1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Latics vs Vale

Discussion in 'EFL League One' started by Fent, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Fent

Fent OAFC L2 Champions 21/22

Supports:
    Oldham Athletic
    A result is important for us and Port Vale are a bit of a bogey side for us, last time we played Vale we were dreadful and didn't even register a shot on target. If we play like we did for the first half yesterday I'm confident we can get a result, if we play like we did in the 2nd half, then we're screwed. I hope the stewards aren't going to be like they were yesterday because it could create a nasty atmosphere amongst the home fans.

Interesting that Port Vale rejected Jonathan Forte before he came to us, he's probably been our best player so far this season.

2. Dan Phillips

Dan Phillips Registered User

Supports:
    Port Vale
    You beat us 3-1 at your place last season? :laugh: We never seem to win there, but always beat you at Vale Park. I don't actually think we were even interested in Forte. It was just paper talk and internet rumours. Whilst the win at Doncaster yesterday was outstanding, and Oldham would've disappointed with their second half showing against Leyton Orient, we won't get ahead of ourselves. It'll be a totally different game against you lot on Tuesday night. Forte will have to be managed properly and not given the freedom to break into our box. We know Oldham have some qualities and players who, on their day, can hurt us. Clarke-Harris will be a handful because he's quick. I have to say that I'm actually looking forward to away games now as we have a top class midfield with Lines and O'Connor taking the piss out of Donny yesterday. It shows the strength in depth we have in midfield with the likes of Michael Brown, Steve Jennings and Louis Dodds as back-up at present. Ryan McGivern has been outstanding in all 3 league and cup games thus far (after weeks of Bristol City, Walsall and Hibernian FC fans telling us he was the worst player they'd ever seen (not quite so exaggerative, but you get my point...) and he's certainly made a terrific start to the campaign. Pope and Williamson bang on form with 8 goals between them in 3 games (4 each), so this myth of us struggling to score goals looks very laughable.

I'll remain positive, and think we can edge a tightly-contested game 1-2. Although, as I do rate Oldham, I would be content with a 1-1 scoreline and remain unbeaten.

#2 Dan Phillips, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  3. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Oldham 1 Port Vale 1.

4. Vale Till I Die

Vale Till I Die Registered User

Supports:
    Port Vale Fc
    I'll be there Tuesday, if we play like we have the last two games particularly like we did at Donny then i think we will win 2-1.

5. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    This does seem to be a matchup where the home side generally win. Oldham fans have always talked about how they always lose at Vale Park, and it feels the same for us at Boundary. Just one-off results here and there, Oldham winning 3-0 at VP when we were relegated, and us winning 1-0 at BP with a Constantine goal one year.

6. cumberland SHD

cumberland SHD Registered User

Supports:
    Carlisle United
    Oldham 1-2 Porto

7. maybee

maybee Registered User

Supports:
    brentford
    feed the pope and he will score 0-2 away win ...a double for mr pope

8. Fordy

Fordy Registered User

Supports:
    Port Vale
    0-3 away win, 2 for the Pope and 1 for his disciple Ben Williamson

9. scunnymadandy

scunnymadandy Alfreton 14-0 Sheff Wed

Supports:
    Scunthorpe United
    Oldham 0-10 Port Vale

10 goals by Pope, 10 assists by Pope, 100% possession for Pope, Pope to be made Pope at half time.

10. Vale Till I Die

Vale Till I Die Registered User

Supports:
    Port Vale Fc
    Ha ha Mr Williams career step-up is going well i see.:whistle

11. scunnymadandy

scunnymadandy Alfreton 14-0 Sheff Wed

Supports:
    Scunthorpe United
    I'm sure he's already regretting leaving Pope Vale.

12. Dan Phillips

Supports:
    Port Vale
    4 goals already this season for Popey, and we're only 3 games in. He scores when he wants.

13. viking1

viking1 Registered User

Supports:
    port vale
    been to oldham 4 or 5 times and never even seen us get a point :( . we should have taken at least a point last season but managed to miss a peno at 1 up and cruising and we collapsed after h/t . anyway back to this season , we have more quality in depth this year and are a more solid unit (esp midfield). fingers crossed our defence will continue to perform better and maybe just maybe we can do better than the usual defeat there . oldham are never an easy touch for us at boundy park so i would take a point now. see u there UTV.

14. PVFC

PVFC Registered User

Supports:
    Port Vale
    Tough game, if we play like we did on Saturday then I'm very confident of a win. Can't see that happening as we always seem to lose at your place. Forte needs to be marked out the game as the donny strikers were. I'll remain confident 2-1 vale, pope and Williamson to score. Be happy with a point from this one though.

15. bryan_vale

bryan_vale Registered User

Supports:
    Port Vale
    Is it pay on the gate for away fans?

16. Simpo

Simpo Conscience Of League One

Supports:
    Oldham Athletic
    Yeah, not a problem.

17. LoyalVale

LoyalVale Registered User

Supports:
    Port Vale Football Club 1876 (You can only have 1 team)
    Where is the designated Tom Pope Suite in the ground situated so me and Scunnymadandy can sit together pulling the head off it over the lad Tom Pope?

18. Dan Phillips

Supports:
    Port Vale
    It was 1-1 when Hughes missed the penalty. Adam Rooney put them 1-0 up early on with a close-range header.

19. Lady Vale

Lady Vale Registered User

Supports:
    Port Vale
    I predict a tough game of which Oldham will have earmarked as their first win of the season.

3 points would make it a great start but a clean sheet alone would be enough to make it a positive night - but for a wonder goal we'd have got one on Saturday.

20. PVFC

PVFC Registered User

Supports:
    Port Vale
    Wonder goal?