1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manager of the season

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by DunblaneWolf, May 8, 2019.

1. jameslfc11

jameslfc11 Benitez = Legend, Fact!

Supports:
    liverpool
    I'm pretty sure this is PL manager of the season? the cup competitions should not come into account otherwise they would have waited until all competitions ended.

Hence why I didn't bring up our CL campaign, my views are based on the league alone.

2. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja witty unpredictable talent and natural game

Supports:
    West Ham United
    And pep won the league yet again with the 2nd ever highest points tally. Klopp was a very close 2nd and part of your views are due to your bias, you just won’t admit it.
    How many non Liverpool fans on here agree with you?

Schindler and Daz_Blade like this.
  3. Daz_Blade

Daz_Blade Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United, Real Betis
    I think the fact that Klopp did so well to get Liverpool close makes Pep's achievement with Man City this season even better. To get another points haul like that and not cave in to the constant pressure was unbelievable.

Whoever won the league out of the race deserved to win manager of the season, it's that simple.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  4. jameslfc11

Supports:
    liverpool
    Like I said to close a 25 point gap to 1 point and be literally one goal away from winning the league and going the season unbeaten, all while having a lesser squad to City is an incredible achievement.

I have seen other people who do not support Liverpool say Klopp but I guess they're biased as well :rolleyes I'm not gonna accuse you of being a Liverpool hater just because you think Pep deserves it, you're entitled to your opinion. I just don't think it's that far-fetched to think Klopp deserved it.

SALTIRE and Nodnerb like this.
  5. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Point them out them pal? If you go back only a few pages almost all of your fellow lpool fans are saying pep
    Nothing wrong with having a bias towards your team, most do. Just sad you can’t admit it

:laugh: So if you’d have scored 1 more goal you’d have won the league? Nonsense. What you mean is if you hadn’t been beaten by the team that won the league!

Schindler likes this.
  6. Ajjaro

Ajjaro Registered User

Supports:
    Good Football
    Let's keep it simple.

Liverpool took 1 Point out of a possible 6 from City.

City TOOK the league from them, coming from 10 points behind (at one point), and finishing the year with the longest season ending win streak in history to take the title (14 wins)

2nd highest points total in history (behind city of last year)
    2nd highest goal differential in history (behind city of last year)
    2nd longest winning streaking in history (behind city of last year)

On top of all this, Man City's best player has been injured most of the season, everyone talks about their depth, but lets be honest, from time to time midfield looks flat without him and clearly everyone else in the lineup is a downgrade from a healthy de bruyne.

The team operates in a system heavily reliant on attacking fullbacks yet has played for two years now with a CM and CAM in the LB fullback position. Somehow pep managed to turn them into decent defenders.

How can you possibly argue with that?

Ben Dover, gate17 and Jonny Ninja like this.
  7. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Honestly there is no way you can argue with that post? It’s even more impressive than I initially thought. Take nothing from the mickeys and Klopp though. He ‘just’ lost out on the award to maybe the best manager in a generation. Fantastic coach and maybe the most likeable person in football right now

8. jonesch

jonesch Narcissistic Sports Pimp.

Supports:
    Manchester United
  9. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    Imagine thinking De Bruyne is better than Silva.

miss_lfc likes this.
  10. Ajjaro

Ajjaro Registered User

Supports:
    Good Football
    You think a 33 year old Silva is better than healthy 27 year old De Bruyne?

11. BoroWill

BoroWill Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    Bernardo

12. Ajjaro

Ajjaro Registered User

Supports:
    Good Football
    That’s a tough one isn’t it...

Bernardo is one of my favourite players, top quality, top mentality.

I wouldn’t say De Bruyne offers a lot more than him, but I would say that De Bruyne has attributes the other Players don’t that City missed during the season.

Specifically long range passing, vision and shooting.

Granted city spend most of the game parked in the final 1/3rd and Bernardo can be deadly in the pocket, then again so can sterling, and aguero.

City have trouble destroying a team in transition play without De Bruyne, their counter was far more deadly with him on the field due to his long range passing ability and vision.

City doesn’t have any players who are as deadly as him shooting from 30 yards out to grab a goal against a team that’s parking the bus either, a situation they find themselves in most of the season.

#332 Ajjaro, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
  13. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    I'm talking about David.

Any time I watch city play, he's still the one that makes them tick.

14. Ajjaro

Ajjaro Registered User

Supports:
    Good Football
    So if we're comparing the 2 Silva and De Bruyne, the KPIs are crucial, it's hard to split them visually as they are all outstanding players that can be decisive on the day.

To start, one key performance indicator that's the bottom line of everything that comes after this is MOTM awards.

A healthy De Bruyne last year produced 8 MOTM, David Silva has produced 5 in the last 2 yeas while Bernardo Silva has produced 5 in the last 2 years.

Section Summary: B.Silva & D. Silva (2017-2018, 2018-2019) De Bruyne (2017-2018)

- B.Silva 46 games - 5 MOTM - Man of the Match in 11% of the matches he plays in

- D.Silva 56 games - 5 MOTM - Man of the Match in 9% of the matches he plays in

- De Bruyne - 36 games - 8 MOTM - man of the Match in 22% of the matches he plays in

I spoke earlier about the difference in De Bruyne's playing style that cannot be replaced in the City team, and that's supported by the KPI below.
    Again, i'm not saying De Bruyne is a world of difference in quality compared to the other 2, however, his playing style is different and adds a dimension that's more or less absent without him.

- De Bruyne plays 3x as many long balls as D.Silva and 2x as many long balls as B.Silva
    - De Bruyne produces 50% more Key Passes than either B. Silva or D. Silva
    - De Bruyne produces 5x as many successful crosses as B. Silva and 3x as many successful crosses as D. Silva.
    - De Bruyne takes 70% more shots per game than D.Silva or B. Silva and 3x as many from outside the box.

In a bubble these stats make De Bruyne seem like a far superior player to both Silva, but highlight the long range nature of De Bruyne's game and difference in his playing style.

Both Silva have superior stats to De Bruyne in short range passing, pass %, activity and dribbles in the box.

City don't have replacements for De Bruyne or Fernandinho that will replicate their playing style with the same efficacy. Gundogan, D. Silva & B. Silva can be directly compared with each other in both playing style and KPI however.

15. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    I agree. KDB is manager of the season.

DeadlyDemon, Schindler and Ajjaro like this.
  16. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead The Lion of Judah

Supports:
    BHAFC
    Arguing that a player is better because he’s won more MOTM awards? Hahahahaha

More new lows for this forum.

17. Ajjaro

Ajjaro Registered User

Supports:
    Good Football
    Seems as if you missed the point and didn't read past the first line, not surprising on this forum.

This divergence into a De Bruyne discussion happened because I mentioned the adaptations Guardiola (as Manager of the Season) had to make in the playing style of the team due to having no natural LB and the injuries of De Bruyne.

18. jameslfc11

Supports:
    liverpool
    Here's a few in favour of Klopp from the first 5 or 6 pages.

Yes, they beat us by one goal at the Etihad and that has been the difference, it's really not that hard.

It's just an opinion mate, it's all subjective. At the end of the day Pep won it and he has taken this City side to ridiculous levels so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Klopp will just have to win the league next season :D

19. Schindler

Schindler Registered twat

Supports:
    Huddersfield Town
    Mine was not serious btw.

20. Schindler

Schindler Registered twat

Supports:
    Huddersfield Town
    Kepa should get it IMO. In all seriousness I think it should go to pochettino.