1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League of Nations

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Super_horns, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
  2. Dutch Don

Dutch Don Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Wimbledon, Excelsior Rotterdam
    I suppose it's nice for the smaller nations. The likes of Andorra, Faroer etc. will have some competitive matches against opposition fairly their level. And it's just coming in place of meaningless friendlies, so no more games in total.

But how the f*ck did we get into group A considering our last good match was the 3rd place playoff at the 2014 World Cup? Most of the teams in group B and some in C are better...

PorkchopExpress likes this.
  3. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress He's super strong, and super naked!

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Because that game in 2014 is still in the cycle. Come next summer you will probably drop a bit.

4. Dutch Don

Dutch Don Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Wimbledon, Excelsior Rotterdam
    To be honest, then they should look at their ranking system a bit. A team that hasn't performed for that long and missed out on 2 consecutive major tournaments shouldn't be that high, regardless of the performances longer ago...

Batman_uk1 likes this.
  5. Kris_BORO

Kris_BORO Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    My head hurts reading that

6. Person

Person Even angels need angels, Max

Supports:
    West Ham, Ross County
    Scotland, near top of the also rans.

7. Batman_uk1

Batman_uk1 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Holland on the top bracket just seems like it is based more on history then where they currently are in terms of results.

Dutch Don likes this.
  8. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress He's super strong, and super naked!

Supports:
    Manchester United
    They won their last 3, and 5 of the last 6.

So long term they have the world cup rankings, and short term they are doing well. The rankings aren't perfect, but with so few international games, and with each federation running on differeng schedules I don't think it is that bad. At least it is based on results.

9. Person

Person Even angels need angels, Max

Supports:
    West Ham, Ross County
    If the Dutch play the top tier teams only, they'll drop down the ranks pretty quickly. Far too many one paced, average players in their squad. Without Robben there's no real spark of creativity or vision.

EDIT: That was a lad on the Swedish side, got my wires crossed.

10. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    England up against Croatia and Spain - probably playing for 2nd then...

Scotland got a favourable draw - are the Albanian and Israel players too tall though?

Republic v Wales and Denmark again!

That will add some spice to this.

From what I can understand the 4 winners of each section go into a mini-league play-off battle with the winners qualifying for Euro 2020 and then the 16 next best also play in some sort of play-off thing!

Think there are still the usual qualifying groups as well so teams get a 2nd chance...

Nations League draw

#10 Super_horns, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  11. Steve - Wfc

Steve - Wfc Registered User

Supports:
    Watford
    This is the most baffling system ever.

12. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    The system is baffling and will take time to get used to. I think it’s a good idea though purely for the fact that it gets rid of daft pointless international friendlies and the minnows get to battle it out among themselves rather than getting slaughtered every game

13. Andrew

Andrew Broken leg stuff

Supports:
    Brighton
    I think I understand it all, up until this whole thing about giving 4 euro champ places in some big play-off after Euro qualification is done, with group winners being given a spot in the play-off, but if they've already qualified they next best goes etc, but if a whole group has qualified then the move over to the next division but the group winners there may have qualified too and so on. They lost me a bit there :laugh:

Seems needlessly complex, why not just have all 24 spots up for grabs in the normal qualifying? That worked out well for 2016. Top 2 go through, and the 3rd place teams go into the play offs. Simple and easy.

14. Joachim

Joachim Registered User

Supports:
    Barcelona
    I think it is pretty smart, you remove a large amount of the extremely boring-to-watch friendly matches and replace them with a mini tournament that functions as a backup route to the Euro. You also give the lower ranked nations more competitive matching and you guarantee that at least one nation from the lowest ranked bracket will make it to the Euro tournament.

It is somewhat hard to understand how the qualification process will be now, but let me try to explain it in a few sentences:

1) First all European nations are divided into four brackets based on their respective ratings
    2) Then four groups per bracket are drawn (this makes up the form of the Nation League)
    3) The teams per group are then playing each other team home and away during the fall of 2018
    4) Then the first round of Nations League ends
    5) Now the old European Qualifiers starts
    6) The groups of the European Qualifier will consist of five or six teams and will consist of (at least) one team from each of the four brackets and the teams from the top ranked brackets (i.e. England) are guaranteed to be placed in a group of only five teams
    7) From spring 2019 until fall 2020, the European Qualifiers are played as before with home and away matches and the top 2 teams from each group will qualify directly to the Euro (20 teams in total, as there will be 10 groups)
    8) Now the play-off round of Nations League begins and here the best four teams from each of the four brackets, that has not qualified for the Euro through the European Qualifier, will face off in a mini knockout tournament starting with semi-finals between the 1st ranked team vs the 4th ranked team and the 2nd ranked team vs the 3rd ranked team. The winners move on the the finals
    9) The finals are played as a best of ones and the home teams are decided by a draw
    10) The winners of the four finals have booked themselves the last four tickets to the Euro in 2020.

Super_horns likes this.
  15. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Gareth Southgate could have a club and International relegation on his CV...poor bloke.

Thing is I suspect most of the teams from Pot 1 will qualify for the finals through the usual qualifying structure so the play-offs might end up having Tier 2 teams in?

16. Deryn

Deryn Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham, FC Basel
    So does this mean the end of friendlies entirely?

Super_horns likes this.
  17. WAFC Dan

WAFC Dan Up the 'Tics CMON

Supports:
    Wigan Athletic
    No. Just less friendlies.

18. Deryn

Deryn Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham, FC Basel
    I see, good to know. Not that it'd affect Wales much though, we rarely play friendlies to preserve our ranking and under a ducker like Giggs I can't see that changing anytime soon.

19. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Only just had a nosey at what all the fuss is about in this competition. Got to admit it looks interesting with relegation and promotion.

First match played early September.

20. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Wonder how long its before the media dig into Southgate if we lose to Spain and Croatia !