1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intimidating football grounds

Discussion in 'Championship' started by Stan_Drews, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Stan_Drews

Stan_Drews Registered User

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Post on twitter asking folk what is the most intimidating ground they have been to.

Seems Blues are mentioned by many which surprised me really. Must be referring to times gone by. I see away fans in a lot of home pubs at ours and getting a good friendly welcome. The only time I see any ag is if a crew turn up giving it the big un.

I’d say we are one of the friendliest away trips theses days.

[twitter.com]

2. KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    I've been to a good number of grounds in the top 2 divisions and I'm struggling to remember any particularly hostile ones. I think modern football fans are more into checking their bets and other scores on their phone every 5 minutes or drinking bovril.

Easie and SamB_SCFC like this.
  3. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Always loved Upton Park............but by a long way the only place i feared for my safety was Ayresome park, they were like Gorillas

#3 johnnyT, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    FranniesTache likes this.
  4. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Nowadays maybe Millwall and Leeds top two divisions if they're up for it.

5. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Registered User

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    We went to Middlesbrough to watch Posh last Saturday & Bulgarian from work came with us his 2nd away day after Coventry earlier in the season & he commented on how strange it was to see home & away supporters mingling before & after the game & that this wouldn't happen in his own country.

6. Taybren

Taybren Registered User

Supports:
    Brentford
    I think we win most friendliest away game most pubs Is always a win..

7. Wycombe Royal

Wycombe Royal Waskly Wabbit

Supports:
    Reading
    The Madejski obviously.....

8. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Yeah, the balkans do take their football very seriously.

9. Delilah

Delilah Mr Bojan-goals
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Stoke City & England
    They are nothing but a bunch of racist c***s in that part of the world. I was there when England played Bulgaria in 2011. I can still hear those mother****ers now monkey chanting the black English players :angryfire:angryfire

Sorry for language but still makes me angry to this day

FranniesTache likes this.
  10. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Registered User

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    Because they don't throw banana skins on pitches , or there isn't any anti semitic or sectarian chanting in UK football these days, it's clean as a whistle yeah , kettle black, excuse the pun.

11. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Silly comment. They're very much isolated incidents from stupid individuals or small groups of people. What goes on in Eastern Europe is very much a majority thing with whole stadiums shouting abuse. Whilst we aren't 100% clean in this country and there are probably a higher number than we'd like who silently think racist thoughts, we're a long, long way away from the mass money noises and racist chants that are still common in many parts of Eastern Europe.

12. borobob

borobob Registered User

Seen many an away fan suffer going down Linthorpe Road, there just wasn't anywhere safe for away fans no such thing as an away pub in those days.

Old codger likes this.
  13. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Cup replays in the 80s was only young **** me, shit myself.

14. borobob

borobob Registered User

If that was a night match they were even worse.

15. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    It was

16. Wolves n Proud

Wolves n Proud Registered User

Supports:
    Wolves
    Your place in 2000 was tasty for a then 15 year old.

Middle of the Rover protests and it'd gone right off on Moseley Road before the game. We lost the game 1-0 with Keith Curle missing a penalty for us, outside was bedlam. Bricks and everything else coming over the fence. Felt like the city of Birmingham was taking its frustration out on anything Wolves that day.

Maine Road was always a nightmare, ****ing Moss Side! Elland Road in '98 after a cup quarter we won was evil too.

17. HPC2

HPC2 And after all, we've got Stuart McCall

Supports:
    Scunthorpe United
    Saltergate and Millmoor, both no longer with us. Mainly because of the idiots outside of both.

18. Tigerferry

Tigerferry Hull City is our name

Supports:
    Hull City
    That and when you are getting spanked by the home side apparently...

19. Owl1969

Owl1969 Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Even back in the late 80s and early 90s only really felt anything like intimated at

Ayresome Park
    (inside the ground a few were trying to climb the fence into the little away corner, I remember 1 of em not being deterred by the police Dog chomping on his leg)

The Old Den
    (more on their reputation and a bit of a dodgy walk to our bus, which being the only double decker couldn't get in the car park and was the other side of the Bridge).

Old Trafford
    after a league Cup semi final when our fans had being singing the dam busters tune, (started out in relation to our European games against Kaiserslautern of Germany but the reaction from the Man Utd fans just encouraged our lot to sing it more)
    The coppers initially opened the away end and let about 800 Wednesday fans out into a baying mob of about 3k Man Utd, they then locked the other 9k Owls inside the ground, whilst the Wednesday fans outside (including Women &kids) took a hiding. None of your "lads only" that day anyone was a target.
    Not afraid to admit, that although I was with a coachful of "handy" lads the walk back to the coach with just 2 of my mates was easily the most scared I've been at football.

Home Park
    Yes, that right, Plymouth for a night game, was a bit hostile, looking back it was probably only handbags, but as I'd gone with my then girlfriend and it was pitch black it felt hostile. Probably normally wouldn't have thought anything about it but didn't want her getting hurt.

Nowadays
    Only place that is Hostile is Bramall Lane, and that's only cus it's us.
    If you don't want bother nowadays use a bit of common sense and you won't get any.

Been in a few less than welcoming pubs in my time though, but even that is much better nowadays.

Edit
    Hillsborough itself is normally a friendly awayday but I'm pretty certain plenty of Palace fans found it hostile when they sent us down in 2010.
    Bother on the pitch after the game, then thousands waiting outside the away end afterwards, only dogs, batons and horses managing to move em from Leppings Lane onto Middlewood Road.
    After I made my way to the pub I heard/read about running batitles continuing between Wednesday fans and police all the way up Middlewood Road into central Hillsborough.
    Very rare for us at home.

#19 Owl1969, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    SWFC 66 likes this.
  20. Stan_Drews

Stan_Drews Registered User

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Boro a far nicer trip there’s days. The Yellow Rose was the pub we headed to back in the olden day’s :laugh: