'll keep going til he's 40 !!:laugh:. If you can stay in the play offs then one season in the premiership can make all the difference...Burnley for example. Anyway enough being sensible from me, I still hate you lot :bye

Sheffsteel likes this.