1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League One 2018/19 Play-Offs thread

Discussion in 'EFL League One' started by SalopTillIDie, May 5, 2019.

1. SalopTillIDie

SalopTillIDie League 1 member

Supports:
    Shrewsbury
    Saturday, 11 May: Sunderland v Portsmouth (19:30)

Sunday, 12 May: Doncaster Rovers v Charlton Athletic (12:15)

Thursday, 16th May: Portsmouth v Sunderland (19:45)

Friday, 17 May: Charlton Athletic v Doncaster Rovers (19:45)

Sunday, 26 May: League One play-off final, Wembley (15:00)

Sunday, May 26: League One - Final

Tough to call, but I personally would want Pompey or Sunderland to go up as they’d be the toughest oppositions for next season I think. Don’t like Bowyer at Charlton or Marquis at Doncaster.

Sky Bet odds:
    Sunderland 12/5
    Portsmouth 5/2
    Charlton 5/2
    Doncaster 9/2

#1 SalopTillIDie, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  2. Bobbin’

Bobbin’ Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    Got the dates wrong mate.

3. SalopTillIDie

SalopTillIDie League 1 member

Supports:
    Shrewsbury
    Amended, the 1st legs swapped due to European rugby cup finals being played in Newcastle.

Bobbin’ likes this.
  4. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Registered User

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    I hope Donny go up.

Our old legend of a player at the helm & we always give a warm welcome to returnees + his son is an academy player for Posh.

Like you if Pompey or Sunderland were to disappear to the Championship I wouldn't be too bothered , 1 of 2 long trip away days out the way of , Plymouth already gone ( :clap: ) Charlton is near enough & I can leave for Donny at 1 o'clock , still throw a pint & a double down my throat & walk to the Keepmoat in time for kick off , 1 of my favourite away days.

5. mapperleyred

mapperleyred Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Donnie please.

Nice and local.

6. Kim Mitten

Kim Mitten Registered User

Supports:
    Southend United
    I think the winner of Charlton-Doncaster wins the playoffs. I've said before Donny/Peterborough reminded me of a couple of seasons ago when Millwall and Southend were going for 6th but miles behind 5th place. I said then whoever sneaks in will win them and Millwall duly got 6th and went up. So really wouldn't be surprised to see Doncaster go up.

7. SouthStandRover

SouthStandRover Registered loser

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    I like to be positive but to be honest I’m just happy to be in the play-offs. It would be a bonus to achieve anything else given the strength of the top 5.

I really rate this Charlton side and our away form is poor so our chances of getting to Wembley probably rest on the home leg.

Looking forward to the games either way. Train tickets booked for the away leg at The Valley so hopefully we don’t get battered in the first leg :D

8. SAFC7777

SAFC7777 Registered User

Supports:
    Sunderland
    Well we won’t win them that’s for sure. It’ll be Charlton I reckon.

9. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers

Thank you. Much nicer than your Chairman x

10. Ramblins

Ramblins Registered User

Supports:
    Rotherham United
    Hope Charlton go up, nothing against Donny, but a local game for us next season, same with Sinderland.

So by that logic I should want Portsmouth to go up right? Wrong! Nothing against Pompey but hate their manager Jackett after he dropped us in the shit couple of seasons ago!

11. NotsoPosh

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    Our Chairman ( who is a knob on twitter ) helped Grant get the Donny job.

Grants Son plays for our academy & there's the Golden Triangle around 15 miles North West of Peterborough where Fergie , Grant & Evans all live , one of Lincoln's players Michael Bostwick also around there.

Most of our fans are rooting for you guys , but we've had nothing but abuse of loads of yours , strange

12. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    It seems to be the same both ways, posh fans give us a lot of stick and your chairman’s tweet about Sadlier was just unnecessary

13. SouthStandRover

SouthStandRover Registered loser

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    I’ve never had a problem with Posh in general but pretty much all I’ve been reading (apart from yourself) is stuff like... “we’re a better club than you”, “you only got there because of loanees and our red cards”, “you don’t stand a chance in the play offs anyway”

Your chairman has said/echoed most of those kind of comments, as well as calling Sadlier a w*nker which doesn’t really make sense. All he’s done from my memory is scored against you and said he enjoyed scoring against his former club. But I suppose if that is enough to get your back up you will be seeing enemies everywhere.

I think you have been the most gracious person connected with Peterborough. Nobody else really seems to have had a gracious or dignified word to say. I guess when you’ve got delightful characters like MacAnthony and Ferguson (and formerly Evans) at the helm a certain attitude will permeate through the club.

14. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    Come on Sunderland you ****ing ****s!!!

Arkwright and Adz like this.
  15. NotsoPosh

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    Fair play & good summary .

There's good & bad fans attached to all teams , yourself & Donny Osmond got flack off lots on here for godolphin's comments which stuck for a few months pretty much the same reason scunny andy gets the same.

I'm 50/50 about our chairman , I like his openess on twitter where fans of all clubs ask him things & his answers honestly but he can bite & make a twat of himself time to time.

Personally I wish Fergie wasn't back but he always has success at Posh so next year could be our year :D ( yawn ) he's had his wife beating misdemeanors , Evans his tax fiddles but even Grant is a convicted drink driver , the dodgy side of management.

Fans wise we're a weird bunch , we have an ageing fan base , we have a massive immigrant population over last 20 years so attracting new fans is & has been paramount this season giving 20,000 Free tickets to school kids hoping a free season ticket for Under 12's will tempt their parents to but & get the bug.

As for our fans & old players , they always get a warm welcome from Posh fans which is how is should be.

16. Adz

Adz ESS AY EFF SEE.

Supports:
    Sunderland AFC
    We are coming in to the play offs in horrendous form, though they are one off games so I suppose anything can happen, but Charlton have the momentum and must be favourites IMO.

17. Justthatek

Justthatek Registered User

Supports:
    Portsmouth
    I think Charlton will win the finals, if we get past you guys Charlton will destroy us.

18. Kim Mitten

Kim Mitten Registered User

Supports:
    Southend United
    If there's one thing I've learnt from playoffs it's that form means nothing. Southend in 2004-05 League Two were in horrible form, top of the table with 6 games left needing only 5 points to go up, we ended up winning 1 of the last 7 games and came 4th. Last day at Grimsby when the final whistle went after a 1-1 and we heard Swansea had won to pip us to 3rd was like someone had died, the players body language was awful. They picked themselves up and ended up winning promotion (going up in a playoff final is certainly better than 2nd/3rd btw so have fun whoever wins these).
    The only thing that does seem to come true more often than not is that the team that sneaks in on the final day does pretty well.

19. SJ Mackem

SJ Mackem Jack Ross' Red and White Army!

Supports:
    SAFC
    What's your opinion on your reduced allocation for the game up here?

And will it affect our allocation in the return leg?

20. Bobbin’

Bobbin’ Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    Which is no-one this year to be fair. Although Doncaster were confirmed on the final day, wouldn’t say they snuck in.

A few anomalies this season really, no-one went on a mad run to secure a place right at the very end, the 3rd place team aren’t deflated after just missing out on automatic promotion.

Think these play-offs are going to be fascinating, I would be absolutely buzzing if I was a neutral.

#20 Bobbin’, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019