1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Liverpool v man utd

Discussion in 'Premier League Match Threads' started by Bic, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    Put it this way, you won't be getting as many late winners with the Moyes Everton mentality. Fergie would have went for the win vs Chelsea and possibly got it.

2. Rich_Le_John

Rich_Le_John In exile

Supports:
    Manchester United, Team Le_John oh and Liverpool
    I don't think that anyone needed to lose their job over that to be honest, that is a little OTT. An apology and explanation would have sufficed. I cannot imagine that person was really that senior, probably some relatively junior individual in the press secretariat.

That one is blinded by hate, then you have got Brian who is biased by love.

3. Iron_Dukem

Iron_Dukem Legendary.

Supports:
    Support: Bath City, Fan: Liverpool
    2-1 with Moyes chewing gum.

4. t0v3

t0v3 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Now Ferguson has retired you're happy to praise him and say he'd have won a fixture that he's lost and drawn in previous years. When he was still manager it was always "Ferguson controls the FA and refs, lucky United again, Fergie time won you the game" etc etc etc. You just change your opinion to suit your boring biased agenda and it's really sad

5. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    Do we really have to go through this bickering nonsense again?

6. Rich_Le_John

Rich_Le_John In exile

Supports:
    Intentional or Freudan?

What do you think'll happen tomorrow, Mach?

7. tottivillarossi

tottivillarossi ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Utd's likely line up:

De Gea
    Jones Rio Vidic Evra
    Valencia Cleverley Carrick Welbeck
    Rooney
    Van Persie​

8. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    We're going through a mini defensive crisis and even at the best of times I'd struggle to see us keeping Van Persie out. Narrow United win or draw. 2-2 or something like that.

From our point of view, if Coutinho can find space and feed Sturridge, we've got a chance. Speaking of whom, how is he viewed in Brazil Rich? Was a bit surprised to see him left out of the Confederations cup squad.

9. stallion

stallion Registered User

No I'm an avid Man United fan but I meant that I've got some feelings for Liverpool for having studied in the city !! Hopefully United will win 2-1

10. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat Moysies Red & White Army

Supports:
    Man United
    In 16 games v Mourinho, Ferguson won twice. Twice. Mourinho always had his number tactically - I'd go as far as to suggest Fergie wouldn't have been able to go for it v. Chelsea because the game may well have been put to bed already.

I was a bit disappointed with Moyes throwing Giggs on was maybe settling for the draw; but at the end of the day he started with 3 strikers actually playing positively which made a change from Ferguson's tactics. I'm not going to crucify the feller over one game when he's got what was ultimately a very credible point against Chelsea (I've been over all this in the match thread).

Anyway, of all the talk on tactics - Rogers has to be looked at. When Plan A doesn't work, things look iffy. We saw it last season with the amount of games Liverpool couldn't break through in and we saw it against Notts County where stronger opposition would have punished Liverpool for their profligacy. If United's approach isn't working - we can change it up. Liverpool don't tend to do that; and our strikers are much more clinical whichever way you look at it. Can't see past 3 points for United in this one tbh.

11. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    That's an unfair and quite frankly, incorrect statement to make regarding Rodgers.

Rodgers has developed as a manager very well in the short time he's been with us. The main reason we struggled to break through sides and he didn't make the necessary changes to try and change the game, was because we didn't have the players to change games much of the season.

#71 MrLeeLemon, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2013
  12. TheNumberNine

TheNumberNine New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool FC
    you do realise fergie is dead right and you have some other haggis eating manager instead right ? i dont think moyes has the dominance of the refs fa like fergie did..

13. KeanosMagicHat

Supports:
    Man United
    I'm not trying to bash on Rodgers, it's a simple statement of fact. If the game isn't going your way (whether it's because the keeper is having a blinder, you keep hitting the post or you're dominating possession but not creating chances) there's not a lot he's done in the past (or will be able to do on Sunday) that changes that. Maybe that will change over the coming years as he brings different players in, but it's not going to change by Sunday.

United, by contrast, have a much more options in terms of how they can attack (in my opinion at least) and they are more clinical, that's a statement of fact.

One of the more pitiful freudian slips I've seen...

14. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    At the end of the day you can lead the horses to water but they have to drink for themselves. Rodgers can't do much about wasted chances, they have to put them away. The only thing I'd say about Rodgers would be the defence but he's brought in two good CBs so hopefully that will change. Plus two clean sheets thus far. Actually also in the 2nd half in all 3 games the foot has been taken off the pedal 2nd half. Must be the shittest half time team talks ever.

As for Moyes the manager dictates the clubs mentality. The standards could well drop if he brings too much of his Everton thinking. which is all he's known for over a decade.

15. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Rodgers took over a side that finished 8th. Moyes is taking over the champions. Of course you have more players that can change a game. Whether Moyes, as a manager, is able to get the most out of such players and employ the right tactics to change the game is another thing. Didn't seem to have a way to change things against Chelsea?

I like to think Rodgers' in-game management is good. With improvements with the squad depth, he will be able to then turn those games we control and don't win, into wins. A stereotype of Rodgers' management is always used, much like the 'Allen can only pass sideways or backwards' crap.

Question, If an opposition keeper is having a blinder, what can a manager do about that tactically anyway?! If your players are getting shots away and forcing great saves out the keeper, everything is being done right tactically IMO. What would 'Plan B' even be in this instance? Get a player to take the keeper out as your forward is taking a shot?

#75 MrLeeLemon, Aug 31, 2013
  16. KeanosMagicHat

Supports:
    Man United
    Aye, and this is a match thread specifically about the game on Sunday. We're the Champions, we have more match winning players, and therefore it's my prediction that we will win.

Regarding Chelsea; it didn't seem Mourinho had a way to change things against us - and he's supposedly one of the greatest managers in the business at the moment

I'm not doubting that with the right additions and with enough time Rodgers will be a success at Liverpool; what I'm saying is thus far, he hasn't made all those additions and as a result his tactics will still suffer because he has no plan B to revert to. Again, this is about the match on Sunday. Tomorrow. Not whether Rodgers will be a long term success :S

I can speak with some authority on this as teams did it to us week in week out last season. De Gea has a blinder stopping shots because his reflexes are unbelievable; so teams tried something different. Pressure from corners, standing long balls up right under his nose and generally getting into his face; and 9 times out of 10, it worked for the opposition and he got flustered and lost his nerve. Granted he's better now, but you see my point.

This generally isn't something Liverpool do, they rely on the same approach throughout and then at the end its 'we would have got the points/a lot more goals if we didnt hit the post so many times/if the keeper didnt turn into buffon all of a sudden'. Will that change in the future? Possibly? Will Rodgers over time sign players who give him more options either as game winners or people who play differently from Suarez/Sturridge/Coutinho etc? Possibly. But ultimately, that's all irrelevant because this is a thread about the game tomorrow and everything I've seen last season and this season (even though its only just started) suggests that Rodgers doesn't have a comprehensive plan B yet, and that United's forward line up will be too clinical for Liverpool to get anything out of the game.

17. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    What is United's Plan B, if RVP and Rooney aren't offering much?

Last game against us you could see a 'Plan B' of sorts forming. We brought Sturridge on, switched to 4-2-3-1 scored a goal and got into the game. Before then, we weren't near it at all. Same again, the other way, against Spurs at Anfield. Switched to 4-3-3 and ended up winning.

Unfortunately, we are without our best player tomorrow and haven't made the expected marquee attacking signing this summer. Tactically Rodgers can change it, issue for is is the players. And we do agree you have the better depth. Whether that ends up being decisive tomorrow, we'll see.

But tactically, Rodgers can get it right and will switch the system if need be. He's certainly not the one system manager people make out he is.

#77 MrLeeLemon, Aug 31, 2013
  18. Rich_Le_John

Rich_Le_John In exile

Supports:
    Kagawa?

I fancy Sturrdge to score and United to win.

19. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Is Hernandez about?

20. tottivillarossi

tottivillarossi ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Injured.