1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League cup invitation to Scottish and Welsh teams.

Discussion in 'Domestic Cups' started by SusanScottishfan, Jul 4, 2018.

1. SusanScottishfan

SusanScottishfan Up with Scottish Football.

Supports:
    Ross County
    I do not support Scottish and Welsh teams joining the English League as that would destroy Scottish football, and a better option would be to allow the big teams to stay in the Scottish League, with European qualification, but on top of that cross border cups with English sides. So how about inviting the top 3 Scottish premier sides and the top Welsh premier side into the English League cup each season.
    I would love Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen to play big English sides in a cup competition when they are good.

2. SusanScottishfan

SusanScottishfan Up with Scottish Football.

Supports:
    Ross County
    Here is a full article i have written about the idea.
    Expand English League Cup with Celtic sides

OK here is my last post about the English inviting Celtic club sides in to their cup trophies.

As we know Scotland, Wales, and Ireland are some of the celtic nations of Europe.

My idea to improve the English League Cup, and expand the brand with little change to the organisation of the trophy is too!

INVITE A SELECTION OF SIDES FROM SCOTLAND, IRELAND AND WALES INTO THE ENGLISH LEAGUE CUP.

I mean the top 6 sides from Scotland plus, the top 2 Welsh Premier sides, and one side each from Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

This would mean very little tinkering with the administration, logistics, and organisation of the trophy. Just 10 teams.

It would be a massive boost for Celtic soccer. If the English really want to help us, then DO IT, no questions asked.

Obviously Scottish, Welsh League, and Irish sides could not take the Uefa place for the winners of the English League Cup.

The Scottish have been kind enough to invite Welsh League, English Non League, and Irish (North and South) sides into the Scottish Irn Bru Challenge Cup. And Uefa have not stopped this. So why not extend an inviation to allow Scottish, Welsh and Republic and Northern Irish sides into the English League Cup.

People will say it is an English Football League trophy, but English Premier League teams compete in it.

Some Scottish, and Irish sides have in the past played in the English FA Cup. Some Welsh sides still play in the English League. So it is not a quantum shift to imagine some Celtic League sides playing in the English League Cup on an invitational basis.

I know the Celtic sides would be unlikely to win the trophy, but they could get some great games. The English sides could add to their rich histories with trips around the beautiful Celtic Lands, of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.

Disclaimer - I do not support merging the British leagues together. I want the best of both worlds. Where we keep our own domestic leagues, with European qualification, but have on top of that cross border cups where the English help our club sides to be as strong as they can be.

Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and Rangers would bring massive fan bases to the English Football League Cup.

The Welsh would benefit in astronomical ways from such an expansion.

Clubs like Aberdeen, Bala, and Crusaders would get tthe chance to play English Premier sides, or big English Championship sides.

I do not see it as doing any harm to English soccer.

It would hardly damage English soccer. In fact it would add to the history of the English football clubs.

It would only increase the brand of the English League Cup. How would it harm anyone?

It would be no skin of England’s back. Yet it would be a marvelous gesture of friendship.

Plus English sides would get to travel to the beautiful Celtic nations, see the Lochs of Scotland, the mountains of Wales, and the glorious Emerald Isle.

The banter would be great with intense nationalistic rivals.

It would be English football getting out, to help the Celtic nation’s leagues develop, in a way that would do English football no harm.

This would be transformational for the Celtic club sides.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT MERGING THE BRITISH LEAGUES. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS WHERE WE KEEP OUR OWN LEAGUES BUT HAVE CROSS BORDER CUPS.

3. Kirby

Kirby Wilf, Andros, Meyer Your defence is terrified

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Oh Susan.

4. gate17

gate17 Registered User

Supports:
    chelsea
    2 Welsh teams already play in it...... but I wouldn't be in favour of Scottish teams playing in it. Once there playing in England it would open the door to the Fa Cup then joining the league.