1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League 1 Members General Chat

Discussion in 'EFL League One' started by PhilJack, Mar 18, 2007.

1. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Surely he's in for the sack as he's basically thrown the board under the bus with saying things like that?

Sent from my 6025H_EEA using Tapatalk

2. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    Think he's talking more about injuries with that but we still put out a half decent League One team, he's making out he's having to play 6 youth teamers every week. He has moaned a bit about the budget but we'll be spending more than Accrington, Cheltenham, Wimbledon, Cambridge, Morecambe, Gillingham, Shrewsbury, etc. It's just poor management from him and he's looking for excuses. Most of the fans have now turned against him but we're a club that gives time so not sure how long he'll have. In hindsight I'd have kept Butler, at least he's not an angry wanker.

3. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    On the one hand, seeing one of the goals of the season from Celina and one of the saves of the season from Walton made it worth going out in the cold today instead of staying in the warm and watching on screen. The touch and finish from Celina, wow. However effective he is or isn’t over 90 minutes the bloke has some skills.

Ob the other hand we are so bad off the ball it’s not even funny. Disorganised, poor shape, poor positioning, total lack of any press whatsoever, you could drive a bus through our midfield. Despite Cook praising Crewe they were poor and looked every bit a side bottom of the league, however we were hanging on at times and any side with something about them would have got something today. We look short of confidence all over the pitch and not least up front where Bonne’s hot streak is a distant memory. And yet he stays on again for 90 minutes despite Pigott sitting on the bench. He was actually going to bring him on in extra time but luckily the ref blew the whistle before it could happen because he would have got absolute pelters.

Don’t know where we go from here, a win’s a win but we are well off the pace at the moment.

4. SAFC7777

SAFC7777 Registered User

Supports:
    Sunderland
    Yeah he hangs onto his job, a good win. I just wish we would stop delaying the inevitable though and make the change, it’s obvious he won’t take us up. We don’t look as impressive as any team in the top half, it’s a fluke that we are so high up. Riding our luck massively, I was ignorant of how physical a team Cambridge are, thought you were more a footballing team, though Hoolahan oozes quality.

5. SAFC7777

SAFC7777 Registered User

Supports:
    Sunderland
    You should have beat us by at least 2 goals, as I said in my post above, we are riding our luck. I thought you looked good at the SOL and only a freakish triple save and a bizarre Aluko miss stopped you from winning.

6. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Registered Useless : Trevor Kettle Style .

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    You can have Butler back , he's robbing a living off us as a set piece coach .

Our gobshite EL Presidente DMac was talking about you guys on his podcast couple of weeks back saying it was no surprise to see you guys go backwards pinning the blame firmly on the board not spending & your self reliance on loan players most seasons .

It's not just you guys who are struggling, I'm surprised how bad Lincoln are doing this season as well.

7. Habbinalan

Habbinalan Registered User

Supports:
    Cambridge United, with nostalgic connections to Barrow AFC
    We've added a bit of steel and gained some nous since last season. It's been enjoyable to see a bit of subtle deployment of the dark arts as well. Essentially just making the best of our limited resources and ability with a small squad where Wes only plays saturdays.

The move from 2 up top (with Mullin) to one, as a starting formation, has been deliberate and planned. The odd time we've gone 442 (apart from Burton) our midfield has been overwhelmed. We've narrowed our pitch to the minimum and drop into shape quickly as our way of staying in games then depend on fast wide players and or playing off an excellent and improving Hard Northern Bastard as a lone striker.

We'd have had fewer goals against and more points if we hadn't been reduced to using young inexperienced RB/CBs and our MoM LB in central defence because of a broken ankle to our captain/CB and niggling prolonged groin injury to our first choice CB. Not complaining though as it's generally been great fun to watch games home & away again. Didn't expect more than scraps from our games in Nov/Dec (apart from the cup) but actually disappointed after the performances (MK aside) probably deserved more.

We can relax into Trophy/Cup week now, before the trek over to Cheltenham next Tuesday - the start of the only "holiday" I'm getting this year as I'll do Barrow v Salford on the Weds, finishing with U's v Charlton on the Saturday.

8. scunnymadandy

scunnymadandy Alfreton 14-0 Sheff Wed

Supports:
    Scunthorpe United
    Is he sacked yet??

9. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    Its a bit of those but poor recruitment overall, we've signed players who historically don't create chances then are shocked when those players aren't creating chances, so in-turn we've had the lowest shots and lowest goals in the league. Defensively were about midtable if we could actually defend set pieces. Saw the other day that we've conceded the most set pieces goals by some way. Paul Gerrard coaches our set pieces and has for a couple years now and we've always been a shambles at them.

10. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    Y'know when your club just feels rotten to the core?

:(

11. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Anis Mehmeti has signed a contract extension until June 2024 which is great news as he's a real young talent and has started adding goals to his game with 3 in 2 matches,i thought we would lose him on a free transfer in January i'm so glad to be wrong. :)

12. Adz

Adz Pizza Champions 2021.

Supports:
    Sunderland AFC
    Looks a cracking player in fairness.

13. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    We got him for nothing after he was released by Norwich after coming through their academy and he spent time in our development squad before Ainsworth gave him his debut last season, he just needs to be less of a moody fecker at times but that will come as he gets older as he's only 20 years old and i trust Ainsworth and Dobson to have a quiet word with him.

14. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Registered Useless : Trevor Kettle Style .

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    Just reading on Sky Sports News Charlie Wyke thanking Wigan's medical team for saving his life following a cardiac arrest :eeek

There's loads of this going on now be it in the stands or on the pitch , weird , but glad he's on the mend .

15. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    He’s gone!!!:banana:

Wellens will always be a legend for his playing days, but the less said about the last 6 months the better

DonnyOsmond likes this.
  16. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    It's a shame but you were 100% going down under him so the right call

Sent from my 6025H_EEA using Tapatalk

Donnyrovers90 likes this.
  17. Donnyrovers90

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    Yeah we definitely were. I honestly couldn’t care less if we went out and got a hoofball merchant, I’d just like to see us play with some semblance of a style of play.

We’re still very much in the shit, the clubs a mess and Wellens was only one part of that

18. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Yes - didn’t realise it was so serious.

Like you say thank goodness for the medics .

19. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    Thank f*ck!

Donnyrovers90 likes this.
  20. Donnyrovers90

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting