1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Leeds v Arsenal

Discussion in 'Premier League Match Threads' started by LUFCAndy, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Dugout-Demon

Dugout-Demon Aww-You-Beauty

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think we dodged a bullet with pepe.

MrE likes this.
  2. MrE

MrE kevin lasagna

Supports:
    I really don't think they were ever really in for him tbh. Maybe light interest, but when the price was touted at the 70 million mark... then any ounce of interest would have evaporated.

You would never spend that much on a back-up player. You'd have to be really sure even if it was a first choice player.

Dugout-Demon likes this.
  3. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    We’re crap. But at worst we’re only six points off fourth after this weekend. We need to get going and turn it around if we want to reach our goals. I think we need that one good performance to get us going.

4. MrE

MrE kevin lasagna

Supports:
    You were 5th this time last season. :eeek

5. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    It’s a good thing a season doesn’t finish after 9 games then isn’t it?!

I said a few weeks ago, we all have to be careful rushing to opinions about all the teams. A lot can change in 2-3 games. Fans seem very quick to pass judgement so far this season. It’s a slog, and there will be plenty more twists and turns to come.

6. LUFCAndy

LUFCAndy Registered User

Supports:
    Leeds
    You're the opposite of what you used to be. Now great defensively (especially from set pieces), but less potent going forwards.

I do think you'll do well this season once you find the right balance. Plus maybe start Saka instead of some overpaid mercenary.

Hope you beat scum to the champions league places!

7. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I think Saka would have started if he didn’t play all three internationals. But we’ve got to be careful pinning all our hopes on a teenager.

8. MrE

MrE kevin lasagna

Supports:
    I was just surprised, from my memory Arsenal were pretty poor from the get go last season.

I mean if the minimum for Arsenal is Champions League qualification, then considering who else is in contention and what Arsenal have shown us then I'm comfortable saying they will not get it via the league.

You are only 2 points worse off from last season so far, but you are 6 places lower with teams below you still to make up games. If anything it is looking like Arsenal will have to really outperform last season... despite having less goals in the team?

9. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    This seemed to perfectly encapsulate what many expected going into the season from both teams.

Arsenal good defensively under Arteta but lacking going forward and Leeds not being able to take their chances but largely dominating the game

I don’t think either would’ve been unhappy with a point going into it though

10. LUFCAndy

LUFCAndy Registered User

Supports:
    Leeds
    probably not going into it, but i was dissapointed at half time not to be ahead, and certainly am after the game.

Donnyrovers90 likes this.
  11. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I think 4th will be lower than 66 points this term.

I can only say this so many times but this season will be a long, hard slog. Title contenders will turn into top 6 pretenders in the space of 2 weeks. And struggling sides will turn into contenders in the same time. Look at United. They looked *awful* against Arsenal. Two games later and they’re back up in position eyeing up a CL spot.

If what you’re saying is Arsenal need to improve I 100% agree with you. But at the same time, I’m certainly not writing ourselves off yet.

12. MrE

MrE kevin lasagna

Supports:
    On your point about United, that isn't anything new for them under Solksjaer tbf. That was pretty much the story of their season last season and it will be again.

And I agree, it will be a slog and of course you don't write a side off - especially if you support them - I just really struggle to see what Arsenal are about right now. Aubameyang's form is concerning, and nobody else is making up those goals.

No other top 4 contender has this issue imo, only United come close.

13. Casanova85

Casanova85 Registered User

Supports:
    FC Barcelona, Manchester United, Brazil NT
    Two shite teams.

0-0.

14. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    I know. I'm just trying to maintain a positive outlook. I don't want us to slip into a routine of sacking the manager every 12 months. We as a club need a period of stability.

- We're on our third manager in just over 2 years
    - We've gone from Wenger having total control to creating a group of people to oversee matters.
    - Every single member of that original group (Gazidis, Sanllehi, Mislintat, Fahmy) bar one are now all gone.

We need to just keep things calm for a while. If that means missing out on the CL a few more seasons, so be it. It'll be better in the long run. We couldn't even rip it up and start from scratch this summer :laugh: