1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Leicester vs Manchester United

Discussion in 'Premier League Match Threads' started by Tornado, Oct 11, 2021.

1. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Ronaldo isn't the problem just like he wasn't the guy to win us the title.

Silver Red and StretfordEnd like this.
  2. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip
    I agree with this too but do think signing him over a midfielder was a problem.

upper90 and The Doc like this.
  3. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Probably will turn up against Liverpool and City.

Everytime Ole is under the microscope and the dreaded run arrives, the performances seem to return.

4. Pagnell

Pagnell MISERABLE C**T

Supports:
    FSG F**KING OFF
    Said this some weeks back. He has come in and scored goals, even though he does virtually f**k all else. But in trying to shoehorn him into the team no matter what, it appears to have destroyed what little dynamic was in the team last season, especially for Fernandez who looks to be a shadow of the player he was last season at the moment.

But saying that, there is no way in hell they will play as shite as they did yesterday next weekend.

5. Frosty

Frosty Champions Of Europe

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think what you'll find is, you'll find a dynamic team that works, everything goes a lot better, then as soon as you add a player that tries to make it about himself, you'll find that dynamic changes.

He is a fantastic player, he will get you goals, but midfield was the key area that needed reinforcements.

6. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Actually what you’ll find is, they have a crap coach (is he even a coach?).
    A better coach/manager could get enough out of his other players that a single player, especially at striker, isn’t going to be an issue. Lots of teams have a striker that isn’t asked to press or get involved in the defensive part of the game so they can be an outlet and finish things.

Maybe there’s too much focus on Ronaldo, because last time I looked Fernandes, Sancho, Greenwood and Pogba aren’t noted for their defensive work off the ball either. And they all started.

7. Pagnell

Pagnell MISERABLE C**T

Supports:
    FSG F**KING OFF
    Absolutely, but what I'm looking at is a direct comparison to before he arrived and how the team was playing then. Of course, there are other factors.

8. Chrysalis

Chrysalis deleted

Supports:
    Leicester City
    He was a passenger in this game, maybe he played better for you in other games, but if that was our striker I would be livid, its as if he is just standing there waiting for the perfect feeder pass to score from. Can your team carry him?

Cavani actually hassles other team defenders and is involved in buildup.

9. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I hope so, but our luck is bound to run out in these games sooner or later.

10. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Yeah very true. It's going to be interesting viewing these next few games.

11. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
  12. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United, Detroit City FC
    Short answer: no. Everything people say he's done well is the exact job description of a Director of football, not a manager

Andy likes this.
  13. mattamomo

mattamomo Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    United fans through the transfer window: Ronaldo doesn't change the fact our midfield is a shambles, Liverpool and City have a far better spine so a title is still not likely

Rival fans: nah that's an excuse.

Forward a few weeks:

Rival fans: wow that midfield is poor, really should have been addressed

:laugh:

Its almost like we know our sides weakness or something...

14. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Yeah, it’s a short Norwegian bloke.

Leivapool likes this.
  15. mattamomo

mattamomo Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Certainly the argument to be had.

But I maintain, a side whos best midfield features Fred and McTom is not winning the title. Not at least with the quality present in Liverpool and City's spine.
    To suggest it should was ludicrous in the first place.

I think Ole's got himself under serious pressure. But at the same time I can't argue against some of the questionable things this season from him.
    For instance having a new player to the league out of position in Sancho. Seems bad, but with Rashford out and Greenwood coming off the back of a season out wide right it is the logical decision, I can't really argue against it even if it seems frustrating.
    Our defence has been struck with early issues with new players arriving and injuries, so once again I see why he is trusting whats worked best before.
    The biggest issue with our side is the disconnect stemming from midfield. We have tried a fair few options and none are cutting it.

When Varane and Rashford are both back heavily featured we will get a clearer picture of what the side shapes up to be. But no doubt the pressure is on in the meantime.

Ole has to make some big calls. If I were him I'd drop Pogba and Maguire, experiment with that midfield and try Lindelof paired with Varane who compliment each others styles and should allow for a more adventurous midfield.
    We will see how he reacts In the coming weeks.

Though saying that, if it isn't McFred I don't know what other midfield is best.

McTom and VDB could be trialled but from what I've seen VDB doesn't have the discipline to dictate from a strict midfield position and would want to occupy Fernandes' space. Pogba is a big no as he's show every time we try to get him to resemble an actual midfielder etc.

16. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    To imagine he's going to drop 2 players that cost a combined £170 million is pie in the sky. Players who need to be dropped certainly include Pogba, but we saw earlier in the season that if he's freed from any defensive duties he can contribute. We've bought Sancho for the deficiency we have on the right, but he's playing on the left. We bought Wan-Bissaka to tighten up the defence but he's a liability in his defensive positioning and going forward. Ronaldo has come back but we have to bear in mind he's not the Ronaldo who left, he's 36 and he won't be running back to recover possession (even the 26 year old who left in his prime didn't do that).

I'd suggest Solskjaer tries playing players in their correct positions, tries making the odd sub when things aren't working, stops being afraid to drop or sub his favourites and gives certain players a chance when his favourites are out of form. He should also show the door to any players that either won't sign a new deal (Pogba/Lingard) or who he has no intention of giving game time to, like Van der Beek.

mattamomo likes this.
  17. Foxwell

Foxwell A little bit of the bubbly

Supports:
    Manchester United FC
    Even now or shortly when Rashford is back, the problem with playing Sancho in his preferred position on the wide right is that Greenwood is playing well out there. It'll be nice to have the options when everyone is fit, but as has been pointed out numerous times, Ole needs to start dropping some star names in order to actually make a team out of what we have.

I don't think you'd want anyone else but Ronaldo when it comes to burying chances coming into the box (if any), but then there's Cavani sat on the bench doing sweet FA when he's probably our most energetic presser and a brilliant goal threat in his own right.

The midfield conundrum has rattled on for far too long, frankly I'm sick of talking about it. We're sitting ducks to any team that can press and/or pass.

Silver Red and StretfordEnd like this.
  18. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    That's where Solskjaer has to become a manager - good players are going to have to be benched, if he plays Sancho on the right and he gets his Dortmund form back then Greenwood will have to await his chance. We want a squad with 2 quality players for each position eventually so some of them will have to accept they aren't first choice.

19. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United, Detroit City FC
    Solskjær: “We were not good enough with and without the ball. You have to run, block and tackle and we didn’t do that enough.” #mulive [@ShamoonHafez]

you have to run, block, and tackle. some brilliant tactical insight form our manager. ffs this guy needs to go. he hasn't got a clue.

20. King_Kenny

King_Kenny JUSTICE FOR THE 97!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    :laugh: