1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

January transfer window

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by A Gooner, Sep 27, 2018.

1. David

David Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Because Higuaín is already on loan from Juventus to Milan.

2. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    And this is why we go out the cups when we rest players because we don't have the squad depth to compete on multiple fronts.

We had nothing on the bench in 13/14 when going for the title and the bench in Klopp's first game was an embarrassment. 25 million a year investment (factoring in selling our best players and what was a poor ageing squad to begin with) is not sufficient these days.

3. gate17

gate17 Registered User

Supports:
    chelsea
    I don't think Gattuso wants Morata... let's be honest why would he. Higuain is a 30 year old who is having a bad season at Milan but at least he puts in a shift...Morata is A sulky spoilt centre forward who falls over as soon as he is touched.

4. gate17

gate17 Registered User

Supports:
    chelsea
    You can't blame players like Clyne etc leaving. there good players but not good enough to be starters and would rather play for a smaller team than sit on the bench. Liverpool have I would have thought had put a buy back clause or a sell on clause.

5. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Clyne was first choice but was injured for a year and then had niggling injuries when he returned. In the meantime Trent took his place. When he eventually did get back to fitness he was starting to get games and would have played in several more if he'd been available tbf.

The problem is more when you've got a first XI that is so much better than the second XI then it makes it harder to rotate, especially with players like Moreno you really can't rely on. This is usually the reality for the non top clubs anyway. You might have quality depth in one or two areas, mainly because if you're not in European competition then you can't carry a big squad playing one game a week.

If you go deep in 3 or 4 competitions then the squad player can still feature in 30-40 games. Take Man City where Sterling and Aguero might play one game and then Jesus and Mahrez the next. which you can do when you have a game every 3 or 4 days all season. Less so if the backs up are Origi and Sturridge.

Justthatek and gate17 like this.
  6. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I think Manchester City are a bit of an anomaly.

The reality is you're in a similar position to us in that it's not easy to find backup players of the same equivalent talent to the first 11 because if they're that good, they want to play and probably will somewhere else.

Liverpool could maybe do with a back up to someone like Robertson but you're not going to find a top class left back that's happy sitting on the bench. Likewise Allison or Salah or whoever.

You have to go get someone like Shaqiri, who to his credit has been a really good signing, that isn't realistically going to start when everyone is fit.

Tottenham haven't spent money but at the same time I think we've struggled finding sufficient quality available that believe they can break the first team.

We were linked with Morata at one stage who said himself, he wouldn't play ahead of Harry Kane. Perhaps a blessing in disguise for us but he went to Chelsea instead and probably got a better wage too. Consequently we always appear to be a Kane injury away from a crisis.

We've got by so far and despite injuries have been competitive in all competitions. Our depth is probably a little better than Liverpool's but both clubs are in a position where they're struggling to find the same quality to sit on the bench.

You look at Arsenal, Chelsea and United's bench on occasions and it's not much better.

7. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    Gattuso: "We'll see what happens. If it was up to me, I'd keep him at my house and feed him my dinner." :laugh:

8. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think if you get a squad of 20 players of first team quality then you can provide the game time to keep all happy, especially if you challenge on all fronts. City have proven you can do that. Competition for places and plenty of games for everyone.

9. David

David Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Sounds like a good deal for Higuaín.

Seems like with all the stories going around that it’s bound to happen by the end of the window. There’s a lot of smoke here

10. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    Looks like it, he's getting on a bit but he & Morata are like night day as finishers. & Sarri bought the best out of him at Napoli.

Who do you want between Barella & Paredes?

11. DunblaneWolf

DunblaneWolf Nil - Nil

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    We've been linked with Josh Maja from Sunderland. Would be happy with that.

12. Jackson

Jackson Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall
    Think you need to aim higher than him tbh.

13. DunblaneWolf

DunblaneWolf Nil - Nil

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Only seen him a few times but he looks like quite a good player to me.

14. Godolphin

Godolphin Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    He’s got a big future if he keeps progressing how he is doing and he’ll be a steal for anyone this window while he wants out and while Sunderland are still in league 1. He’s at the lowest price he’ll ever be.

15. StillHurts31

StillHurts31 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Besiktas are broke, they aren’t going to paying £15m for anyone any time soon.

16. Godolphin

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    I’m sure they’ll probably be owed some of the fee he was bought for in the first place still. That £15m could easily be £3m with £12m remainder owed wiped off (example).

17. StillHurts31

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Imagine they’d rather the cash, Tosun is poor.

18. Godolphin

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    Poor for Everton he may be, but he’s loved at Beşiktaş. He’s also easily worth £15m in the transfer market. Fact.

19. StillHurts31

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Opinion.

20. Godolphin

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    No it’s fact. Whether you, i or our mums disagree doesn’t alter that. It’s a fact. That’s the market.