1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Match day thread

Discussion in 'Championship' started by HappilyLost, Jan 16, 2021.

1. HappilyLost

HappilyLost Registered User

Supports:
    Millwall
    I dont really wanna start a thread with Forest/Millwall as there will probably only be 3/4 posts, so open this up for all games.

We look terrible in this game, just lumping it to Zohore who can't do much, we did try to pass it around a bit but Forest were quick to the press which resulted in going back to our keeper who lumped it to Zohore.

We are here for the taking here.

This 5-2-3 formation has to go.

2. HappilyLost

Supports:
    Millwall
    1-0 Forest;

Deserved lead for them, Forest haven't been amazing but they haven't had to be. Certainly a case of you can only beat whats in front of you and we have been terrible.

Good shot by Ameobi though, he had a decent shot in the first 10 minutes and had the keeper scrambling, this time he found the corner.

Alex Pearce has been a disaster for us and looking out of his depth.

Mcnamara is looking comfortable again in this division which is nice to have a good right back coming through.

At least I'm going to see us attack now for some excitement!

I think we will have a chance of getting a point from this game, because Chris Houghton is the manager, Nottm Forest just sitting back since going 1 nil up.

#2 HappilyLost, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  3. HappilyLost

Supports:
    Millwall
    Forest sat back whole second half making our performance look better than it actually was.

Great hit by Ameobi to put Forest 2 nil up on the 70th minute.

Game over.

If we continue with 5-2-3, we will be sucked into a relegation battle. Too many players in that system having no effect on the game, while Parrott on the left wing is like playing with 10 men making the system even more ineffective.

Time to start looking over our shoulders at the bottom 3 and trying to work out which team is worse than us to take up the final relegation spot. I will be disappointed if we win the next FA cup game; or even put out a full 11. We should be throwing that game, the FA Cup offers us nothing this year with no fans, while getting relegated would be a disaster.

4. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    We already have one of these general match day threads mate - General Match Day chat

Don't know who started it last time but it didn't seem to work :whistle;)

5. HappilyLost

Supports:
    Millwall
    haha :D :D I think a Swansea fan started one 3/4 weeks ago as well. Not enough activity really I guess in general on this forum.

You can change the title to Forest v Millwall if you want :D

3-0 now, not been watching since the second goal, if we line up in same formation in the next game then I will be changing my mind that Rowett has to go, it's not been working for a while. We concede too many chances, and create next to nothing from open play. It's not a good combination, if we played 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 at least we'd have more chances of winning games, rather than this negative play for the draw football which has resulted in 1 win in 14 (that win was more to do with Bristol City being generous rather than us deserving it).

Tomohawk likes this.
  6. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Not my area to change things here! I was actually just thinking about digging that other thread out and posting in it when I saw yours and then when I checked and saw you'd started the previous one as well I couldn't help but comment :D

You are right though, the activity in the Championship forum has nosedived this season - quite ironic really considering it was said that the removal of a certain thread in this section would improve things.....

Anyway, despite the fact that we have just conceded (and providing we don't totally **** this up in the next 5 minutes), Forest just shot out of the traps today and that is something we have slowly been building up in recent weeks. The big difference this week is quite simply that we've taken a few punts at goal from around the edge of the box and that is not something we've done too much of previously, instead trying to work everything into the box first. We have definitely been improving dramatically over recent weeks, starting in defence - I think that is something like 3 goals conceded in the last 7 league games or something like that - and now today we have shown that our forward players can actually pose a threat. I keep saying that instead of panic buys in January we should be giving the likes of Mighten a go and he has been excellent, yet again, today. He's got that young naivety about him that allows him to play the game as he probably did as a schoolboy - just get the ball, turn and face your opponents and just run at them.

I doubt Millwall will get sucked into the relegation fight but it won't be all that pretty with the players on show today. Some man mountains finishing the match for Millwall today and really there is only one sort of tactic to play with players like that - and it is not tippy tappy football :laugh:

HappilyLost likes this.
  7. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    @Super_horns would it be worth pinning this thread (or one of the other general match day threads) to keep them in people's eye line?

Super_horns likes this.
  8. HappilyLost

Supports:
    Millwall
    We have the players to be mid-table.

But our only wins this season have come against Rotherham, Wycombe, Luton (were missing a lot of players against us), Bristol City (missing a lot of players against us) and Preston (they were useless).

1 win in 14 games isn't encouraging. In those matches we didn't look like creating chances. Add to the fact that it seems that Spurs must have something written in the contract that Troy Parrott must play meaning we are playing with 10 men nearly every match. He is so far out of his depth, that Im starting to think League One might be too high of a level for him, was a moment today when he mis-kicked the ball 3 times in a row.

Wycombe seem to be going down, even if they repeat their first half form into the second half they will only finish with 30 points.
    Rotherham will be around the bottom.
    Coventry will be around the bottom.

Rotherham and Coventry are both capable though of going on a run to make things interesting for other teams.

Maybe Derby will be affected by the off the field news, and maybe even a points deduction.

We are in the same group as QPR/Birmingham at the moment, could go down, but really shouldn't.

9. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    That seemed nice and comfortable, it's been really slow but Hughton has turned things around bit by bit I actually don't think we'll go down now for the first time in months.

ForestRob likes this.
  10. AVA

AVA Juan Iturbe Fan Club Member

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Does anyone have a manager who would like millions of attacking talent at their disposal?

Because I think ours would be happier with a worse team just so he can justify playing 5 at the ****ing back every ****ing game

11. No-One Likes Us

No-One Likes Us We don't care

Supports:
    Millwall
    We're in dire trouble. Rowett's lucky fans aren't allowed in, 1 win in 15 games.

12. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    @RedDogChris has told me to tell you that you should just go and spend all of that parachute money you have - he didn't want to say so himself ;) :D

RedDogChris likes this.
  13. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    A good day today topped off with that late Rotherham goal - good old Wazza :D :laugh:

RedDogChris likes this.
  14. AVA

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Based on the fact we haven't paid a penny for a player since going down, and raked in about £80m in fees...I would say that parachute money definitely isn't being used for on pitch stuff!

15. HappilyLost

Supports:
    Millwall
    You're still on course for 84 points over the course of the season which is respectable for a team coming down.

This division (and League One) has been littered in the past with clubs who have been relegated from the Premiership who have a terrible summer and end up in the relegation zones/get relegate.

I saw Dave Brooks played again today, he seemed to go quiet against us in the week when he pulled up in the 10th minute with a calf strain. I think any top team who buys him for big money is taking a big gamble as he seems to be a player who will struggle with injuries.

I think having good young players instead of "proven" journeymen has helped that cause, and having a striker who is a good level for this league is always a bonus.

Norwich were just better set up than yourselves to bounce back straight away, same team that stomped this league 2 seasons ago pretty much, under no pressure to sell their top players.

wfctillidie likes this.
  16. AVA

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    It's respectable and I would be happy with it if I thought we weren't constantly pissing points up the wall.

Brooks is nowhere near his best, but he's being wasted out wide and gets lumps kicked out of him there. He should be behind the strikers where he can thread passes and link the play.

I don't expect us to smash the league but I'm tired of us setting up with 5 at the back which doesn't suit us, especially when not even playing the better teams in the league. I don't know the stats, but we must be up there for most points thrown away from winning positions too.

AFCB-Nutter likes this.
  17. Arkwright

Arkwright Barnsleytilidie

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    Swansea at 7.45 for us on SKY. Not very confident, just hopeful of a good game and a battling win. Tough fixture IMO.

18. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Playing pretty crap to be honest, but got in ahead with a long throw. Not good enough as a side to play decent football on tricky pitches, and against a side that puts us under a lot of pressure.

19. HappilyLost

Supports:
    Millwall
    Only watched about 20 minutes, would have been tough to say who was 2nd in the league which is a credit to Barnsley.

Will be frustrated to concede a goal from a long throw though, grinding out results like these in tough away matches for Swansea is what they need to do to finish 2nd. Will be a physiological boost to pull more than 3 points clear of 3rd spot (even though BRentford have the games in hand)

20. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Started second half a lot better, Jamal Lowe's in great form.