1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Luton V Boro... Here we go lads

Discussion in 'Championship' started by borobob, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Think, McFly. Think.

Supports:
    Toronto FC, Stoke City
    A whopper from their keeper and a goal with 5 minutes left...

Things are looking up for Boro with Jonathan Woodgate.

2. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    We didn’t score a goal with 5 minutes left...

3. Daz_Blade

Daz_Blade Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United, Real Betis
    I'd rather draw 3-3 than 0-0 every single day of the week. There's a reason managers like Pulis etc aren't in demand anymore and teams like Brighton have moved on from Hughton.

I've seen my share of managers like that here and it absolutely drains the life out of you.

Papa Francesco likes this.
  4. LordMegson

LordMegson Registered User

Supports:
    WBA
    Some poor ****ers will end up with pulis. I'll go with Sheffield Wednesday before Christmas

5. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Yes it has, how many managers who park the bus succeed anymore?

6. borobob

borobob Registered User

The reality is the game shoukd of finished 4-2 with the penalty but the draw wasnt terrible. Our back 4 probably only had Ayala in it that will be there every week, Shotton, Howson and maybe Coulson won't start there when we get a RB Fry is fit and Bola gets up to speed so I ain't too worried about conceding 3 goals. I am just chuffed we looked completely different, it was fantastic entertainment.

7. smogtilldeath

smogtilldeath Registered User

Supports:
    the 1 and only mighty boro
    Funnily enough we will finish lower than last season too . So it won’t be a million times better, will it? Performances mean jack shit , it’s where you finish that matters.

As I said, this club needs to be back in the prem. I don’t care if that’s being defensive as shit , or attacking, but our fans demanding attacking football are already complaining that we look vulnerable at the back . Surprise surprise, that’s the reality of the football you demand . All teams that are promoted have mean arse defences, we don’t have that.

You will find we are more successful as a club when we play defensively . Not attacking.

8. smogtilldeath

Supports:
    I can’t be arsed to check the thread but you claimed no one is willing to take a punt on houghton ? A manager who has taken 2 clubs up and successfully kept both clubs up against the odds?

The same people turn their noses up at warnock too. Arguably the most successful championship manager of all time . Rather have those managers in charge who have proven pedigrees than a rookie manager non entity who promises attacking football but gets us nowhere

9. Daz_Blade

Supports:
    I said that it's the reason Hughton was sacked by Brighton. There's only so long people can put up with negative football every week.

Warnock is hardly defensive. He has his flaws but his teams were always entertaining for us.

10. smogtilldeath

Supports:
    We’ll see won’t we? Brighton compared to other clubs have limited resources in the premier league . Being defensive is the only way to be competitive to some clubs . Telling Brighton to play attacking football against the likes of Man Utd , Man City etc is just asking to to get your arse tanned. That’s what the bigger teams will want you to do.

Hilarious really, takes a team up and keeps them there and suddenly the club thinks it’s bigger than him . I thought it was a joke to sack him, but time will tell.

I remember Bournemouth not even registering a shot on goal last season against city at home in a 1-0 defeat . Should Bournemouth sack Eddie Howe now, because he wasn’t attacking enough?

#70 smogtilldeath, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  11. Daz_Blade

Supports:
    Well obviously you have to do it against them. When you're doing it against Watford and Bournemouth etc then it becomes unacceptable. I'd rather be down here attacking than doing that every week!

The club didn't think it was bigger than him at all. @BleedsIsDead explained the situation brilliantly when the time came. Eventually you have to start trying to do more than aim to finish 17th every year and to do that you need to be more expansive against lower sides.

BleedsIsDead likes this.
  12. smogtilldeath

Supports:
    They’ve had 2 seasons in the premier league for goodness sake, they’re not an established premier league side. A lot of clubs are bloody relegated in their 2nd season (cough cough Huddersfield ) . I can understand when you’ve been in the premier league for like 5 seasons , but that isn’t Brighton. They also got quite far in the fa cup last season.

As I said , they’ll soon whinge enough when their more attack minded manager could be causing them to languish in the relegation zone.

Houghton didn’t seem defensive when they were in the championship , maybe it was being pragmatic with the situation they were in ?

13. Daz_Blade

Supports:
    Nobody's saying he did a bad job though? Just that he played defensive football. They wanted to be more open next year and he didn't want to play that way so he was removed.

What I'm saying is that people generally want to see their team take the game to the opposition and look to score goals, particularly now ticket prices are through the roof.

14. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead Pints x Packet x Potter

Supports:
    BHAFC
    I’m going to take everything you’ve said with a pinch of salt seeming you can’t even spell the blokes name correctly. Strange how many people feel they’re in a position to talk about his sacking but don’t even know his name.

There are probably half a dozen reasons why Hughton was let go. But I’ll try and keep it brief.

- Poor results. We won 3 of our last 23 league games. A run of form which would have seen so almost any manager in the football league sacked.

- Terrible, negative football. We went 11 hours without scoring & had a consecutive run of 8 games where we managed no more than one shot on target.

- Unwillingness to deviate tactics that were clearly not working or take any risk on the personnel used, with incredibly talented on form youngsters being ignored in favour of older, more experienced players who hadn’t played well in months

- A complete inability to get the best out of new players, despite us having one of the highest gross spends in the country since promotion to the Prem (~120M ish)

- A complete lack of tactical flexibility, which would see us make like for like changes, even when losing and persevering with tactics that might make sense when drawing against a big team but made no sense when you’re trailing (1-0 down with 5 minutes to go and having 11 men in your own box to defend a corner for example).

FWIW, we got to an FA Cup Semi final due to an unbelievably kind draw. We beat Bournemouth, West Brom, Derby & Millwall. West Brom took us to extra time in the replay and Millwall capitulated after being 2-0 up in the 88th minute. That run and a double over Palace papered over a lot of cracks actually and are probably the only reason he was kept until the end of the season.

In our two championship seasons under Hughton we scored 146 goals in 92 games. So what, 1.5 goals a game? It’s far from terrible but we were never an attacking team. Even in the year we went up there were warning signs, with 60 of our 74 league goals coming from just 4 players, showing that we were very reliant on the individual quality of Murray, Knockaert etc.

My motivation towards football reached its lowest point last year. Seeing your team devoid of any talent and scrapping around at the bottom end of L1 is depressing, but nothing came close to last season. I would 100% hand on heart rather see us relegated this year (which I don’t think we will be) than sit through another season of Hughton football. The only upside was realising how pony we were on and backing teams to beat us to 0 and making a small fortune before the bookies clocked on.

Some people may be happy to watch their team get promoted to the Prem and grind out 38 0-0 draws and stay up on goal difference. And there’s nothing wrong with that. But another season of watching clearly talented players hamstrung in a completely unsuitable “just don’t concede” formation would have probably killed my love for the game.

Hughton is a great manager; and the frustrating thing is the few times he took the shackles off we looked a f*cking good team in the Prem; putting 3 past Man.U in the first half at the start of the season shows that. However he hits a peek and then reverts in to his shell and that point there’s only one way it’s heading and it’s not up.

Sacking him was 100% the right decision whether we stay up or not.

15. rogue

rogue Guest

Another major talking point was that Hughton never gave youth a chance despite Bloom spending millions on the academy and bringing in kids with talent.
    I see you mentioned that. People like that Boro fan haven't got a clue. Best ignored.

#75 rogue, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2019
  16. borobob

borobob Registered User

That is your opinion, definitely not mine. even if we did it is exactly the same result.. No promotion , but with a lot more entertainment. You clearly have an agenda , it is obviously going to be a season of transition but it was obvious for me on Friday going to be a season of passion ,effort and good football. As for being in the prem and performances meaning nothing, Why do you even watch football? Were you happy with the last 2-3 years?

17. smogtilldeath

Supports:
    I was happy under karanka, a defensive coach. Despite being a defensive manager, we still had exciting seasons. Karanka came with a wealth of experience from real madrid, woodgate came from pretty much............nothing. Pulis last season was dire, but you're forgetting we sold traore, gibson and bamford that season. We also had a massive shit transfer window. That wasn't pulis' fault that villa seemed to pip us to every signing he wanted.

Sorry but passion means shit if we're getting our arses handed to us week in and out. Leo can thump his chest as much as he wants, but if the results don't go woodgate's way, fans will soon turn. There is

18. borobob

borobob Registered User

I loved Karankas football, it wasn't dull in any way , some of the best I've seen at Boro. he came with some experience, we were still his 1st management job, just like Woodgate.
    Do you think the reason we had a shit transfer season has anything to do with the fact nobody wanted to play for Pulis? Would you of wanted to, especially as a creative or attacking player...For me it was Pulis' fault, he just couldn't attract anybody.

You're last bit is just you being pessimistic again, you seem to think we are gonna get beat every week when the reality is we will be somewhere near where we were last year.

Papa Francesco likes this.
  19. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Well at least give the bloke more than one game!!!!!

borobob likes this.
  20. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Think, McFly. Think.

Supports:
    Toronto FC, Stoke City
    I got to enjoy my clubs 600+ minute goal drought.. Mind you it was only our second season, I don't think we understood the objective. We weren't parking the bus.

But I'd rather have Pulis than Woodgate.