1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Keir Starmer next PM

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by johnnyT, Apr 29, 2020.

1. King_Kenny

King_Kenny JUSTICE FOR THE 97!

Supports:
    Liverpool

Listen, I hate the tories as much as you and I know exactly what you mean here. But even before this episode I have not thought Starmer is any good for the party, he's just a modern day Tony Blair imo, he's a back stabber and consistently goes back on his word...now talking to this shitpiece of a rag is the final nail in his coffin for ME personally...I'm not suggesting anyone else abandon the party or anything :shrug

2. Beast Mode

Beast Mode Active Member

Supports:
    Oldham
    A hypocritical politician? I think some thicker skin is going to be required if liberals want a semblance of their ideology to come to fruition again. Think people that vote Conservative are arsed that their politicians are undeniable scumbags? No. They continue to vote because they want that ideology to rule.

The problem with liberals is they're meek.

3. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
  4. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    What makes me laugh is that I reckon a large proportion of people who bought that rag yesterday didn't even know or care about Starmer's article, let alone read it. Lol.

5. Beast Mode

Beast Mode Active Member

Supports:
    Oldham
    This dismissive and snobbish attitude towards others is part of the reason that people become militant. The left used to be about reason, respect and arguing a point. Now it's about ad hominem and an aloof position.

6. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    It's not even about left or right, pal. Plenty of people despise that paper irregardless of politics.

I wasn't even being snobbish lol. People aren't better or worse if they do not really care about Keir Starmer writing an article. I was just acknowledging the simple fact that plenty of people who purchased that paper when the article was published wouldn't have been bothered by it... which makes Starmer's risk all the more stupid to me.

7. Beast Mode

Beast Mode Active Member

Supports:
    Oldham
    It's regardless, not irregardless.

Yes, plenty don't read it. I don't read it.

You're being dismissive of people reading it because that supports your point. It's just baseless conjecture. There's no harm in trying to reach out.

8. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Goes back to my point though, plenty of papers to reach out to. And beyond the "highest circulation" point there is little reason to have taken this risk which has angered parts of Labour's base.

In the 2017 election, more Sun readers (30%) voted Labour than The Times (24%), The Mail (17%), Express (15%) and The Telegraph (12%). From Infographic: General election voting by newspaper readership

This was actually more than in 2015 when 24% of Sun readers voted for Ed Miliband's Labour party. From Newspaper readers' election votes reveal influence of rightwing press

Fancy that, eh? Jeremy Corbyn actually managed to secure a higher share of Sun readers despite refusing to deal with them at all. The Mail is only slightly behind The Sun's circulation reach, and as you can see has a far less pro-Labour readership than The Sun generally. It would have made more sense to have penned a piece for The Mail and not gone back on something he said 18 months ago, harming his credibility further.

9. valefrommow

valefrommow Registered User

Supports:
    port vale
  10. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Cummings calling for Nandy to replace Starmer. Don't disagree, especially with the getting rid of Starmer part.

StretfordEnd likes this.
  11. Dez

Dez Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham
    Even with Keir gone, Labour can't fix a fundamentally stupid population infatuated with Johnson and the Tories. If this pandemic and poor handling of Brexit hasn't changed the collective mind of the masses, very little will.

12. valefrommow

Supports:
    port vale
    Stupid post by a stupid person.

13. Dez

Supports:
    Wrexham
    Fascinating insight you've provided there.

14. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    So they should just give up?

15. Dez

Supports:
    Wrexham
    I just think it'll be a long time before Labour get near power again. A decade of "Labour trashed the economy" on repeat and Corbyn has made Labour a dirty word amongst the people who would probably benefit the most under a Labour government.

Labour's cheerleading is done by Starbucks-sipping, middle-class types who have championed micro-issues that have nothing in common with the problems facing Gary and Paula from the estate, which turns even more people off from Labour - meanwhile 'Bozza' is cracking inappropriate jokes, necking pints and gaining traction with ordinary people.

It's a shame there's a lack of political consciousness in this country. Parties have been treated like football teams by the media and in turn, the public.

16. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I think Nandy as leader focussing on crime would win over some voters, and a more conservative social position with tough messaging on crime would help Labour in general, but it would need to offer something elsewhere to stop haemorrhaging those on the left or the liberals going elsewhere or staying at home. I am not sure if Nandy can do both, but anybody would be better than Starmer at this point.

I read that Labour would need a double digit lead over the Tories to secure a majority under the new boundaries, so its a hell of a job whoever is in charge.

17. valefrommow

Supports:
    port vale
  18. King_Kenny

King_Kenny JUSTICE FOR THE 97!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Its amazing its taken Labour so long to take a lead in the polls, the Owen Patterson farce obviously helped, but apart from the vaccine rollout, Johnsons government have been atrocious, truly dreadful, Id go as far as saying covid has probably deflected from how poor they've actually been, littered with scandals and blatant corruption, Im truly bamboozled why they still have the support they do.

19. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    I think a lot of it is down to the lingering effect of the entrenched positions people took over the Brexit debate. For a lot of people for a long time, being pro leave also meant being pro Conservative because they were the party of Brexit and the only one of the main parties that were unequivocally in favour of it. With Boris being Brexit's lead figurehead. And so even when Brexit was done and dusted and it was clear that there was no way it could be reversed, a lot of that lingering entrenched loyalty has remained and people have cut more slack than they would do normally because they see other parties as anti Brexit (and pro woke) and therefore not worth considering.

Maybe the Brexit effect is finally beginning to fade and the sheer incompetence, corruption and dishonesty of Boris and his cronies is finally beginning to cut through and make an impression amongst leave voters who thus far have remained staunchly loyal?

King_Kenny likes this.
  20. Arkwright

Arkwright Barnsleytilidie

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    Says everything for me when Smarmer is presented with a huge open goal by the self serving sleazy Tories led by a buffoon, and still manages to come across as a sanctimonious twat!
    He is an awful Labour leader with nothing in common with ordinary traditional Labour voters......neither did Corbyn BTW. I despair.
    They can shove that stuffed shirt Burnham up their arses as well.