1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Jackett OUT

Discussion in 'Championship' started by DunblaneWolf, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Jackett's a bit of enigma.

Always seems to do well initially, then for whatever reason he goes away from his routes, tends to change his style of play and things go sour. Given that it's happened with us, and apparently happened at Millwall as well, you'd have thought he'd have learned his lessons be now.

His days are numbered at Wolves, but the thing he'll probably do well (initially at least) wherever at he's next.

2. DunblaneWolf

DunblaneWolf Nil - Nil

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    I'm starting to think that the type of football we've seen recently is more aligned with his 'roots' than the dynamic attacking football we saw towards the end of last season. He will always value size and strength over technical ability. He says 4-2-3-1 is his preferred formation but look at the players he's relied most upon to play the #10 position (which should be the attacking fulcrum and most creative player in the side). Darren Pratley, Liam Trotter and Dave Edwards... Workhorses who are good for little more than chasing the opposing DMs around. A far cry from the Mesut Ozil's and David Silva's of this world.

I also heard that he played Leon Britton on the wing while he was Swansea manager. We've got a similar player to Britton called Jack Price, he's absolutely fantastic and has the best beard ever. Before this season there was a ridiculous statistic that Wolves had never lost a game Jack Price had started in 70 attempts (or something along those lines), but Ken has barely gone one window without buying another DM to try and replace Price. Just because he's not a 7 foot tall mutant.

3. Wolves n Proud

Wolves n Proud Registered User

Supports:
    Wolves
    The one defence of Jackett is we lost Sako and then Dicko early into the season with a cruciate so our attack from last season was decimated however even in our final pre season game against the Villa it was obvious he still didn't know his best 11.

We lose Sako, we spend 2m on a defensive midfielder in Connor Coady as part of his ongoing obsession with replacing Jack Price (as explained by Dunblane, a fantastic footballer) with Evans and Saville at the start of last season and then Coady this he's attempted it three times and each time had to recall Jacko. (Evans and Saville have spent this season on loan in League One) Coady got sent off and hasn't managed to dislodge Price :laugh: and has only appeared recently because Price has been out ill.

He's signed Jed Wallace from Pompey who has had just 55 minutes in his proper position before bombing him out on loan, favouring Dave 'runs around and offers fook all else' Edwards as the number ten.

We sold Stearman - our POTY - to Fulham for 'footballing reasons' at the end of September leaving just three recognised centre halves at the club with a combined 160 appearances, one of which was returning from injury. Predictably 2/3 got injured and we had to loan Williamson from Newcastle. As an aside it also meant our POTY 1-2-3 of Stearman, Sako and Dicko would play no part in the season.

We finally sign a winger in Nathan Byrne but don't play him instead playing 4/5 other players out of position in that role and loan out Jordan Graham another winger.

Jordan Graham finally gets a chance and in 8/9 games has 6/7 assists and 1 goal.

We play ultra defensive 4-5-1 closer to 8-1-1 whether it's Middlesbrough or MK Dons.

I'm sure there's loads more, the guy isn't on this planet though and after hoping he'd turn it around because thinking he's a likeable guy I'm fast approaching contempt for him, I think he lucked out with Dicko, Afobe and Sako especially when you see the shite he's signed such as Leon Clarke and Yannick Sagbo.

4. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    I think that is probably the case. We initially played very good, attacking football under him, but he did inherit a strong side with plenty of attacking qualities. As time went on the passes were just getting longer and longer when he put more and more of his stamp on the side. He did play Leon Britton out on the wing, and a similarly classy midfielder in Roberto Martinez was let go on a free. He preferred centre midfielders who just weren't in there league technically like Owain Tudor Jones, because he was 6'5'. I'm just glad we let go of Jackett before Joe Allen came through, a couple of months after Jackett left Martinez gave him his debut and that was that. I'd imagine if Jackett was in charge of the academy, Joe Allen would have been deemed as either 'not big enough' or he'd have converted him in to an unsuccessful winger. There are some common themes running through his spells as a manager.

5. WBArgo

WBArgo Registered User

When he goes will you take him from my signature Quirk or does he stay this time?

6. Mitch_wfc

Mitch_wfc VIP

Supports:
    Watford
    Quite a few managers play defensive/cautious football with the main ethos on closing down and getting players back whenever defending, and quite a few managers also play players out of position, I know our manager does and LVG is also defensive. But the thing that makes its easier/better for oursleves (other than results) is that we always have two strikers on the pitch. Being defensive with just one striker though? How is that supposed too get you results? Surely If your playing one up-front then the idea would be to play with natural wingers who are allowed to express themselves and/or a proper number 10? Sides who have beaten Arsenal, Man City and Man Utd this season haven't done this by being defensive have they? You spend too much time worrying about what the opposition are doing you end up playing to not lose rather than to win

7. DunblaneWolf

DunblaneWolf Nil - Nil

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    You're bang on with this post.

8. Mitch_wfc

Mitch_wfc VIP

Supports:
    Watford
    So it's now going to be the same formation, same team, same tactics but with ALF instead of Afobe? Me, I reckon ALF would bang them in for fun with a modern tall target man alongside him. But that'd be too obvious/logical wouldn't it?

9. DunblaneWolf

DunblaneWolf Nil - Nil

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    I have absolutely no idea why they weren't played alongside each other from the start of the season. Even when they both started Afobe was being miscast as an attacking midfielder.

It was a major failing on Gary Bowyer's part last season when he failed to get Rovers anywhere near the play-offs with two 20 goal a season strikers.

10. Quirkafleeg

Quirkafleeg Wolves Ay We.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Please take him down, I jinxed everything all for a little giggle. More fool fookin me.

11. DunblaneWolf

DunblaneWolf Nil - Nil

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Boring, boring Wanderers.

12. LordMegson

LordMegson Registered User

Supports:
    WBA
    Things aren't much better down here :(

#152 LordMegson, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  13. WBArgo

WBArgo Registered User

Fancy a manager swap?

14. DunblaneWolf

DunblaneWolf Nil - Nil

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Pulis would love EEL.

Today Ken dropped a striker who he'd been chasing for a year, spent £3.5M on and had scored on his debut in midweek.

15. WBArgo

WBArgo Registered User

I'll raise you; today Pulis started Craig Gardner over Sessegnon (our best midfielder) and we had £12 million of his on the bench (Rondon)

16. DunblaneWolf

DunblaneWolf Nil - Nil

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Ken out. Build a fookin bonfire.

17. Jockney

Jockney Arse Reductionist

Supports:
    Millwall
    Used to be your side had a poor season you'd wait it out and, providing the threat of relegation wasn't a major issue, give the manager a full Summer to see if he could regroup the side and make a better go of it the following year.

Some of our supporters will tell you that Jackett went stale towards the end and was unable to bring the dressing room back onside. This has an element of truth in it, but doesn't do justice to the full story. The truth is that Jackett created two very good sides after he had supposedly lost the plot, but was unable to maintain them, either because of our size or lack of boardroom support. Watching Wolves' season unfold, admittedly from afar, it seems as if his hands have been tied on the transfer front. He is a man of integrity -- far from a yes man -- and will probably quit in the Summer if he continues to be constrained.

A little perspective is needed. If Wolves' board was serious about promotion, they would have given him the same backing that Burnley, Middlesbrough and Derby's gave their respective managers. It looks like he's been told to hold down the fort this year and, with Wolves closer to the top six than the bottom three at the moment, isn't that what he's doing?

18. DunblaneWolf

DunblaneWolf Nil - Nil

Supports:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    I'm not interested in what happened at Millwall. He's a shite manager, end of. This is his own fault. The football is shite and his decisions are baffling.

19. Acrylic

Acrylic Registered User

^^ agreed.

Couldn't give a shit about Millwall, I couldn't give a shit if he's previously won the World Cup. He plays boring football, shit ' tactics ', plays players out of position, & the most negative formation I've ever seen, especially at home.

I'll still renew my season ticket but my god if this guy is still in charge next season we may as well plan for League 1 again.

****ing clueless.

20. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Little bit of devil's advocate being played here but doesn't Jackett deserve a bit better than he gets on here?

Ok it's been a disappointing season but one bad one in three aint too bad, particularly considering how good the first two were. After three absolutely disastrous appointments in succession, Jackett has steadied the ship at the very worst and always seems like a decent bloke who conducts himself very well.

Obviously Jackett doesn't read these boards so I don't know why it matters really, I'm just surprised at the comments about him being clueless given what he's achieved.