1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Match day thread

Discussion in 'Championship' started by HappilyLost, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Ooh-to-be-a...

Ooh-to-be-a... Registered User

Supports:
    Huddersfield town
    I'll give you a wave, I'm back row top tier behind the dugouts!

Trent Mist likes this.
  2. DerbyFanMatt

DerbyFanMatt Persistant underdogs!

I think looking at our setup we knew it would be a battle and we massively rode our luck but got there in the end! Strange seeing your brand of football when you have some very tidy players and you revert to throwing the ball in the box.

good point and onto the next game

3. terrier4eva

terrier4eva Registered User

Supports:
    Huddersfield Town
    We are getting better and better! Some brilliant acquisitions this summer plus having the likes of O’Brien/Toffolo/Koroma back who missed most of the second half of the season.

should have got a point last Sat, this was an excellent reply, we really can be right up there this season.

SamB_SCFC and Ooh-to-be-a... like this.
  4. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Small Fry against The Big Fish

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    I know that feeling !

Are you gifting the opposition easy goals via passing the ball back to them , giving them great chances via free kicks or just simply standing off them a the edge of your penalty box & letting them shoot at will without even bothering to close them down ?

Football basics & half of them look disinterested especially Clarke-Harris.

Will be my 1st ' Live ' match on Saturday since we beat Pompey 2-0 then we got locked down the week after , reckon the Bluenoses will muller us with their Under 16 team atm .

5. Pot de tin

Pot de tin Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Come on, give credit to Reading, lol.

Swift scores again, how on earth will we keep him.

Super_horns likes this.
  6. Madejski

Madejski Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Phew! Weren't amazing but a few pieces of individual skill see us through to a much needed 3 points in what was feeling like an early season relegation 6 pointer.

Still look shaky at the back, but at least we have goals in us.

7 goals and 3 assists in 7 league games for John Swift, he's been fantastic so far this season. We need to wrap him in bubble wrap between games.

7. AVA

AVA Juan Iturbe Fan Club Member

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Fantastic win against a good team who had 12 men.

Hope Keith Stroud and his linesman have a truly miserable week.

8. LordMegson

LordMegson Registered User

Supports:
    WBA
    I banged on all window how average our squad was and needed reinforcements. We havent got the players to keep a high press all season. Hugil and zohore are only our out and out strikers and neither are good enough.

9. Blind Bigot

Blind Bigot Blind & Totally Bigotted

Supports:
    The Mighty Terriers.

Cheers mate, I made it 5mins after kick-off and was pretty surprised to see so many Town there! :D I managed to get a seat low down near the shitty barrier round the pitch. One of the stewards told me they'd been told to expect about 900 to 1000 travelling over, it looked and sounded more like double that amount. I thought we were very tentative in the first half and clearly followed a strict containment game plan, in complete contrast, the second 45, was a huge turnaround with wave after wave of dangerous Town attacks. I think we'd all more or less forgotten what scoring regularly felt like! :laugh: Great win! :D

Ooh-to-be-a... and Panja like this.
  10. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Small Fry against The Big Fish

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    Fergie's Championship record

160 Games
    42 Wins
    37 Draws
    81 Losses ( with 19 more away games this season ? )
    Points per game 1.02
    217 goals scored
    283 conceded .

Poor recruitment & unfit / injured players aren't helping .
    We've basically brought up & coming talent that'll be a force in League 1 next season who we'll then flog for a vast profit to balance the books .
    Then we've signed 2 ol' boys in Jack Marriott & Josh Knight both with Championship experience but ol' boys do sh*te when they come back to London Road ala Craig Mackail Smith , Lee Tomlin , George Boyd , they sell a few shirts though !

Panja likes this.
  11. Panja

Panja In a land down under

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    There must be some bad news, surely?

12. SpongeParr

SpongeParr Registered User

Supports:
    QPR

Thought we played well. It was a shame Dickie gifted you a goal but we play out from the back, so it will happen and he has been immense for us. Think it knocked his confidence a bit but it came back as the game went on.

Kakay (our RB) isn't up to this level, he isn't good enough. Looked more of a threat once Adomah came on. Likewise with Gray I thought he looked sharp when he came on, wanting to get behind, whereas Dykes didn't really do much.

Zemura looks brilliant. I don't know if it was because Kakay is shit but he looked really good, looked one of the best players out there. How old is he?

Willock was lucky to not get sent off for his little kick out. Not much contact but you can't do that. I thought the ref was poor to be honest, for both teams.

How we didn't get a second, I have no idea. We battered your goalkeeper and defence. Another day and we score one of those chances. Though, you were very unlucky with hitting the post, it would have been a cracking goal.

AFCB-Nutter and AVA like this.
  13. Riverside

Riverside Registered User

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    The famous CCFC derby tonight.

Both teams have made a decent start. Sure we’ll play to our strengths.

14. AFCB-Nutter

AFCB-Nutter Marauding Chezzer!

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Zemura and Anthony are both 21, been very impressed with them both so far this season, they've kind of come from nowhere to now being proper first team players.

Yes Willock could have been sent off, you see those given. We also had several booked players walking a tightrope, given how harsh (or downright impossible) Stroud was being at times. Whilst from our point of view Stroud seemed determined to give QPR everything, I wonder if at times his constant breaking up of the play to give his endless free kicks actually helped us keep a defensive shape, rather than allowing QPR's pressure to build gradually and pull us around more. I dunno, I just know he was bloody infuriating!

15. SpongeParr

SpongeParr Registered User

Supports:
    QPR

Warbs wasn't happy with him for not letting it flow. In the first half we had the opportunity to break form the half way line with WIllock, and he stopped the play to give a free kick rather than letting the play go.

Yeah Zemura was lucky that the officials didn't see him throw the ball back into the crowd. Would have been his second yellow and been off.

The challenge on Barbet near the end, when I saw it live I thought it was out of control. What did you think of it? I'd probably be annoyed if it were more than a yellow if it were QPR.

16. AVA

AVA Juan Iturbe Fan Club Member

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    It looked like a great tackle in the ground but I'll admit I haven't seen any replays. I think I'm biased because Barbet had given it the big one to the crowd in the first half so maybe I just enjoyed seeing him on the receiving end!

Interesting that Warburton wasn't happy that he didn't let it flow. I thought Stroud had helped QPR because your biggest threat by far was coming in the air so the free kicks/set pieces played into that but AFCB-Nutter makes an interesting point that it perhaps allowed us to get defensive shape.

It felt like he was giving everything to QPR at the end, though my biased lens, but regardless it just felt like the Keith Stroud show. Inconsistent, fussy, dramatic...took away from 2 good teams going at it. Definitely the best team we have played alongside WBA.

17. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Sounds like the classic fan/manager reaction that the ref didn’t like us and favoured the opposition tbh from Warburton ?

Probably doesn’t help the ref himself was from Bournemouth (born there I believe ?) - maybe trying not to be seen giving more decisions to you guys ?

#2777 Super_horns, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  18. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Wow that's bang out of order, that shouldn't be allowed surely!

19. AFCB-Nutter

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    He's a self-confessed Luton Town fan apparently, so he can't ref their games. We get him a couple times a season. Never seen him have such a horrendous game as last night before. He's from the south somewhere, although not clear where exactly, but he graduated up from the Wessex League pyramid which covers Dorset and Hampshire clubs.

20. AFCB-Nutter

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    I know we played WBA opening night so perhaps not a fair comparison, but QPR looked far slicker moving through and around the pitch than WBA. WBA were more clinical in the box I would say, but QPR's midfield is talented.

A robust but not over the top challenge? But honestly it's hard to be totally clear headed about it by the end. The ref had lost the players and crowd's confidence and irked so much anger throughout the game, that by the end we probably would have cheered our players snapping QPR's in half. Given that we were getting pulled up for the most ridiculous or even non-existing things, so fed up of it, we may as well get pulled for committing something proper! Haven't seen any replays beyond the goals yet.

SpongeParr likes this.