1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JJB Stadium - Wigan Athletic

Discussion in 'Grounds Guide' started by IJY14, Apr 26, 2009.

1. IJY14

IJY14 Herald the future

Supports:
    Wigan
    Ground Name: The JJB Stadium (DW Stadium as of August 2009)
    Capacity: 25,135 (all seated)
    Address: Loire Drive, Wigan, England, WN5 0UH
    Pitch Size: 110 by 60 metres (120 yd × 66 yd)
    Club Nickname: Latics, Wigan, Tics.
    Year Ground Opened: 1999
    Undersoil Heating: Yes

BEV:

[​IMG]

Front:

[​IMG]

North:

[​IMG]

East:

[​IMG]

South (same as north):

[​IMG]

West:

[​IMG]

What's The Ground Like?

As most of you know we share our stadium with Wigan Warriors rugby club. Since the sale of Springfield Park we both have to share the stadium, however, priority is given to Wigan Athletic. The opposite stands are more or less identical with the only difference being the West stand has boxes and executive seating. It does look like a modern stadium, although he design is quite basic and it does look like it was built fairly cheaply, for example there are very few corporate areas and executive boxes and all stands are single tiered. All four stands are of the same design, except that the stands behind both goals have their supporting metalwork (painted white) below roof level and the two stands facing the touchline have there's above roof level, almost like small Wembley arches and this adds to the look of the stadium. These features contribute to the basic look but also have advantages of easy capacity increase & a good view from anywhere in the stadium.

What Is It Like For Visiting Supporters?

Visiting supporters are housed in the North Stand (behind the goal) and there is room for about 5500 in this end. The view of the pitch is good, although you do feel a bit far away from the action, especially when the ball is down the other end of the pitch. The experience for away fans is quite good, but the stadium does seem to lack a bit of character and presence that you get at other football grounds across the country, maybe due to a lack of atmosphere but also with the basic facilities. The food/drink is reasonable when buying items in any stadia but with so many available seats and not so many kiosks this could hinder the chances of getting food/drink.

With around 5500 fans in the stand it is easy to generate noise especially with the amount of ticket given. I would say it's one of the best in the premiership when it comes to accomodating away fans.

Where To Drink?

The traditional pub for away fans visiting the JJB stadium is the Red Robin, which is only a few minutes walk away from the ground opposite the Cinema Complex. At the stadium itself is the Marquee Bar which is specifically for away supporters to use and also welcomes families.

Otherwise in the centre of town is a Wetherspoons outlet called the 'Moon Under Water' which was popular with away supporters on my last visit. Also worth a visit is the award winning 'Anvil' pub, which is listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. This is located next to the bus station.

The 'Swan & Railway' pub in the town centre, opposite the entrance to Wigan North Western Railway Station is best avoided by away supporters. Otherwise alcohol is available inside the stadium.

How to get there:

Wigan's central railway stations (Wigan North Western & Wallgate stations) are a good 20 minute walk from the ground. So either take a taxi, or break up the journey with a few pub stops on the way!

On exiting Wigan North Railway Station turn left and go down the road heading under a railway bridge. On leaving Wallgate station turn right and go down the road passing Wigan North station on your left and then proceed under the railway bridge. It is a fairly straight walk along Robin Park Road passing the Jacobs Well Pub (at Wigan Pier) on your left, which is okay for away supporters. When you reach the Seven Stars hotel, you should be able to see the stadium over on your right. Either at the Seven Stars Hotel turn right and follow the locals on a shortcut along a canal to the stadium, or take the next road on the right.

Admission:

Common with most Clubs, Wigan operate a category system (A, B C) for matches whereby tickets cost more for the most popular matches (category A). Category C prices are shown below in brackets.

Home Fans:
    East & West Stands (Centre):
    Adults £30 (B £27) (C £22), Concessions £20 (B £18) (C £15)
    All other areas of the stadium:
    Adults £28 (B £25) (C £20), Concessions £20 (B £18) (C £15)
    Away Fans:
    North Stand: Adults £28 (B £25) (C £20), Concessions £20 (B £18) (C £15)

Juniors can obtain a further discount on the concession price in the East & South Stands, providing that they first become Club members.

Concessions apply to Senior Citizens and Under 16's.

Disabled Facilities:

There are 276 disabled spaces within the JJB Stadium. Each side of the ground has 24 disabled spaces, therefore offering a choice to the spectator. All disabled seating has lift or wheel chair access ramps, and there are disabled toilets and access ramps in all stands.

There are also 40 trackside disabled spaces available in the North and South stands, with 50 trackside disabled spaces available in the East and West stands.
    There are also facilities for the partially sighted and blind.
    There are a limited number of disabled car parking spaces, which can be pre-booked.

2. Tractorboy Tom

Tractorboy Tom Jewell out.

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    You've just copied this from football ground guide :p

Awful, awful stadium!

3. IJY14

IJY14 Herald the future

Supports:
    Wigan
    I used some from there, yes.

Yeah truely aweful...why is that?

Least it's not old and falling down like such stadiums.

4. Mattwfc

Mattwfc Guest

good luck albion v wigan :thumb

5. powerage

powerage Let There Be Rock!

Supports:
    Spurs
    Never been, would like to though. I think it's a smart looking stadium, basic yes, but still smart!

6. Robin_L

Robin_L Newshound

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Piece of piss to get to is Wigan, I've been there by train and car and given it's a retail park football ground like Bolton up the road the car journey wins hands down.

Not blessed with pubs, but the Red Robin is really nice so not a problem.

7. IJY14

IJY14 Herald the future

Supports:
    Wigan
    There are a few pubs if you know where you are going.

The main ones are in town though so it's better going on the train.

8. Tractorboy Tom

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    Smart yes as someone pointed out but a very quiet crowd, not many fans, very dull and no character. There again I like older ground which you describe as "falling down", everyone has there opinion I guess :)

9. IJY14

IJY14 Herald the future

Supports:
    Wigan
    Quiet crowd, maybe when you last visited,

we fill over 76% of our capacity not to mention with a horrible ticket system and also 15 football league teams in pretty close vicinity (6 of them are PREMIERSHIP CLUBS) where as there are 2 clubs in your carrot munching vicinity. Some day soon you will have a ground with 'no character' when yours gets knocked down.

#9 IJY14, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  10. Tractorboy Tom

Supports:
    Ipswich Town

We wont ever move from Portman Road, it has a great character, better than most Premiship clubs.

And it was a top of the table clash in the Championship, you were still quiet, oh and you brought 127 fans to PR for a top of the table clash the other year :laugh: Pathetic :laugh:

11. BergkampGod

BergkampGod Banned

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I like the JJB stadium only think i dont like is it murder getting a shirt signed after the game. The away coach comes and parks right in front of the door so only a few players will come round and sign a top.

12. IJY14

IJY14 Herald the future

Supports:
    Wigan
    I'm sure you will move when it falls down, it's due.

Yeah you forget to mention it was 2 days after christmas on a tuesday night when it was bad weather not to mention a 6 and half hour trip there and the same back.

Remebering 6 PREMIERSHIP CLUBS in the proximity, not like you, 2 carrot munching teams in 100 miles of anyone else.

#12 IJY14, May 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009
  13. Tractorboy Tom

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    120 odd :laugh:

Well 2 of our stands are newer than your stadium, so I doubt it will fall down anytime soon :salute:

14. IJY14

IJY14 Herald the future

Supports:
    Wigan
    Championship mid-table :laugh:

15. can2i

can2i Registered User

Supports:
    None
    What is the atmosphere like on match days ?

16. PhilJack

PhilJack Swansea Till I Die

Supports:
    Swansea City
    Shocking.

When I went there back at the start of the decade, the atmosphere was so shit they played crowd noise through the PA system. And no, I'm not joking. I've spoken to other hands who have experienced the same thing there.

Embarrassing.

17. Mark 1978

Mark 1978 Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    Unless we become a top force in English football and need a big (50,000+) stadium, we wont move. There is still room to expand both of our older stands, and we already have partial planning permission for one of them :thumb

18. ant_03

ant_03 Guest

the atmosphere is terrible.
    i went to wigan to watch city play them. they are absolutely terrible fans.

19. Celtic Symphony

Celtic Symphony Registered User

Supports:
    Celtic
    Just looks like a plastic stadium which holds no atmosphere .

20. ccfctommy

ccfctommy Basket Case Club

Supports:
    Coventry City, Rangers
    Very cold with those empty corners aswell!