1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

January transfer window

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by A Gooner, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Dan

Dan Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea FC
    Apparently Barcelona are willing to listen to offers for Coutinho :laugh:

So all that tapping up and hard work to sign Coutinho was all for nothing!

2. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    It was ego trip. 'We're Barcelona, we will sign who we want'. There's not a lot of thinking going on over there. They want Willian and are willing to give Chelsea Malcom in return. An ascended level of stupidity.

3. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Liverpool should offer 75mill for him.

4. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    We are apparently interested in Poulsen from Lepzieg.

5. StillHurts31

StillHurts31 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Werner is leaving in the Summer as he will only have 12 months left, can’t see rbl letting Poulsen go.

6. Bilo

Bilo Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    We really shouldn't. First, I'm fairly sure we don't have £75m to spend this window. Our net spend this summer was the highest in Liverpool's history, and while fans like to say "the Coutinho money went to VVD and Alisson", it's a truth with modification. A not irrelevant part of the Coutinho transfer fee was in clauses now looking unlikely to be triggered, and even then it won't add up to zero. Coupled with his wages, it doesn't financially make much sense.

Second, we don't buy world class players unless we absolutely have to. In fact, I'd argue the only exception is Alisson. People will mention VVD, but there wasn't a single person I know or have heard of who called him world class at Southampton. They'd have been laughed at, as Liverpool were for paying a world class fee. Why we don't buy the ready made product one can only speculate, but I suspect it has a lot to do with wages. Buying a player who's on £60k a week will cost you a lot less than buying a player who's on £270k, even if the transfer fee is the same.

So while we do need a Coutinho type player, I don't think we'll be looking for one this window because we're probably skint. And when we do, we'll be looking into nr 10s on wages in the region of £60k-£100k per week.

7. StillHurts31

StillHurts31 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I don’t think we are skint, we’ve sold very well recently and our commercial revenues are improving and only going to get better with the new deals coming up. That said I agree, we aren’t going to spend that kind of money on Coutinho, a player who faked an injury when it looked like it could get him a move.

8. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Ok.
    Liverpool should offer 75mill for Coutinho.

9. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Coutinho? World Class? If I speak, I am in big trouble...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the Denis Suarez stuff, we're pushing Barcelona's patience to the limit. They want a loan fee and a mandatory purchase agreement. We want a free loan and an optional purchase agreement. :laugh:

We're trying to use the player's desire to join us (as well as an apparent promise by the Barca hierarchy to Suarez to get him a move) to our advantage.

#1589 A Gooner, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  10. Muller

Muller Fun Bobby

Supports:
    Liverpool
    All jokes aside he is world class. Valverde just seems clueless about where to play him.

11. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    They play 4-4-2 right? Straight away, it's very hard to see where he fits in there. He's not an old school type winger and he certainly isn't a central midfielder. I'd be surprised if Valverde even wanted him.

Muller and StillHurts31 like this.
  12. mattamomo

mattamomo Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Said at the time it was bizarre. Big money and no real position or need for him.
    Barca keep doing it. Like with their attempts to get Willian on top of the other wide men they spent big on.

What's the logic.

13. AlissonWonderland

AlissonWonderland Slumdog Mignolet

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Liverpool skint? Put the crack pipe down mate. That net spend is nothing for a club of our stature.

14. Bilo

Bilo Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    The 'crack pipe' your referring to is of course guesswork, given that I'm not an accountant with insight into our finances. And by skint, I meant skint in relation to whether or not we have the kind of money it takes to buy a starting nr 10. But guesswork or not, the numbers kind of point in the opposite direction of what you're saying.

Our net spend this summer was £127 million, according to transfermarkt. I believe that is a lot more than "nothing", and stature has nothing to do with it. Our annual turnover is less than £400 million, so in fact it is in itself a huge outlay (it's close to a third of it!). To think we have £75m or in that region not only in the coffers, but to spare, is rather optimistic. Furthermore, we've handed new deals to Salah, Firmino and Mané all in the past year; which likely came with substantial fees both in signing on bonuses and agent fees. If we, for example, spent another £80 million in transfer fee, agent fee and signing on fee, that would take our spend this season north of 50% of our annual turnover (again, excluding signing on fees for our front three plus the new signings). Which, regardless of "stature", is bordering insane and won't happen.

15. AlissonWonderland

AlissonWonderland Slumdog Mignolet

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Why is it only the previous window that is relevant? After the summers dealings our net soend for the past 5 seasons was 140m. We've just sold Solanke for 20m and got Clyne off the wage budget.

That means we are under 25m per year in the red since 2013. An incredibly low expenditure for a club of our stature.

The fact that Fekir was a done deal until he failed the medical shows the money is there to be spent.

16. Schindlers Pissed

Schindlers Pissed We don’t fiddle with our livestock

Supports:
    Huddersfield Town
    This Bile guy has caused quite a few ruckuses since joining.
    I like it.

17. Pagnell

Pagnell Pick Up The Gun

Supports:
    Liverpool
    We're not a hobby (Chelsea) or a heavy loss-leading PR exercise (Manchester City), we're a business. We don't have stupid money to spend unless we make it back from elsewhere, either the sale of player (as in Coutinho to finance the purchases of VVD and Alisson etc.) or from other aspects of the "business".

Bilo likes this.
  18. Muller

Muller Fun Bobby

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Every post is like an essay cba...

David and Schindlers Pissed like this.
  19. prolifik

prolifik TAKE THAT FOR DATA

Supports:
    Manchester United
    They're back to 4-3-3 this season if I'm not mistaken, but it's still not clear where he fits in that system either.

20. Schindlers Pissed

Schindlers Pissed We don’t fiddle with our livestock

Supports:
    Huddersfield Town
    But you spent 310 million pounds in the last 2 seasons and received about 195 million pounds back.
    Seems like quite a big loss of money tbh.