1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Match day thread

Discussion in 'Championship' started by HappilyLost, Jan 16, 2021.

1. SpongeParr

SpongeParr Registered User

Supports:
    QPR
    I am not confident going into that game. I think it will be another tough battle but I am looking forward to watching it. We could have even more injuries though so will have t osee what the club come back with.

Could be missing Grey (cf), Field (cm), Dykes (cf), Mccallum (lwb), Wallace (lwb), Chair (am), Thomas(cm), De Vjis(cb) and Willock (am). We don't have that much strength in depth so it's a worry.

2. TomPNE94

TomPNE94 Registered User

Supports:
    PNE
    Lavery a couple more weeks.

3. Tigerferry

Tigerferry A New Era Begins

Supports:
    Hull City
    We defended well last night, and generally speaking we are competent enough at it. It was one moment of madness that changed things yesterday. Most definitely caused by our lack of experience.

You are correct about the final third. We can pass it around but nobody has the killer instinct at this level to get into consistently good positions. Then we waste away the chances we do get.

We have failed to score in 11 of the 15 league games this season. A combination of poor forward players and manager at this level. Our main hope is that the Turks buy the club before January, but that would be some challenge for the new gaffer regardless.

On a side note, has there been a worse manager at this level than Grant McCann? I believe it is something ridiculous like 15 points of a possible 110 in the Championship since our turn in form. Add in some humiliating spankings and poor scoring records and he must be a contender.

Considering we won the league last season, that should show this lot have more than that in them...

4. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Must have missed that one but yeah, he was lucky no question. The kick alone would have been red more than 50% of the time. Big difference between probably losing the game and having an important player missing for 3 games with a violent conduct suspension, and him staying on the pitch and playing a crucial leadership role in the second half which was important to our win on top of his right place, right time goal. Sometimes you need a bit of luck to break out of a bad run and hopefully that was it.

5. David Bird

David Bird Registered User

Supports:
    Derby County
    I agree it would be great going to some different grounds, citys and towns but it would be a tough division to get out of. Think u boys will stay up anyway. Looking like Derby and Hull are doomed already.

Return of J likes this.
  6. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Sounds like Farke but with The Championship and League One rather than Premier League and Championship. Great in the lower league but for whatever reason can't find a way of getting results at the higher level and looks out of his depth.

7. Riverside

Riverside Registered User

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    Whichever manager sees our season out has a job in his hand. A squad low on confidence, senior pros underperforming perhaps resigned to their contracts not being renewed, promising but inconsistent youngsters looking to make their step-up, trying to improve form whilst introducing a new style of play. Leaking daft goals and lacking creativity and pace.

8. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    I hope you don't panic and appoint Hughton now for your sake!

Sent from my 6025H_EEA using Tapatalk

9. ForestRob

ForestRob Formerly roberth1117

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    I actually think Hughton might suit Cardiff’s squad better than ours - a key weakness for us under him was a lack of a target man that he’s used to playing with, leading to us hoofing out the back to no-one (most notably against Cardiff this season!).

With Moore leading the line, and a much greater threat from set pieces than us it may click for him there in a way it didn’t with us. Hughton’s particular failure with us was an inability to adapt his style to suit our mid table squad.

10. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    I suppose the end would justify the means if he stabilised them and finished 16th/17th but I think the fan base are desperate for a change in style at this point

#3870 RedDogChris, Nov 4, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  11. RednBlacklife

RednBlacklife Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Zemura out until Christmas apparently, big blow. First real test of the squad I suppose.

12. Riverside

Riverside Registered User

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    Yes, I think that's mostly true. Particularly if we'll be turning to the young players coming through who have come up through the ranks playing a more possession-based game with a fair bit of success.

13. Arkwright

Arkwright Barnsleytilidie

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    Friend seems to have been at a few of our games in various capacities....I think he's one of those refs who believes he is the most important person on the pitch, my idea of a good referee is one you hardly notice. We ended up with some scary moments in those last 15 minutes, I think we looked far more likely to be the next team to score if we had just carried on going at them....I never like us sitting back parking bus.

Ooh-to-be-a... likes this.
  14. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    So Preston at home tomorrow, I was fairly confident until they beat Bournemouth the other night. The manager has taken abit of a tonking but looking at the record they are reasonably difficult to beat and don't ship that many goals. With that mind I'd be happy with a grinded out victory similar to the Blackpool game, it would be nice to get some solid home form going under Cooper now.

15. Tigerferry

Supports:
    Hull City
    Lose tomorrow and we'll be cut adrift already.

So we'll be cut adrift.

16. LordMegson

LordMegson Registered User

Supports:
    WBA
    Boro at home tomorrow...

I dont like playing warnock sides.. Ever since bramall lane

17. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Pressures off on the weekend, a chance for us to try and play this style against one of the best teams in the league.

18. Arkwright

Arkwright Barnsleytilidie

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    Bit early for adrift talk mate.....and we not exactly world beaters atm! If you have some pace down flanks you could trouble us there, as we push wing backs up. We need another win as well. Getting into a 2 goal lead might help, as we are shit sitting back. Not exactly confident...mebbe a draw here?

19. Tigerferry

Supports:
    Hull City
    We've failed to score in 11 matches and nearly half of our goals came from one game. If you score twice we're already ****ed!

20. Blind Bigot

Blind Bigot Blind & Totally Bigotted

Supports:
    The Mighty Terriers.
    I hate playing a team where the supporters are full of concerns and negativity beforehand and it sounds like what we might face today at Cardiff City. Past histories tell me we're likely to balls it up and allow the opposition to play the best they've played for months if not the entire season so far. :D.....It's not funny really because that type of scenario has been played by us out too many times in the past. On paper etc, etc......In reality....disaster! :hmmm

Ooh-to-be-a... likes this.