1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you could change one result from your clubs history...

Discussion in 'Championship' started by tiltontrev, Nov 4, 2019.

1. tiltontrev

tiltontrev Registered User

Supports:
    Small Heath Alliance
    ...what would it be?

Seen this being discussed on another forum, be interested to see what people come up with, it’s not always the obvious result against a rival or a relegation decider etc that crop up, sometimes a random game that meant something acutely to you.

The game that immediately jumped to my mind was the 6th round FA Cup game against Pompey in 2010, great draw for a chance to get through to the FA Cup semis for the first time in my life and see Blues play at the [new] Wembley. At the time Villa were also in the hat with the potential of setting up a semi final against them at Wembley for a day that’d go down in history.

It was toward the early days of Pompey being in a financial mess, a perfect time to play them, we went down there full of it and completely rolled over with the most meek of performances, absolutely gutted walking out the ground. Made worse we played them again three days later and walked all over them.

As a bit of a traditionalist I’d love to see us in an FA Cup final, to get so close and throw it away was sickening.

Stan_Drews likes this.
  2. JJH.

JJH. Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City
    In my lifetime I'd have to say that Hull PO final in 2008.

That said, I don't know how the club would have turned out. Modern football is sanitised enough in the lower leagues let alone the top flight. My fear is that we would've just become a mundane middling Premier League club and bore the hardcore element away from Ashton Gate.

At the time I'd have loved to see us in the PL though. Nowadays I'm not so arsed.

JoshBCFC, Rocky Balboa and tiltontrev like this.
  3. Bobbin’

Bobbin’ Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    I’ve been quite fortunate, usually if we need to win to survive/get promotion in a one off game, invariably we do. Think we’ve been involved in 3 play-off finals (old and new format) and won them all.

So mine is actually near identical to Trev’s. Away to Bolton in an FA cup quarter final in 2000, lost 1-0. They went on to lose to Villa on penalties at Wembley in the semi. We were miles clear at the top of division one and I genuinely believe we could have beaten Villa. Went to Bolton again the following week and beat them 2-0, completing the league double over them. We won the league comfortably and were promoted so would have happily have swapped one of those league wins to have reached the FA Cup semi.

Slightly smaller scale, but in the same season. Forest away in 2000. If we won and Barnsley didn’t, we were promoted. The club laid on free travel and we had about 5000 there. Barnsley failed to win and we only drew 1-1. We were promoted anyway a couple of weeks later but always been disappointed that it wasn’t that day in front of such a big away following.

4. tiltontrev

tiltontrev Registered User

Supports:
    Small Heath Alliance
    A good point, kind of rings true with us, I’d say we’ve only really got back to our hardcore of ‘proper’ fans in the last 3/4 years, a lot of older fans walked away during the Prem years and have never returned, my old man took me to every game home and away throughout all of my youth, season ticket holder of 30+ years, he stopped going during the Prem days saying why would I want to come and watch us desperately try to finish fourth bottom year in year out? He’s never returned to this day, Sits in the boozer playing cards with his mates on a Saturday now, barely noticing the Blues result.

JJH. likes this.
  5. Stan_Drews

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Remember that well, the baldy bar steward linesman disallowed a good goal from Ridgewell. Everyone wanted vi*la in the semi, it was all we were talking about but as usual we facked it up.

Went to the midweek game and everyone was on a right downer

tiltontrev likes this.
  6. Rocky Balboa

Rocky Balboa Eastend, Bounce Around!

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    I was 26 at the time of that game, I went to the majority of away games back then and it would of meant everything to me to of won and gone and had a season in The PL. Now, I watch The PL, yesterday’s game at Goodison Park being a prime example, and find the fiasco of VAR, games stopping and starting, and I’m perfectly happy to be where we are at the moment.

JJH. likes this.
  7. Madejski

Madejski Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Struggling to think, as we’ve lost plenty of big games with our terrible playoff record etc but later led us on to achieve better. Like had we got promoted to the Prem before would we ever had enjoyed the 106 season.

I’ll probably go with the FA Cup SF that we lost in extra time to Arsenal in 2015, just so we could experience a proper cup final. Probably would have had half a chance in the final against Villa too.

Would also be interesting to change the result of the 1995 play-off final which we (somehow) lost to Bolton. Elm Park at its dilapidated worst as a Premier League ground.

8. Maple Triangle

Maple Triangle Registered User

Supports:
    Luton
    A lot to choose from. Tempted to choose our last day defeat at Notts County in 1992 resulting in relegation from the top flight and missing out on being in the Premier league in its first season. However we played shite and deserved relegation.The FA cup semi in 1985 v Everton is the one result I'd like to change. We outplayed an Everton team who were Champions at the time. A bad decision by the ref in the 85th minute allowed Everton to equalise and they duly got the winner in extra time. So cruel. We looked so comfortable that most of us were already planning the fa cup final trip. Never felt so gutted after a game and while the club has suffered worst days this result still gives those Luton fans that were there that day nightmares.

9. Riverside

Riverside Registered User

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    Fookin Preston again.

0-0 2nd May 1925. If we’d have scored the penalty we would have been League Champions.

TomPNE94 and JoshBCFC like this.
  10. maybee

maybee Registered User

Supports:
    brentford
    Easy one for me, id love to change ... 18th march 1989 .. FA Cup round 6
    Liverpool away
    we had a great chance to take the lead , through a one on one with the keeper , but just went wide of the post
    we were well beaten 4 - 0 on the day
    but the main reason I wish we had won that day , because in the next round ( Quarter final ) Liverpool went to Hillsborough
    the rest is history
    Im sure with our smaller numbers of support it would never of happened :(

God bless !

Burg, paddock, JoshBCFC and 6 others like this.
  11. Bobbin’

Bobbin’ Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    I was a Bristol City fan that day myself, was so chuffed that you had beaten Palace, wanted you to go all the way.

Rocky Balboa and JJH. like this.
  12. Rubadub

Rubadub Registered User

Supports:
    Preston North End
    The 1-0 loss to West Ham in the 2005 Play Off Final...that one came to mind within a second of reading the title of the thread. Went with the family, Mum and Dad made a weekend of it in Cardiff.

We'd beaten them twice during the season, and Billy Davies had built on the solid team that Craig Brown had put together. Our team had some of the best players I've seen play for us, Brian O'Neil, Eddie Lewis, Youl Mawene, Carlo Nash...it was a great team in it's day. We were well beaten by Bolton the previous time we reached the PO Final, but this time it felt different, it was our time to reach the top tier for the first time in almost 50 years. A few of my neutral mates came with me, all backing Preston. I think we were the better team on the day too (rose tinted glasses perhaps), but it wasn't to be. A West Ham break down the left, the ball into the box, the slip by Claude Davis and Bobby Zamora in acres of space to easily slot home. That split second when the ball hit the net, before the opposition fans started to celebrate is a moment I'll never forget...sickening. I remember their keeper Jimmy Walker came racing out of his box towards the end, beat our striker to a high ball but handled outside the area. I was screaming for a red card completely oblivious to the fact that he was seriously injured. That was the last bit of the game I remember. The rest was just a blur getting back to the hotel and home the next day.

I was 16 at the time. Still hurts. Dad told me that we'd make it one day. 14 years and counting.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

McKenna's Wand and tiltontrev like this.
  13. Villa Rocker

Villa Rocker Registered User

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Mine is a recent ish one. Arsenal in the fa cup final. We beat Liverpool in the semis and we all thought it was our year. Absolutely gutted with the result and no show of a performance. 1958 and still waiting.

14. Stan_Drews

Supports:
    Birmingham City
  15. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    No doubt for me.

2006 UEFA cup final.

16. Bobbin’

Bobbin’ Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    That was a proper mauling, wasn’t it?

What round did you make that ridiculous comeback, against Bucharest I think it was. Macaroni whatever his name was scored.

Quarter or semi final?

17. Wolves n Proud

Wolves n Proud Registered User

Supports:
    Wolves
    FA Cup semi final against the first great Wenger Arsenal side in 1998. We lost 1-0 and it was boys against men. No complaints.

The other semi was lower mid table Newcastle against Sheffield United so you'd have fancied yourselves in the final. Especially when we had a match winner in Robbie Keane in our XI.

18. JJH.

JJH. Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City
    Villa Rocker and Bobbin’ like this.
  19. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Difficult one for me as i just missed out on the play off season. Derby last season is a definite contender, but I think it has to be Man City in the cup. Getting to the final of the League Cup would've been incredible

20. HPC2

HPC2 29 years and counting

Supports:
    Scunthorpe United
    The play-off semi final defeat against Rotherham, started our downward spiral.