1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liverpool vs Man City

Discussion in 'Premier League Match Threads' started by Muller, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    People are so apathetic to City that a conversation regarding Scottish football has broken out in their place :laugh:

The Doc, SALTIRE and MrE like this.
  2. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Slavia Prague didn't beat Barcelona though, only have won group stage win in their history and have every chance of getting a hiding at the Nao Camp. You get the odd result, and Rodgers has had those, drawing at home to Man. City, away to Man. City and away to Borussia Monchengladbach. If you look at the overall group stage records of all pot four clubs they'll read poorly, and if you look at the current Champions League groups they're nearly all bottom of their current groups.

They haven't lost those games because of their manager, they've lost them because man for man Barcelona, PSG and Bayern are significantly better than them in every position. His performances in the Champions League at Celtic aren't a stain on his career at all, just like the Sparta Prague's manager wont be looked at badly if he loses his remaining games in the group stage. He had a poor season at Liverpool in the Champions League where he didn't meet expectation, but at Celtic he won his qualifying games and achieved what was expected which has helped Celtic to be in a far better financial position then when he took over the club in 2016.

3. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    So? The Slavia Prague manager took his side away to the Nou Camp and left with a result - as opposed to a record 7-0 thrashing.

He achieved the bare minimum with them in the competition and not a tiny bit more and embarrassed the club when it mattered whilst he did it. The same with us - though it wasn't even the bare minimum.

But to get the thread back on track. Getting a result against City in Europe is nothing special...

4. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Celtic aren't going to be judged on their performances away at Barcelona, and they shouldn't be.

He didn't achieve the bare minimum in Europe, he met expectation. The bare minimum would be to get to the Europa League group stages, as they have done more often then not in recent history. Results against City in Europe are a lot harder when you've got a team that costs less than £7 million. He didn't get a result at the Nao Camp, that's not a stain on his managerial career :laugh:

5. Leivapool

Leivapool Arrogantly inferior.

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Glad we kept Lovren.

SALTIRE likes this.
  6. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Just seen the highlights 100% handball.

City robbed.

SALTIRE likes this.
  7. Jockney

Jockney Bomber Jackett

Supports:
    Millwall
    So many words and so much emotional energy invested in basically saying that Rodgers did a decent enough job at Liverpool but he’s improved massively as a manager since.

SALTIRE likes this.
  8. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Slàinte mhath!

Supports:
    Joe Gomez
    On Morelos he really would be an excellent signing for Villa or especially Palace. He's a nasty competitive bugger who the fans will love and his movement will suit very well with Zaha's trickery. He was linked with PSG last season until they went out and got Icardi and it does seem likely he wants a January move and at 20 mill he would be a bargain for anyone who bags him.

9. StillHurts31

StillHurts31 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    :laugh:

:laugh: yeah I walked into that one.

Kirby and The Doc like this.
  10. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    A football discussion on a football forum, whatever next? A Millwall fan with an ASBO?

Cotterill:49 likes this.
  11. Jockney

Jockney Bomber Jackett

Supports:
    Millwall
    Like death, taxes and a Millwall fan with an anachronistic civil sanction, you can always count on a Scouser to get prickly about a load of bollox.

CPFC2010, Schindler, Coys4 and 2 others like this.
  12. Rambo1

Rambo1 Registered User

Supports:
    Hibernian
    Any managerial job where you're expected to win every single game and every competition you enter bar the Champions League has pressure attached.

Ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

It's a different type of pressure to that of Liverpool and Leicester but of course he was under pressure to perform. Celtic have sacked managers for only winning the league.

Cotterill:49 likes this.
  13. Coys4

Coys4 Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I can see why it's not a pen since it deflected off City first. But you still need to stop play and give a free kick at least. (If you're referring to the first goal)

Football Ramble just mentioned a rumor that VAR was not working in the first half and that's why replays were not shown right away. I don't believe it but if it turns out to be true I can't wait to hear the conspiracy theories about how the PL wants Liverpool to win.

14. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip
    I blame @miss_lfc and her irrational hatred of Leicester for the state of this thread.

SALTIRE likes this.
  15. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I don’t know what you mean :laugh:

Muller likes this.
  16. wongers

wongers Registered User

Supports:
    liverpool
  17. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Slàinte mhath!

Supports:
    Joe Gomez
  18. Redpelt

Redpelt Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Tactically Liverpool and in particular Klopp were near enough perfect. Guardiola went into that game with the blinkers firmly on and little daylight found its way through and if I I'm allowed to be candid a certain degree of arrogance. I mean most teams who visit our place have a plan to nullify the potent threat Arnold and Robertson bring to the table ,but Cities manager had no answer and they run riot. It can only be arrogance when you throw on a midfielder clearly not match fit and then play your best midfielder and arguably the catalyst for Cities resolve last season at the back when Otamendi was available. Fabinho just controlled the middle of the park , dictated the pace of the game and broke up the play and distributed the ball with real intelligence the complete midfield performance if you like. The atmosphere was the best I've heard all season and the place bounced from the moment Fabinho let loose with his exocet that left scorch marks on City's onion bag ,from then on it was only a matter of time before we got a hold on the game with a secure enough grip to make the result pretty much predictable. Guardiola got that badly wrong and perhaps when the mist descends that clouds his judgement he may just admit how culpable he was in this defeat.

19. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think Pep summed it up in his post match interview that both teams played to win and it was a fantastic game. I don’t think he shown arrogance in his tactics, I think to come to Anfield and play to win was a positive and the way it should be given the squad qualities.

I do think he should’ve played Otamendi and then Fernandinho in his usual place, but he obviously felt confident in Rodri there and Gundogan (who is usually much better) but they got outclassed massively by one of the best performances that midfield 3 combined have played. And I honestly don’t think there is any nullifying our full backs over a full game.

20. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    I did think it was interesting that Angelino was left pretty much with Salah, Henderson and Alexander-Arnold to deal with. Looked at the heat maps for the teams and Rodri or Gundogan were barely across to help him out. All 3 focused their play down the right to good effect as shown by the second and third goals.