1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League 1 Members General Chat

Discussion in 'EFL League One' started by PhilJack, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Adz

Adz League One FOREVER.

Supports:
    Sunderland AFC
    Now now Mr Negativity, I didn’t necessarily mean us. We will have enough cash & revenue streams to keep us going for the foreseeable. It’s the smaller clubs who heavily rely on match day income I’m concerned with.

2. SAFC7777

SAFC7777 Registered User

Supports:
    Sunderland
    No club in the land rely on matchday income than we do. Our wage bill for this level is colossal, and that’s because our matchday income at this level is also colossal. Now we are going to be left with huge wage bill and no fans.

3. Adz

Adz League One FOREVER.

Supports:
    Sunderland AFC
    We do not rely heavily on fans coming through the turnstiles. Where have you seen this? It helps club coffers, of course it does, but I’ve not seen any mention where we are hugely reliant on us?

4. SAFC7777

SAFC7777 Registered User

Supports:
    Sunderland
    Where else is the money coming from ? Parachute payments are over .... the bulk of income at this level is matchday revenue. TV money is paltry as is sponsorship.

5. SalopTillIDie

SalopTillIDie League 1 member

Supports:
    Shrewsbury
    Brian Caldwell our Chief Executive has talked this morning that if we’re to play behind closed doors for the rest of 2020, the club would lose £2 million and fall into debt.

Frightening times even for our very well run club which has always lived within their means under Roland.

6. Gassy

Gassy Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    What, independent body like the one that just happened to let big clubs like Bolton off the hook?

Why should an independent body decide what is best for my club? What’s best overall for the league is what will have the majority of votes, should we decide elections on independent bodies too?

Literally every club is in the same position here.

Mowgli and SalopTillIDie like this.
  7. SAFC7777

SAFC7777 Registered User

Supports:
    Sunderland
    It’s not just a game though, this decision means good people in Sunderland like ticket office staff will lose their jobs. The only thing that gave me a glimmer of hope that the club can be solvent is going up to the championship. Clubs are just voting with their own interests in mind. There’s no way the premier league will end in similar circumstances as there’s too much money at stake. Each league the EFL oversees should end in the same way. Can’t have different leagues ending in different ways.

8. SAFC7777

SAFC7777 Registered User

Supports:
    Sunderland
    Also what’s going to happen to Tranmere and Stevenage is a bigger disgrace. You can’t just relegate teams who had a chance of staying up, it’s morally incomprehensible.

Reginald Fodstain likes this.
  9. Gassy

Gassy Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    And people at Bristol Rovers, Accrington, Shrewsbury - every other club will also lose their jobs. Or are Sunderland workers more important than ours?

Sunderland will vote in the best interest of Sunderland and your employees. We will do the same for Bristol Rovers.

No one is coming out of this in a better position then when they entered it. You’re not the only ones to lose money. And tbh, it’s your own fault that you ended up in L1 and haven’t got out since.

Why should we all put aside what’s best for ourselves and our staff, for the sake of Sunderland?

I do agree that the entire EFL should work in unison though, that’s just messy.

Mowgli likes this.
  10. Gassy

Gassy Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    Stevenage only have a chance of staying up because of Macclesfield’s recent points deduction - which btw Bolton wasn’t given for the exact same crime.

People are losing their jobs all over the country, people are dying, people are breaking lockdown - is that not morally incomprehensible? A little perspective perhaps.

Whilst I’d feel for Tranmere, a PPG average is the fairest way of deciding the league if it can’t be played.

And let’s be honest, you couldn’t give a shit about Tranmere or Stevenage. You’ve made it very clear you’re wanting to carry on for the sake of Sunderland, but then moan that other clubs are voting for themselves. Who are you (Sunderland) to decide what is best for league 1? Majority rules and that’s final. Some will lose out, some won’t.

11. SAFC7777

SAFC7777 Registered User

Supports:
    Sunderland
    What happened to he spirit of the game though ? It’s all gone out of the window, if we were sat in a play off position I would feel guilty tbh. The unweighted PPG means the team currently sat in 8th move up to 3rd, illustrating how tight things were. Rotherham have also got to be the luckiest side in history, had the hardest run in of all the top half. The government were happy for another round of fixtures to occur, with fans, it was the footballing authorities who decided against matches. Once again, like has happened on a bi-weekly basis this season, the teams occupying the top 6 would have changed.
    Tbh I think I will knock football on the head after this, it’s corrupt to the core.

12. Gassy

Gassy Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    What do you mean, when you say whats happened to the spirit of the game?

I don't disagree, the table is really close, much closer than it has been for a while. That's why I think the fairest thing is for everyone is to carry on, but only if safe to do so. I don't want the season to finish, I think the integrity would be a bit f*cked up. But ultimately there are bigger things at play here, and much more important things. I don't see how football can come back, without a vaccine tbh.

The government were clearly wrong to want sporting events to carry on, you're making the complete wrong argument here. I don't want to get too political in this thread, so we'll leave that point at that.

Football is corrupt to the core, I agree with you. The PL desperate to get the money they can, the EFL with their decisions over Bolton Vs Macclesfield is just skimming the surface. However, I do actually think the EFL are being pretty good about the whole situation tbh. Instead of imposing rules, they're trying to speak with everyone to work out the best situation for each division, no result is perfect.

The safety of the population is the most important and there will never be a perfect scenario. In an ideal world I'd put clubs in hibernation until we can play again. Then I'd finish this season off and jump straight into the next season 2/3 weeks after. But that's just what I think, it's obviously a lot more complex than that.

13. Reginald Fodstain

Reginald Fodstain Not Scouse

Supports:
    Tranmere Rovers
    It's changing the rules with a quarter of the season to go; the problem is that most clubs in the league aren't affected by it so will happily shrug their shoulders and go "aye, so what?" Put yourself in our shoes and there's absolutely no way that it's fair. The two divisions above get to carry on and everyone from step 5 downwards has had the season voided with no threat of relegation - how can you have one scenario for one league and a different one for another? They've taken far too long to make a decision in the first place. Now, with such a fine margin at stake, Palios has announced that we will open legal proceedings if the EFL attempt to relegate us.

SAFC7777 and Super_horns like this.
  14. Gassy

Gassy Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    I'm not saying it's fair - I'm saying it's the fairest way if games aren't completed IMO. Even if Bristol Rovers were somehow relegated from this, as long as I have a club after this is over then I couldn't give a toss. That is my priority - the survival of Bristol Rovers. You can't find a completely fair way for every club, so you have to go with the majority - that's life. It literally works the exact same in every sort of election, do we moan about that saying it's unfair?

I agree that the 2 divisions above shouldn't continue if we aren't - certainly not the Championship. The EFL should have the same rules for all. But I at least respect the EFL for asking clubs what is best for them. There wasn't such a problem in L2 with ending the season, L1 seems to have such an issue because a few clubs feel like they have a right to be in the division above, for some reason.

I just think for the first time in his life, the Sunderland fan above is realising what it's like to be shat on by not being a big club in the top divisions. Welcome to the real world.

I don't think they've taken too long to make a decision, in fact I'm still not sure any decision should have been made. The situation changes almost daily, so I'm not sure we should be making decisions when who knows what could happen, I'd rather wait and see how the whole situation plays out.

At the end of the day, if 18 clubs say to stop the season, but 5 say not to - then sorry to those 5, but majority rules. If you want to take legal action, do so - as is your legal right.

15. SAFC7777

SAFC7777 Registered User

Supports:
    Sunderland
    Safety of the population will out of the window when 3rd(8th) - 6th partake in promotion play offs though ? If crowds are away for too long my club will go under, I ya overheads are too high. Donald will sell to property developers as football without the fans, especially in league one, is nothing.

16. SAFC7777

SAFC7777 Registered User

Supports:
    Sunderland
    The relegated 3 from the premier league will inevitably end up taking legal action whatever happens if Christian Purslow’s comments are anything to go by. Wonder if there’d be some kind of joint court case for all clubs who’ve been crapped on by this system - although premier league and EFL are different bodies. I know little about legal aspects but I think the championship playing on and league one and two not is a great argument clubs like Tranmere can have. All leagues that the EFL regulate should play out to the same conclusion. I also find it bizarre relegating Stevenage when the national league is in a frozen state. Wonder if disgruntled premier league chairman will assist lower league clubs in terms of legal fees etc. It’s going to get messy.

17. Reginald Fodstain

Reginald Fodstain Not Scouse

Supports:
    Tranmere Rovers
    Valid point. Thing is that we have excellent owners who have the club in a stable position through hard graft and sensible decision making. We can survive COVID but having that jeopardised via the loses brought by an undeserved relegation is hard to take. And to use your election scenario, the polls have closed five hours ahead of schedule without the public being told beforehand. Are the results still valid or do the losers, especially if by a very narrow margin, have the right to be completely outraged if the results are made to stand?

18. Gassy

Gassy Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    And there lies your real problem - you're salty that Wycombe will be in the play off spot. Makes no difference, Sunderland aren't in it I'm afraid.

But on the general point, I agree - the play offs shouldn't be played at all, if the rest of the league is over. They should just promote 3rd place (which I'm sure would annoy you even more lol).

You'll survive, we've seen the same story with Southampton, Portsmouth, Leeds, Leicester, Bolton - the list goes on. And only 1 club actually went bust - Bury. Hardly surprising it was allowed to happen whilst big clubs seem to make it through.

Ultimately, if Sunderland are spending £4m (which is bigger than most of the league's playing budget) on Will Grigg but then go out of business because they couldn't play 5 home games then really, your problem isn't Covid.

If crowds are away from every L1 club, we'll go under. What exactly do you want here? You're complaining that you want the season to continue, but that will never happen with crowds and you know what. But then you're saying if crowds don't come back you'll go under. If crowds don't come back next season then we'll all go under, there won't be a league left. Playing the final 8/9 games which could mean people dying really isn't worth it.

Mowgli and SalopTillIDie like this.
  19. Gassy

Gassy Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    Don't get me wrong, Tranmere are probably the only club I actually feel for in this entire scenario. It's fair from perfect and it's absolutely not fair. But the world is completely f*cked up right now, and we have to try and make the best decision we can. That decision will always be wrong for someone though.

Out of interest, if you hadn't picked up form in your last 5/6 games, would you be arguing the point of an undeserved relegation? (Genuine question).

In the scenario, how have the polls closed 5 hours early? I'm not entirely sure how the EFL came to the decision, was it with clubs or completely independent? Either way, the losers always have the right to feel aggrieved and make a stand. I'm not saying you shouldn't make a stand, or shouldn't sue the EFL. In fact you probably have pretty good grounds to do so.

How do you think the season should be finished out?

20. SAFC7777

SAFC7777 Registered User

Supports:
    Sunderland
    The problem is no club in the land rely on crowds more than us, our overheads are so big at this level because of the gates we get, and could be years before fans attend again. We are probably more at prone to going under than any EFL club at the moment, still got about 12 players under contract on July 1st. The proposals are insane. Getting into the championship was the only way we can honour wages beyond June. Not going to get a chance to have a go, despite being a point off 3rd and 3 points off 2nd with 8 games left to play. Championship has also got to end in this manner then, it can’t seriously be treat differently to league 1 and league 2. We all know it won’t though - £££££. It’s not about saving lives. It’s about money.

Gassy likes this.